SASS Wire Forum

Sharpe Rocket Artillery

Subdeacon Joe

Congreve rockets I reckon.

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I learn something new every day. 

They must have been fearsome in their day (early 19th century), but not so much by the time of the American Civil War? I'm not familiar with them being used then. Had field and naval artillery surpassed them by that time?

Seems so.  Rockets were used by both sides on occasion, but artillery was much more accurate and effective.

2 minutes ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Wildly inaccurate.  Passed quickly into history and wasn't until WWII that effective rockets were fielded. 

True. But even so effective because they could break the spirt of troops under bombardment by them.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I learn something new every day. 

They must have been fearsome in their day (early 19th century), but not so much by the time of the American Civil War? I'm not familiar with them being used then. Had field and naval artillery surpassed them by that time?

The rocket tech was pretty crude. You just lit em and prayed they’d hit.

Artillery in the CW was mostly accurate direct fire using solid or grapeshot and devastating. 

Then in WWI, they developed the techniques for reasonably accurate indirect fire.

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

True. But even so effective because they could break the spirt of troops under bombardment by them.

Read about their use at the battle of New Orleans or in the Zulu wars.  Not even the Zulus respected them.

Archived