SASS Wire Forum

73 Winchester serial no 68_, need help

Kirk James

Need help in getting information on a 1873 Winchester with a three digit 68_ serial no.  I have copies of two letters from Winchester, Cody Firearms Museum.  In the 1st letter it states 2 1/2" Target.  This is absent from a later letter.  Both are signed by Waddy Colvert and are two years apart.  This firearm was restored by Roger Kurtz of Rogers Restoration.  What does the 2 1/2 " target tell us?  Does it have anything to do with the One in One Thousand standard?  Who would you trust appraising such a firearm if you did want to sell it?  Also the order number was different on both letters although very close.  The serial no.s are the same on both letters and all other information is the same.  Have little knowledge although I have heard Roger Kurtz, now retired, was excellent.   

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Pictures would be very nice.Lots for you to think about did you purchase this? and if so is the rifle matching or is it a made up parts gun and on and on. You need an expert and the SASS wire is not the place for this potential VALUABLE Winchester.

Congratulations , if only that Winchester could talk what stories it must have.

:FlagAm:

9 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Need help in getting information on a 1873 Winchester with a three digit 68_ serial no.  I have copies of two letters from Winchester, Cody Firearms Museum.  In the 1st letter it states 2 1/2" Target.  This is absent from a later letter.  Both are signed by Waddy Colvert and are two years apart.  This firearm was restored by Roger Kurtz of Rogers Restoration.  What does the 2 1/2 " target tell us?  Does it have anything to do with the One in One Thousand standard?  Who would you trust appraising such a firearm if you did want to sell it?  Also the order number was different on both letters although very close.  The serial no.s are the same on both letters and all other information is the same.  Have little knowledge although I have heard Roger Kurtz, now retired, was excellent.   

Check with Lock Stock & Barrel Investments, Spencer Hoglund (Lead Dispenser).  He can put you on the right track with an appraisal and how/where to sell it.

Thank you everyone.  My father in law collected some very nice firearms within his means.   A friend of the family was an a Winchester collector and collected very nice originals between 1866 and 1895.  When he could not find a nice representation of a 1876  carbine, he bought one for a restoration and had Roger's Restoration complete the work.  My father in law, John, had purchased a 1873 from a friend and had Roger's restore it .  Rogers put on a new barrel, stock, magazine tube and it came back looking like a pristine  100 year old firearm in 38-40.  It has a serial no, in the 31427_. and we shoot it as it was test fired.  John went to the Las Vegas antique show where he purchased another 1873 serial no 68_   but  bad shape.  It is a 44-40 with a 24 1/4 in octagon  barrel with a set trigger.  The front sight  had been replaced with 1/2 of a coin.   Rogers replaced the stock, links and lever tube which had been damaged.  They decided to keep the original barrel and rear sight.    From what I understand Roger restored both firearms to the original  Winchester letter and on some of the machinery he had purchased from Winchester.  Not 100 percent sure of the last statement.  I will follow up on the information you gave.  When I pick up the 1873 with a three digit serial no. I do understand the investment John made and why he did what he did.  Incredible piece of art and history.  I appreciate the information and will follow through.  I did find some documentation that the mentions  the 2 1/2 in Target on the letter was how Winchester later established the 1 of 1000 series.  

Gunslinger auctions, sold Winchester 1873 ser. Number 6, for $125,000. I  am owner/operator.  If theres anything I can do to help, let me know. Www.gunslingerauctions.com 

Www.gunslingerauctions@yahoo.com 

Hud

Archived