SASS Wire Forum

A friend (now now dont be cruel:ph34r:) gave me some 45/70 cast rounds to try (Lyman mold 522gr postel type).

They werent lubed and so I have rolled them in some Lee Liquid Alox and dried them.

Can I load them as is over smokeless powder (again dont be cruel) without contaminating the powder or should I clean off the bottom of the proj or use a filler (I dont like this last option at all<_<)

untitled.png

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If it is on the bullet's base and a warm-hot day.

There's a chance-One I wouldn't take..........-_-

OLG

Thanks OLG, I was almost going to PM you as I knew you would have sage advice.

I will clean up the base and immediate sides of the base.

They will be going subsonic so shouldnt be a problem.

Let them dry for 24 hours and you will have no problem. The coating will hold up longer than the lead when you try to melt the bullet. The real trick is not to get too heavy a coat of Alox on the bullets. I thin the container with a little bit of 90% or higher alcohol and it all flows and coats just right with no problem. The biggest problem with Alox that I have heard is when the layer is simply too thick and has a tendency to foul the die when seating the bullet. A little bit goes a long way.

I agree with Warhorse; most folks use ‘way too much Alox.

I dilute about a tablespoon of Liquid Alox with about 6 to 8 ounces of mineral spirits (looks like concentrated tea and is very “watery”) and then use a little squirt on about 100 bullets at a time.  Agitate them in a little plastic cup with one hand while blowing them with a blow dryer to get them dry quickly. ( I’m trying to get just a slight color change on the bullet’s surface, more than that is a waste and will cause problems with buildup in your dies.)  Then roll them around in cornstarch.  The cornstarch keeps the freshly lubed bullets from being sticky.  I don’t have to wait for  them to dry any more than that. I can load them immediately after lubing.  Since they are not sticky, I don’t  have to worry about powder contacting the bullet’s base inside the case.

In your situation, if the bullets feel the least bit sticky, roll them around in cornstarch and you should be good to go.

If you find that unacceptable, dump the Alox bullets into a container of mineral spirits and let them sit a few days;  the Alox will eventually soak off.

51 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Thanks OLG, I was almost going to PM you as I knew you would have sage advice.

I will clean up the base and immediate sides of the base.

They will be going subsonic so shouldnt be a problem.

Just wipe the bullet's 'butt' on a towel.

OLG

36 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Then roll them around in cornstarch.  The cornstarch keeps the freshly lubed bullets from being sticky.  I don’t have to wait for  them to dry any more than that. I can load them immediately after lubing.  Since they are not sticky, I don’t  have to worry about powder contacting the bullet’s base inside the case.

When you fry them up, do you use a cast iron skillet? Wesson oil or lard?  Lightly salted? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ^_^

Thanks all,

I think I have definately overdone the lube on my first run (if a little is good, twice as much must be twice as good:rolleyes:).

I will have to find Aussie equivalants for some of your recipies; the only alcohol available in Australia is for drinking:P so mixing it with Alox is going to get me excommunicated here.

Cornstarch - This is what I found about Cornstarch on line here in Australia:

Cornstarch/Cornflour

Generally speaking, yes. For the purposes of what you probably need it for (which I assume is a recipe using cornstarch as a thickener) the answer would be yes.
If you want to get really technical, "cornflour" is an ambiguous term that can refer to cornstarch or cornmeal. In Australia, cornflour is generally made from wheat, rather than maize. So it will ususally say "wheaten cornflour" on the pack, and in fact is in no way related to corn. Cornstarch (US term) is a similar product, but is actually derived from corn. In the US cornflour would mean cornmeal, which we call polenta! Are you confused yet?? lol.

If you think you have used too much Alox, rinse it off and reapply it with a thinner coat.  No harm done to the bullets.  Wheat flour would probably work just fine too, as a coating to prevent gunpowder from sticking to the bullet’s base.  Any non-reactive coating will prevent gunpowder from sticking to the lube. I don’t get leading or ignition problems with cornstarch coatings over Alox.  And it is nor my idea...you will find it mentioned in other forums.

22 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

I will have to find Aussie equivalants for some of your recipies; the only alcohol available in Australia is for drinking:P so mixing it with Alox is going to get me excommunicated here. 

In England they call it methylated spirits.

Maybe the same in Oz?

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In England they call it methylated spirits.

Maybe the same in Oz?

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Mineral spirits = turpentine = paint thinner 

Again, those are for drinking here:blink:

Only joking (well in the main), thanks I will redo with much less (diluted) Alox and roll in Cornflour (I have seen that here).

Thanks to the collective Brains trust!

I coat my rifle bullets heavy. Never an issue. Ever. Never. 

I've cast and shot and gave out hundreds of thousands of bullets, every one coated with Alox. Love the stuff. 

Heat it in scalding water to thin up. No need to dilute with anything.

12 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Now from what I hear all the alcohol in Aussie land is a minimum of 90%.

Archived