SASS Wire Forum

Well, That was a wake up call! Or how I discovered I need to pay attention & practice what I preach!

Pat Riot

Just a little while ago I had finished my workout and was grabbing another cup of coffee when I heard a strange noise. It came from my garage and it sounded like something got knocked over. It was a definite sound, not my imagination. It was a sound one might hear if someone had crawled through a window and knocked something off the work bench...was my garage window locked? Hmmm <_<

I immediately went to one of my gun stashes, opened the drawer, hit the buttons to unlocked the handgun safe and WHACK! The little safe popped open about 2 1/2” and hit the upper edge of the drawer opening. I couldn’t get the handgun out. :o I had to grab the little safe and turn it 90 degrees to get the door open. Wasting precious seconds...

The sound I heard WAS something hitting the floor in the garage. It was a box I had leaned against the work bench. It toppled over. There was no intruder, there was no break in. The window was locked. All is well...:)

Now, I just recently had a discussion with a coworker about being prepared in case of intruders or emergencies and making sure you can get to your gun and phone in the dark and making sure you have a flashlight and a safe place and yada, yada, yada...

I need to practice what I preach!

When I moved back to California I started putting my stash guns in handguns safes. 

1. Because I have a teenage grandson and he has friends and they do come around on occasion. I can’t have on of my grandson’s friends, or even my grandson getting their hands on a firearm (which I doubt should be a worry but...)

2. California laws are so freakin’ lame. I wouldn’t want some state protected bad guy easily acquiring one of my shooters and me going to jail for it.

When I put that little safe in that drawer I tested my ability to open the safe and retrieve the gun and then absentmindedly turned the little safe 90 degrees so I could put a smoker cookbook in the drawer too...:blink:

What the hell was I thinking?!

Anyway, please check your own situations and make sure you don’t have PatRiotitus, a virulent form of absent mindedness. :rolleyes:

The cure for this disease is not the kicking oneself in the butt, like I have been doing....I think it’s following up with what you have planned out. I am not sure. I will have to report back at a later time. 

Boy, talk about a “Duh-huh” moment...

Yea, I have a gun in just about every room hidden someplace. Around once a year the grandkids will come and they all but one get locked up. That one is somewhere no one can get too but me. The only one I really hate to put up is the one by the front door, but, that is the way it is. Just got a lock safe for a trip coming up soon to the West coast. Oregon and Washington.

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What is this 'workout' thing of which you speak?

It's a form of self-punishment. I have some bad habits. High volume weekend ice cream intake is one of them. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I moved back to California I started putting my stash guns in handguns safes. 

After living in the Peoples Republik of Kaleeforneeyah for the last 53 years, I know full well that any use of a firearm against an intruder will be a total life changing event.  The State or the perp's family will destroy you with lawsuits and criminal charges.

It will take everything you own, just to defend yourself.
Knowing this, a split second decision is required to decide between financial ruin or being dead.
Sometimes, it is hard to know which is worse.

I want out of this God-forsaken 3rd world hell, but cannot (so far) find a place to go.
The wife wants NV.. I just want OUT.

Slightly off-topic, but once I was shooting at the range and decided to draw my CCW piece and empty it at the target. It fired once then jammed. That was a real wake-up call for me, realizing I was carrying a single-shot handgun for so long. I never did figure out why it happened so I simply sold that gun as I could no longer trust it.

38 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Slightly off-topic, but once I was shooting at the range and decided to draw my CCW piece and empty it at the target. It fired once then jammed. That was a real wake-up call for me, realizing I was carrying a single-shot handgun for so long. I never did figure out why it happened so I simply sold that gun as I could no longer trust it.

A friend of mine always carried a snubbie Ruger .38. He bragged on it every chance he got.

I asked him how often he practiced with it and he said "Enough".

We went to an indoor shooting range and he pulled it out to shoot it and it was locked up tighter than a drum. He couldn't pull the hammer back.

He would never say what happened. I think he never maintained it. Until after that day, anyway.

Archived