SASS Wire Forum

Hammered Double's

Been thinking about picking up a Pedersoli hammered double coach gun from Taylors but was just offered a hammered CZ coach at a good price. They are both pretty to look at but which one will function better in competition.

33 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I THINK the Pedersoli is the upgraded version of the TTN 1878 Colt.

Only Cimarron is importing the TTN. The Pedersoli is different. Very nice to look at, where the TNN is more plain.

I handled a new CZ recently. The hammers are quite different than the TTN as is the Pedersoli. Whatever you get, it's gonna need some work for our game. I prefer the hammer placement and shape of the TTN as they are closer together, making one-handed cocking easier -- provided you grind off the horns.

YMMV

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1878-coach-gun-12-ga-20-barrel-standard-blue.html

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/186614-pedersoli-wyatt-earp-coach-gun/

I shoot a Pedersoli coach gun and love it. Had to lighten the hammer springs and the break-open spring. Pedersoli's are very well made and fitted and will take the abuse of cowboy shooting. Nicely shaped stock and fore grip. RR

Russian Baikal hammered Shotgun is tough as a tank and looks dang nice if you can find one.   

597e45e52dfcb_Colt1878collectionJuly2017.jpg.f27d10536730f91c32d82da99690d811.jpg599d18123eef9_CimarronvsColt1878lockAugust2017.jpg.1f556c800de678bd30085cae6a0f3e6a.jpg5a4b579ba20b2_Cimarron1878withColt1878Jan2018.jpg.cdc0dea092914e0e1c8ffb886ffb22fb.jpg

The Cimarron 1878 (commonly called the TTN)  is a crude copy of the Colt 1878.  Here pictured with an original Colt.

597925d0f05f1_CZ-USAhammercoachJuly2017.jpg.fa812bc3aa10044da1b69035f1e22819.jpg597926448a143_CZ-USAhammercoachgunJuly2017a.jpg.f489464f46886b01cdca4135e81bb269.jpg

The CZ-USA is not a reproduction of a Colt TTN.  It's just a classic hammer double. It's the one gun I shoot right out of the box. All it needed was limbering up by opening and closing a few hundred times and shooting it some.

I have several hammered doubles, including a very nice Rossi.

I have always felt that the TTN/cimarron 1878 is the tops for cowboy action, the Rossi is next.

With a little work the CZ works fine but with the hammers spread wide it is a little harder to get it cocked than a TTN.

I have given up my FFL license and am selling off most of my inventory, which are now personal guns.

Thank you,

Johnny Meadows

CZ-USA,  Grace Kelly.  TTN, Phyllis Dillard.     (Umm, you meant Diller I believe)

Nope, TTN/Cimarron => Lindsey Vonn

Fast, fast, rugged, fearless, strong.

Good luck, GJ

You can easily cock both hammers of a CZ-USA by using the T-bone method of sweeping your left hand over the top and cocking the hammers while using the left thumb to break the top lever.

Here is a hull test I made that shows me using this method.  Keep in mind I'm a 60 second stage shooter.  

I have and really like the Pedersoli.  Probably the best built Hammer Double on the market.  When new, stiff opening, heavy top lever, Heavy Main Springs.  Needs a little rubbin and buffin.  Triggers are so close to "in-line" switch trigger is not needed.  I have shot but don't own a CZ.  I liked the CZ as well but it was some stiff (New).  Wouldn't let me take it apart (darn).  I really really like the Pedersoli.

Major, if you have a chance to handle the CZ, that will tell you how it points for you.  I have a Liberty II which is said to be (and looks like) the same gun, and it does not have enough drop to the stock for me, as compared to my TTN, so I tend to shoot it high.  I haven't compared it to a Pedersoli though.

In two weeks a friend is going to let me shoot his CZ worked on by Johnny Meadows. Try before you buy.

Archived