SASS Wire Forum

Math problem

Alpo

You have an old car, with a mechanical speedometer/odometer.

You drive 150 miles and the odometer says you drove 200.

Would the speedometer have been reading high or low? If you were driving at a steady "55", would you have really been going closer to 45 or to 65?

Seems to me it would read high - that while you're doing the double nickel, everyone would be passing you while blowing their horn and flipping you off.

Looking for a second opinion.

If you were Farmer Brown working with Farmer Jones to plough 140 acres of parsnips in 6 hours it would read high.

If you were Banker James on a train going west from Chicago it would read low.

You would be going slower than indicated.

Ask anyone who has put bigger tires on their truck or Jeep.

With bigger tires than stock, you will be going faster than indicated and odometer will indicate fewer miles traveled.

Therefore if you travel more miles than indicated, you would also be going slower than indicated.

No matter how thin you slice the baloney, you can still throw a brick through a plate glass window.

With this in mind, I would initially drive by one of the street-side radar speed signs and see where it reads.
After that, I'd get on the freeway, hold it at indicated 60mph and have the passenger run the exact time.
Calculate from there.

Or,  " I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
--Ellen Ripley

Archived