SASS Wire Forum

do you have an 'old' '66 ? what does it like? .454?

Throckmorton,23149

so I decided to actually sight in my Uberti-made '66. It's an early one, the rear sight slot being closer to the receiver.

it shoots .452 bullets all over the place. !! Came home and found a few  .454 boolits to slug the bore.

VOILA, she measures . 454...does yours, if you have checked yours ??  

Vintage 2002 Uberti ;66 brass frame carbine has always be loaded with Ideal 454255, 0.454 base bullets and the groups are accurate

Mine is also at .429 :blink:

Mine are .451.5 (slugged)So .452-.454 work just fine .... The other Slugs out at .400 and I use .400.85 - .401 Bullets .....

Jabez Cowboy

I'v noah clue.  All my Brass rifles are Henrys (except 1) and are 45s.  They all ring the steel at "Cowboy" range and take down 6" flipper/floppers just fine so I never bothered.  I shoot 452s in em.  By actually current '66 is a 44 and I use 430 bullets innit.  Same result as above.

with our 'long range' side matches upcoming, 'minute of close steel plate ' won't cut it on the 100 yard ram silhouette,so a group  rather than a pattern would be much nicer. 

Howdy- Don't have an Uberti '66, but do have an Uberti '73. It slugged at .452".  Shoots that diameter bullet ( at typical cowboy velocity ) well enough, have tried some Hornady swaged lead , dry lubed bullets ( soft, no lube groove ) ; they shot fine as well, but being so soft, there was no advantage to trying to push them faster.

By contrast, I have a late production JM Marlin with the SHALLOW  "Ballard" rifling that had become typical of marlins just before they closed down and were sold to Remington ; it slugged right at .450". Shoots well ( did have a Marble's tang sight installed, as they just flat work better for me. The 73 has the usual semi-buckhorn ).

My '66 Carbine is from 1994, the bore slugs .4535 diameter. 

I have always fed it .454 diameter bullets from a Lyman #454190*. Never had a problem. Groups 5rds into 2 1/2" at 50yrds from the bench, just resting both elbows on the bench. 

I had a brass "top/bead" added to the front sight and a Williams Full Buckhorn rear sight. Did the same thing to a 1988 '73 Carbine in .44WCF. 

*Cast of 50/50  COWW/#2, Lubed with White Label Lube's BAC. Sized & Lubed in Lyman 450.

12 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Mine measures .358". :D

A word to the wise: You shouldn't try to chamber a .454; .452 or even a .429

Trust me on this.

LaughingSmiley.gif

On another note, how do you go about measuring the bore of a '66 or a '73?

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

On another note, how do you go about measuring the bore of a '66 or a '73?

Drive a SOFT lead slug through the barrel and measure that with a mic. You'll wand the lead slug to be 2-3 thousandths larger than what you think it should be. So .431 if you think you're  bore is .429.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Drive a SOFT lead slug through the barrel and measure that with a mic. You'll wand the lead slug to be 2-3 thousandths larger than what you think it should be. So .431 if you think you're  bore is .429.

Got that, and I have done my Sharps, Rolling Block etc, from the breech, but how do you do the '66 and '73 style rifles?

From the muzzle or should you remove the barrel?

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Got that, and I have done my Sharps, Rolling Block etc, from the breech, but how do you do the '66 and '73 style rifles?

From the muzzle or should you remove the barrel?

From the muzzle, slug will come out on top of the carrier; open the lever while doing it.

OK, Thanks, I'll try that with a wood dowel and a "starter" from my muzzle loader.

I just know enough about gunsmithing to know I don't know much.

Just enough to be dangerous!!

couch.gif

Archived