SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Load Question

Captain Bill Burt

I used to reload 12 gauge on a MEC, but it wasn't time efficient so I sold it.  Now that four of us are involved in SASS the reloading shotgun is looking more appealing.  I'll soon have a Dillon SL 900 and want to work up a new load.

In the past I used 7/8 oz of #8 over 14.5 grains of Clays with a Claybuster grey wad, Winchester 209s and Winchester AA featherlite hulls.   

I'm going to switch over to Remington STS hulls,  but stick with Clays and  7/8 oz of #8.  Is there any reason I should change wads or the powder charge?

While I'm asking does anyone have a good source for #8 shot?  My old source is out of business.

Should be good to go!   Might even find the STS load better too.   GW

Hey there Captain Bill Burt

I would also think you should be good to go with your current load. I load AA’s but if a Remington finds it way in to the mix I just load it. Never any problems. 

Just for a bit of fun I loaded up 14.5 of clays with 1 oz shot..I normally use 13.5 with 3 / 4 oz, let's just say I will stick with the lighter load..amazing the difference [ yeah I know I'm getting soft !! ]

Actually I first started loading  a light recipe for my wife & liked them myself...they work very well & feels like shooting a .22  !!

I find I need to change the starter crimp die about 1 to 2 turns changing from AA to STS on my 600 Jr. Other than that - you should be good to go.

Nah.  Skip all that 'spensive bench top blue stuff.  Just switch to All Brass 12Ga hulls, 45Gr 2f APP, an ounce of shot and be done wid it!!!  

Oh forgot.  you will also need some 10Ga wads with the petals cut for a one ounce pay load.  I shoot recycled shot too. 

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I used to reload 12 gauge on a MEC, but it wasn't time efficient so I sold it.  Now that four of us are involved in SASS the reloading shotgun is looking more appealing.  I'll soon have a Dillon SL 900 and want to work up a new load.

In the past I used 7/8 oz of #8 over 14.5 grains of Clays with a Claybuster grey wad, Winchester 209s and Winchester AA featherlite hulls.   

I'm going to switch over to Remington STS hulls,  but stick with Clays and  7/8 oz of #8.  Is there any reason I should change wads or the powder charge?

While I'm asking does anyone have a good source for #8 shot?  My old source is out of business.

You should be good to go, I'm using 14 gr. Red Dot, 7.5 shot, Claybuster wad and STS hulls. I used the the same powder bushing, a 3/4 oz charge bar and pink Claybuster wad and had a good result and a little lighter recoil.

Randy

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Just for a bit of fun I loaded up 14.5 of clays with 1 oz shot..I normally use 13.5 with 3 / 4 oz, let's just say I will stick with the lighter load..amazing the difference [ yeah I know I'm getting soft !! ]

Actually I first started loading  a light recipe for my wife & liked them myself...they work very well & feels like shooting a .22  !!

What wad do you use with that light load? Any problems, unburned powder?

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

What wad do you use with that light load? Any problems, unburned powder?

Howdy Cap'n..No unburnt powder, I'm using the 1oz Gulandi wad [ Italian & cheap ]in the earlier Winchester hulls with basically any 209 primer I can find....chrono between 950-1020fps, great to shoot & they do the job !!

IMHO  I rate them better than Featherlites.

I use Federal No. 1250 .75-1 oz wads for $4.84/bag from Mid South South Shooters Supply. 14gr Alliant Extra Lite. 1oz reclaimed shot. Fed Primers.

I have a really light SXS. This load knocks down all sized steel plates and patterns great on pop-ups, stars etc.  It's hard to reload and save $$$, but this one works for me 100%.

I posted this before, but this load burns so clean it's hard to tell if you shot the gun after a day on the range.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, Griff said:

Looks like a good idea, but......they don't tell you what load of shot it holds, they don't tell you what it costs, it's pretty hard to find out where to buy some.  None of the links took me to a website where I could actually place an order.  Do they really want to sell these?

It looks like a direct replacement for the Figure 8 except bio degradable which is good! Graf and sons reloading is listed, and I will try their website to see if they are listed for sale. The Figure 8 design was primarily for 1 1/8oz loads but did show compatible with 1 oz in some charts.

24 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Looks like a good idea, but......they don't tell you what load of shot it holds, they don't tell you what it costs, it's pretty hard to find out where to buy some.  None of the links took me to a website where I could actually place an order.  Do they really want to sell these?

I found the same issue. nothing resolves to a place to order or pricing.

Archived