SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose

Rosie’s Restaurant in downtown Escondido, Ca. was recently featured on Restaurant Rescue on the Food Network. Robert Irvine the British chef comes in and helps struggling owners and chefs improve their cooking and spends $10,000.00 fixing the place up. Before it was Rosie’s it was Champions Diner. It’s next door to my barber and I’ve been going to both of them for over 30 years. That may change.

Once a week I like to go out for breakfast and have Eggs Benedict. Before Rosie’s was made over they had this chef that turned out the best eggs Benedict I’ve ever had. The eggs were poached soft and the hollandaise sauce was perfect and the home fries wonderful. The show was filmed about three months ago and since then they can’t get their eggs Benedict even close to what it was before. The chef that used to work there is gone and whoever the chef of the day is now has no clue on how to poach eggs. I like the eggs poached soft so they’re still runny, it just adds to the Benedict. Today the waitress sets my order down in front of me and I could tell right away that the eggs were poached hard and told her so. She didn’t believe me so I cut into them and sure enough hard poached eggs. Well in the past when I complained about the eggs she’d go get a couple of more eggs poached correctly and I’d add them to the Benedict, today she didn’t even offer but she did give me %50 off my bill. I’ve tried the eggs Benedict at other restaurants around the area and they can’t poach eggs either.

IMHO, this place was better before it was “rescued”. It still has the tables that rock, new chairs that are to low and cooks that can’t poach eggs.

Since the makeover the hard poached eggs are standard and yes I’ve asked for soft poached. The problem is the only other place that came close is much farther away and much busier and noisy. Well I never smelled a mold odor before and the new tile looks great. I prop up my table leg but the next time I get there the prop is gone and I have to do it again.

I too cannot abide a hard-poached egg. At home, I use one of those boiling pans with suspended ramekins so I can get them perfect every time; just like this morning.

Though it's not easy with Eggs Benedict sometimes. Lot of heat control and timing issues.

34 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I too cannot abide a hard-poached egg. At home, I use one of those boiling pans with suspended ramekins so I can get them perfect every time; just like this morning.

Though it's not easy with Eggs Benedict sometimes. Lot of heat control and timing issues.

I was the first customer this morning so you’d think there would be no pressure to get it right. They used to have a great big tall African American cook that cooked the eggs perfect every time but he hasn’t been around in quite some time. 

Keep sending them back until they get it right.   If you order soft poached eggs,  or eggs over easy, or however,  that is what should end up on the table in front of you.  There is no excuse for the service you are getting. 

When I get a wobbly table I prop the legs with sugar packets. Real sugar, not artificial sweetener packets. I leave them there when I leave.

At night when they mop up the packets get wet and the mop smears sticky sugar everywhere. 

After a while, if this keeps happening, the cleaners will complain and someone adjusts the tables.

My part of the world is having a real problem with biscuits and gravy.  ALL of the restaurants hav gone to pre-prepared gravy and frozen biscuits.  Unless I make it, a good breakfast is hard to find.

3 hours ago, Noz said:

My part of the world is having a real problem with biscuits and gravy.  ALL of the restaurants hav gone to pre-prepared gravy and frozen biscuits.  Unless I make it, a good breakfast is hard to find.

I saw that in North Carolina years ago. It’s pretty bad when McDonald’s biscuits and gravy are the best around...actually McDonald’s biscuits and gravy are pretty darn good, but when southern cafes and restaurants get beat out by McDonald’s? That is pretty flippin’ lame if you ask me.

The best biscuits and gravy in the world are served at Cindy’s in Molalla, Oregon. 

Howdy,

Now you went an done it.

I gotta head over for EB at the one place around that makes em right.

When I put up with a trip to the doc, I stop at the place for EB.

Last time they were jammed busy so I missed going.

Not only will they make EB but they will make backwards EB.

If you never tried it.....the cook puts all the stuff on the hash browns

and the biscuit put on the side with butter an jam.

Only place for miles that gets EB right.

Something to think about while in the cat scan.

Best

CR

5 hours ago, Noz said:

My mom was a pretty good cook but her gravy was not so good. I told myself when I left home that I’d never eat biscuits and gravy again and I think in the last 48 years I’ve tried it a couple of times and I still don’t care for it, probably the early training. Her biscuits were good but the gravy not so much. 

I guess it's how you're raised. Mama told me one time, when she was a little girl, she spent the night with a friend. For breakfast the next morning they had biscuits and gravy.

Not "sausage gravy". Not "sawmill gravy" (whatever the heck that is). Just plain ol' milk gravy over biscuits. 'Cause they was poor. Couldn't afford anything else.

Mama said, "We was poor, but at least we could afford food. Didn't have to live on biscuits and gravy."

So we never had biscuits and gravy when I was growing up. We was poor, but we weren't THAT poor.

And whenever I see someone chowing down on biscuits and gravy, or turnip greens and black eyes, or chicken backs and pig ears, I think, "Well, hell. At least I can afford real food".

Best biscuits and gravy I ever had was at a fish camp in B.C. Canada. Bunch of us went there for a long weekend. 

Brought our own food. One of the guys showed up with a gallon of sausage gravy, and 4 dozen biscuits. His wife and

Mother-in-Law made for us. It was all gone in the first day. 

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

And whenever I see someone chowing down on biscuits and gravy, or turnip greens and black eyes, or chicken backs and pig ears, I think, "Well, hell. At least I can afford real food".

That IS real food.  Except the chicken backs & pigs ears.  Love me some turnip greens & black-eyed peas.

I thought the whole point of Eggs Benedict was to be able to cut the egg and have the yolk run down over everything?

11 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I thought the whole point of Eggs Benedict was to be able to cut the egg and have the yolk run down over everything?

Exactly and when it doesn’t it’s not real Eggs Benedict.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, Noz said:

Net to the ones I make at home, Jamie's Waffle Express in Prescott Valley and the sister store, Waffles and more in Prescott, make about the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had.  The only exception was a place NE of Balboa Park in San Diego.

B & G is my go to breakfast.  here are lots of places that almost get it right, but almost none that get it great.

Archived