SASS Wire Forum

APP

Asa Smith

I Shot the Kansas State Black Powder match this weekend.

It rained on Saturday, didn't take the time to clean my guns (ie. lazy) just sprayed the outside with Remoil that evening.

I have "antiqued" (removed most of the bluing from) my pistols and Shotgun so wasn't worried about them but my new Winchester had me a little concerned.

Shot them again Sunday and still did not have the energy to clean them last night,  just dried the water in the magazine tube (they were still wet from Saturday).

This morning I feared for the worst.

The pistols and shotgun had a very little rust on the outside (adds to the look) so no worries.

Disassembled all of them and all were perfect!

Cleaned the powder residue out of the barrels and cylinders,  using mixture of Murphy's oil soap, Hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol, it came out cleaner, easier than I would have expected when using smokeless!

My Winchester still looks new!

I had used APP with the rifle and pistol rounds.

This stuff was easier to clean than I ever expected, way easier than smokeless!

My fears of BP are gone!

Just may win me over to the dark side!

(I know APP is a sub, so don't be a hater);)

My 2 cents

Asa Smith

PS should have mentioned that my Winchester is chambered in 44-40, my first gun in that caliber, thought it was (and it is) the perfect caliber for black...

Even with real BP, I hardly ever clean them right away any more, either.  I spray chambers, bores, and the outsides of the guns with Ballistol at the range before putting them into their socks.  Easy cleanup with no rust a day, week, or month later.

The only truly corrosive powder is Pyrodex.  I shoot a lot of APP and the only time I do anything special is if my firearms get rained on.  If they do then I wipe them with a dry cloth to remove all the water I can. Spray a little pure ballistol down the barrels and into the actions. Finish by wiping the outside down with a cloth with Ballistol on it.  I also do not leave them in a closed case but store them so that they can get airflow allowing any water I missed to evaporate.. 

With APP I have shot at 3 different clubs on 3 consecutive days for a total of 18 stages doing nothing more than the above and had zero issues and no corrosion issues.  

Cleaning up after shooting BP or the subs ia always easier than cleaning after shooting smokeless. 

Welcome to the dark side.

34 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Clean guns?!?!

Sounds like voodoo!!

While APP does not rust my guns, the residue buildup can stop them from functioning.  After every day at a major match the buildup gets washed off.  It is removed quite easily.

Asa: I was also worried about rust,(used APP also) had the same results you had, cleaned very easy, used the same cleaner you did but with a different name.

Was a great time, and great shoot. See you down the trail. Bulldog

All good stuff. For some reason I was shooting BP from shotgun and rifle. App in pistols.  I guess my bullets didn't have quite enough lube for the rifle and the barrel would be caked up pretty bad which made it a little hard to clean. At the GA state match I shot a total of 16 stages between the black powder event and main match. On the last stage I fired ten APP rounds through the rifle and it actually cleaned the barrel quite nicely. Cleaning the barrel after the match was a breeze. Don't know if any of you have tried this. Heading to PA state this week and will do the same. 

18 hours ago, Bulldog Brown said:

Was a great time, and great shoot. See you down the trail. Bulldog

I had a great time!

Looking forward to the next one!

I'm thinking of loading some black powder in the near future.  I'll keep APP in mind.  Sounds like a good one.  Wish we could have been at the shoot in Parker.  Maybe next year.  Saw on the weather radar this morning eastern Kansas was under the gun.  Hope you all are ok.  Take care.

Archived