SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Coach Gun not liking to break open after firing.

Jaan

Hello everyone,

I have a Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun that I bought new 2 years ago...

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1878-coach-gun-12-ga-20-barrel-standard-blue.html

...Now I've not shot this gun much so I took it out to the range the other day to break it in a bit on the skeet field for fun.  After firing I was having trouble breaking it open to extract the shells.  Now, if the gun is empty, it opens very easily.  I was using target loads.

What could be the issue?  Do I need to buy better shells?  Will it "break in" eventually?

new guns can be ammo sensitive when just starting out.  everything needs to rub againt each other knocking off the high spots.  Hand fitting is a thing of the past--at least for the price of most cowboy guns

I just spent yesterday working on a single shot 12 ga that wouldn't lock with or without ammo.  worked on both sides of the barrel catch, the rear of the chambers and the half notch where the barrel mate with the receiver.  After 3 hour I had taken off enough that it locks up like a champ now.

also reducted the force of the auto ejector so the buckaroo that uses it doesn't loose and eye when he breaks open the gun.

short of doing something like that repeated shooting will loosen the gun though it will take much longer.

I've also knowns folks to cover all the moving parts with toothpaste and repeatedly work the gun--the grit in the toothpaste will do a good job polishing the mating surfaces--just be sure to clean it out when done  :D

1 hour ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

the box on mine said "brass shells only" meaning brass base, not steel.

I think it means all brass only, no plastic, paper or steel :P

Is it still hard to open if you cock the hammers before trying to open it?

Most likely problem is that the firing pins are not retracting due to either sticking in the primers or there could be a burr on the firing pin or the hole it protrudes through keeping one or both from retracting. Talk to a competant SXS Shotgun smith and I am sure he can help you correct the issue.

Has nothing to do with steel vs brass bases on the shells. 

It is possible that a different brand of ammo may help as some brands of primers are more suspectible to this than others.

49 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Is it still hard to open if you cock the hammers before trying to open it?

Most likely problem is that the firing pins are not retracting due to either sticking in the primers or there could be a burr on the firing pin or the hole it protrudes through keeping one or both from retracting. Talk to a competant SXS Shotgun smith and I am sure he can help you correct the issue.

Has nothing to do with steel vs brass bases on the shells. 

It is possible that a different brand of ammo may help as some brands of primers are more suspectible to this than others.

Could be...  

Maybe check to see if hammers are rebounding to safty notch.

Examine primers in fired hulls to see if they look excessively deep or marks where firing pins plowed out.

Check firing pins to see if they have mushroomed or otherwise sticking.  I seem to recall someone selling hardened replacement firing pins for these guns.

If you are using Winchester...or another brand with a softer primer...try some Remington STS. They have a harder primer. I know of someone that has an expensive shotgun that couldn't hardly open it after firing using Winchester low noise low recoil. She switched to Remington STS...no more problems.

The newer 1878 clones are using real light springs inside the firing pin caps.  These light springs caused a newer (5 years old?) 1878 of mine to lock up after firing.   I had to bang the stock hard against the floor to get the pins to release from the primers.  

Put in springs that were about 50% stronger from a Brownells spring selection set.   Same outside diameter, but thicker wire and a tighter coil pitch.   That has solved the problem for me. 

Oh, I was using Remington STS shells, factory loads.  Those are high quality brass case heads.   Case head material will usually not lock up the beginning of opening a double barrel.  Steel bases can cause the hulls to stick badly and not be extractable, though, but that still allows action to at least crack open.  

Good luck, GJ

Archived