SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Laws (Illinois)

Ohartless1

As for local or state laws i'm no help to you, however the ATF says it's ok to do so. Also there's no rule for sass saying that you cant make your own powder. I make my own. Now having said that..... Do lots and lots of research before attempting it. I do not make any of it in my house. It is a risk as many have said even the pros have suffered horrible accidents. I run my mill outside via an extension cord about 100 feet from the house and my neighbors buildings are even further away. Always make it in small batches. I've never attempted anything larger than about 1/4 lb at a time just in case. I've been making mine for almost a year and I just used a few rounds at the last match I attended. I always test each batch for quality and now that I believe I have my recipe down to where it's the same each and every time i'll start using it on a regular basis. 

Thanks for the time everyone spent on this. For me the issue was close at “explosive”.   We’ve all done stupid stuff. I’m just trying to prevent the burnt hair and trips to the ER. To a teenager dads are the dumbest people on earth so I was coming here for some other opinions about the issue. 

HOWEVER, Wikipedia is not a source for information. Mass opinion doesn’t make it true or right. Even public schools can’t use Wikipedia as a source for information. 

As you can see I shoot black powder... A lot. I have no desire to make it, because of all the reasons given above.

A good source on the legality would be the Illinois State Rifle Association.

Atta boy Sarge !!! It ain't all bad here.... except the taxes, ignorant politicians and commie gun laws !! All of us Southerners are hoping for the break from northern Illinois  !!! On the serious side, i think there is a law in Illinois that you can only possess 10lb of black powder at one time....  what i was told where i purchase it at for my reloading....

Archived