SASS Wire Forum

Winchester AA Factory Shells Not Passing Case Check

Tony Crowe

I have just started having some AA shells stick here Down Under as well:(

I thought it was me or I hadn't cleaned the gun enough (or at all:rolleyes:)

I have bought a gauge and will be checking in future, thanks for the heads up.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, Tony Crowe said:

I don't normally case check new factory shotgun shells, but decided to so with a new box today.  This was after having some fired shells stick in my SxS at a match this weekend.  In a box of 25 AA shells, ten (10) did not pass.  This seems to be a problem.  Anyone else had this experience?  Should I start checking all shells, new and reloaded? 

It’s not only AA’s, I checked 3 boxes of factory STS for the Georgia State Match and had 15 that wouldn’t fall out if the gauge. I tried them in my Super Sizer and it wouldn’t help most of them. I usually get more factory shells that won’t gauge than I do with my reloads. 

Randy

Well durn RSE, I just bought 3 cases of STS Nitros today. Plan to shoot them on sporting clays and reload them for CAS

After checking several cases of factory shells.  The AA"s had a few that hung up on the rim.  The STS's  had a few with a bulge half way down the case.  The best results were the Rem Gun Club.  I am using the Lyman checker Garrison Joe recommended a few months ago. Foe a while I thought it was faulty,  have very few that didn't pass.   Just marked the base to identify or reboxed for practice.    GW

48 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Well durn RSE, I just bought 3 cases of STS Nitros today. Plan to shoot them on sporting clays and reload them for CAS

Hillbilly, once you reload them they will probably be fine.

Randy

Think the results quoted above that folks have been having with several sets of factory loads shows you that the factories are relaxing their quality assurance checks - probably because they are selling 12 gauge shells as loss leaders and coupon clippers.

All the more reason to be checking shells for proper size before trying to blaze through stages.  

Good luck, GJ

Archived