SASS Wire Forum

Need opinions on tough brisket

J-BAR #18287

We buy several corned beef briskets around St. Patrick’s day.  The one we had in March was superb.  My missus cooked another one for supper tonight and I was disappointed because it was tough to chew.

What suggestions do you experts have for tenderizing corned beef brisket that has already been cooked snd sliced?  

Or is it unsalvagable?

What you have there is the next big high protein food fad...Corned Beef Jerky! :D

I can see it now....TV commercials, jingles on the radio...

”Men, Women, do you need a pick me up at the gym? Low on energy in the afternoon? How about nutrition on those long hikes but everything tastes like cardboard and that jerky they sell at the sport shop tastes like meat flavored gym socks. Well J-Bar has the cure and you are gonna love it! Folks, try J-Bar’s Brisket Jerky! It’s the best. It has a corned beef flavor and texture that lasts and lasts. Get some today at all the fine stores.

J-Bars Brisket Jerky! It’s whatcha need!”

:D

22 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

We buy several corned beef briskets around St. Patrick’s day.  The one we had in March was superb.  My missus cooked another one for supper tonight and I was disappointed because it was tough to chew.

What suggestions do you experts have for tenderizing corned beef brisket that has already been cooked snd sliced?  

Or is it unsalvagable?

Transcribed fom my wife's grandmothers handwritten cookbook:
Mrs. Cosby's Corn Beef Patties
Editor's Note: Given the final product, I
have to wonder if this was originally
"Pasties" rather than "Patties"

2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
1¼ cup chopped cooked corned beef
1½ cup canned tomatoes
small amount black pepper
Melt butter, add onions & cooked till tender
add flour and blend - then tomatoes &
corned beef bring to a boil, then simmer
for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Make dough of -
2 c flour - 1 teasp baking powder, ½ t salt
6 Tablespoons shortening, 1 egg yolk slightly
beaten, ⅓ cup milk - roll out ⅛ inch
thick, cut into squares, line muffin
tin, fill with mixture bring points
together & bake in 20 minutes at 425°F.
Serve with Bell Peppers, par boil 10 minutes
halve & fill with lima beans & yellow corn.
Serves 8

Hold up a sec...if you have the right sized punch you could make boolits, save a little money...You could win the match because the smell of corned beef in the air would distract fellow shooters. And for a bonus, the targets would still go “clang”! :D

Run it through a coarse meat grinder, mix in mayo, chopped onion, chopped sweet pickle, a dash of brown mustard and salt and pepper to taste.  Viola!! Corned beast sandwich spread.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Slice thin across the grain.. sammiches.

It is cut cross- grain: learned to do that a long time ago. And I was looking forward to sandwiches using the leftovers, but this one is still too chewy.

Chewy-I guess I have a Wooky brisket!

45 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

Run it through a coarse meat grinder, mix in mayo, chopped onion, chopped sweet pickle, a dash of brown mustard and salt and pepper to taste.  Viola!! Corned beast sandwich spread.

Now this sounds tasty!

24 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It is cut cross- grain: learned to do that a long time ago. And I was looking forward to sandwiches using the leftovers, but this one is still too chewy.

Chewy-I guess I have a Wooky brisket!

Wrap the left overs in foil. add a 1/4 cup of beer or any other liquid, wrap and seal tightly.  Place in oven a lowest setting and forget it.  I have let them go from 6 to 24 hours.  Works

I’d put it in the crock pot with a little chicken or beef broth and let it cook on low until dinner time and it will be very tender and delicious.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’d put it in the crock pot with a little chicken or beef broth and let it cook on low until dinner time and it will be very tender and delicious.

2 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Would cooking it in a pressure cooker work

Listen to Noz.  Pressure cooker and slow cooker will turn it to a mealy textured mess-it's not like we are British and need to eat boiled meats!

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Listen to Noz.  Pressure cooker and slow cooker will turn it to a mealy textured mess-it's not like we are British and need to eat boiled meats!

The slow cooker and Noz method ends up with the same result, I do it four or five times a year and it’s very tender brisket.

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Why does everyone ruin food with onions?:ph34r:

Yeah! They need to add salt and pepper with the onions...plain onions ruin stuff :blink:

J-BAR,

I'm too old, cranky and cantankerous to put up with a chunk of rubber meat.  Obviously, I don't even attempt to tenderize it.  Pitch it out and start over.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

J-BAR,

I'm too old, cranky and cantankerous to put up with a chunk of rubber meat.  Obviously, I don't even attempt to tenderize it.  Pitch it out and start over.

There’s an Irish Setter across the street that may get a special treat!

edit:

That’s not Haiku

But it’s the best I can do!  :D

21 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I use salt and a low and slow cooking temperature. I like to salt steaks at least 4 hours before cooking and a whole day when possible.

For all cuts of beef I cook between 215 and 225 degrees F. I also cook pork ribs at this temperature. Low and slow allows the colligens in the meat to breakdown.

For the most tender and juiciest beef cook until the internal temperature is 125 to 130 degrees F.   Then remove from low heat and sear the outside over a very hot flame or iron skillet . After searing the internal temp will be 135 to 145 degrees F. Let rest 5 minutes on a warm covered plate before slicing. 

E73E3F60-37D2-4F6F-AD43-36A784A6EE72.thumb.jpeg.f507730cb9f54f20b89bc5c0e8182098.jpeg

Brisket + beer + 6 hours on low in the Crockpot = delicious.

Thanks to all, especially my evil twin.

If you are looking for tender brisket,buy the point half.More fat=more tender and more flavor.The flat portion has less fat but tends to be tougher.Either one should be cooked fat side up .Wrapping in foil with your choice of added liquid is a good idea ,as is the low and slow method .225 to 250 usually works well.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

E73E3F60-37D2-4F6F-AD43-36A784A6EE72.thumb.jpeg.f507730cb9f54f20b89bc5c0e8182098.jpeg

Brisket + beer + 6 hours on low in the Crockpot = delicious.

Thanks to all, especially my evil twin.

A bit hard to tell from the photograph, but it looks like it wasn't cut across the grain.  That will give you a tough chew.

I read something one time that you want a certain side of the two briskets.  The reasoning went that whenever the cows stood up that 90% of the time they stand up with one leg/side first and that side was supposed to be tougher from all the use.  

10 hours ago, JD Lud said:

I read something one time that you want a certain side of the two briskets.  The reasoning went that whenever the cows stood up that 90% of the time they stand up with one leg/side first and that side was supposed to be tougher from all the use.  

probably too late to ask the cow which side it got up on

When briskets' price went through the roof I started buying 2" thick chuck roasts and I would smoke them for a while (doesn't seem to be any upper limit on time here) then wrap it in foil with-beer, orange juice, coke, doctor pepper, water, red wine- you choose and put it in the oven for an again unspecified length of time.

Always good!

Archived