SASS Wire Forum

1858 Remington Conversion tune-up

Wild Will Bartell

I came into a pair of well used 1858 Remington conversions in .45. They had some reliability issues in the beginning, but I think I've worked out most of them and they've been running pretty good if I keep them really clean. I would like to work on repairing/replacing worn parts that may be causing some intermittent issues like cylinder binding during cocking. There does seem to be some fore-to-aft cylinder play, as well as some slight overall looseness of the cylinder in it's relation to the base pin. I'm told that the Italian made parts are somewhat soft compared to what is available (?) from American manufacturers. I've looked, and asked around, but cannot find any of these American manufacturers. Any suggestions here? In a last case scenario, who is a reputable 1858 'smith I could send my guns to if need be?

Thanks for your help, Pards.

WWB

3 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

I'm told that the Italian made parts are somewhat soft compared to what is available (?) from American manufacturers. I've looked, and asked around, but cannot find any of these American manufacturers.

Howdy

You are looking in vain. There are no American manufacturers of the 1858 Remington. Yes, some Italian parts do tend to be softer than American parts, but you are going to have to replace any worn parts with Italian parts. Check VTI gunparts.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

WWB

Bring them to the Texas Ten Horns Cody Dixon Match this weekend. I'll bring mine and we can have some fun. :)

VTI is where I get my parts.  I'll also bring you information on tuning and adjusting them that Larsen Pettifogger was kind enough to publish a few years back.

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

WWB

Bring them to the Texas Ten Horns Cody Dixon Match this weekend. I'll bring mine and we can have some fun. :)

VTI is where I get my parts.  I'll also bring you information on tuning and adjusting them that Larsen Pettifogger was kind enough to publish a few years back.

Thanks Dave. I'll see you and your (my?) 45-70 rifle on Sat.

6 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

I came into a pair of well used 1858 Remington conversions in .45. They had some reliability issues in the beginning, but I think I've worked out most of them and they've been running pretty good if I keep them really clean. I would like to work on repairing/replacing worn parts that may be causing some intermittent issues like cylinder binding during cocking. There does seem to be some fore-to-aft cylinder play, as well as some slight overall looseness of the cylinder in it's relation to the base pin. I'm told that the Italian made parts are somewhat soft compared to what is available (?) from American manufacturers. I've looked, and asked around, but cannot find any of these American manufacturers. Any suggestions here? In a last case scenario, who is a reputable 1858 'smith I could send my guns to if need be?

Thanks for your help, Pards.

WWB

ask all the questions you want here, http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php

its full or remington shooters and collectors, like myself. i shoot a pair of uberti 58's converted to 45 colt myself, they are the guns in my avatar

Archived