SASS Wire Forum

The Georgia State Match is over

Fast Eddie sold out the Georgia State Match way ahead of schedule. I guess the word travels fast because I know a lot of folks didn't get in and there was a long waiting list.  I'm so sorry for you folks on the list!  Anyone who wasn't there missed the best cowboy match every - I mean ever - anywhere - ever.  Eddie and Blackhawk Henry are world class match directors. Either of them alone could put on a fine state shoot - but combine the two of them and they produce a "magic in a bottle" match.  I told Eddie this morning to quit daydreaming about putting on a match better than this one - it can't be done.  Maybe next year's can be nearly as good and that is plenty good enough to blow the mind of any shooter away who has never been to a Fast Eddie Georgia State Match. Thank you, Eddie, for thinking of everything.  Thank you, Blackhawk, for 10 incredible stages - inventive but not difficult.  It might be time to sign up for next year.  

I just came dragging in from the Ga. State match and I have nothing but praise for all the folks who put on this event.  1st class all the way.  Fast Eddie, Black Hawk Henry and all the rest of the folks who did all the work did a fine job.  Camping on the range is the way to go and they have over 50 campsites.  I loved the stages.  Fast, close and interesting.  Well, I shot most of them fast anyway.  Thanks for the great time.  I'll be back next year.

I had a great time!.  The stages were well written and laid out.  The blast the door open with the shotgun was one of the best stages ever!  I'll be back!

NNV

Fun, challenging, fun, stages well laid out, fun, posse 10 ran smoooothe, fun, ice cream social hit the spot, fun, banquet great, fun. Did I remember to say it was fun. Back next year

I agree that it went off REALLY well.  I've been to some really great, fun matches and I this was the best.

So well organized, so many things well thought out and provided for the shooters including great stages plus water, fresh fruit, Gatorade and many others.  The lunches were very good and the banquet was as good as any I've had.

The scores are posted:

2019 Georgia State Scores

8 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Sounds like it was a great match.  I'll have to put this on my shoot list! 

What's this blast the door down with the shotgun?  Sounds like fun.

Hells Comin 

I don't have a video but I'm sure someone will post one. there was a notch cut into each door where they came together with enough room for your barrels. A wire tie held them together, when you shot the tie the doors had counterweights and a pulley system that swung the doors open. First time I ever shot my way through a door and it was fun.

Randy

This was the best match I've ever attended.

I've shot 30 years of cas matches and a goodly many of other types as well and never seen such consistently entertaining and fair stage writing.

The match ran with incredible smoothness and the small touches were perfect. 

Thank You!

Joe

Fantastic match!!!  Quality and Top Notch all the way through!  We (son & I) are going to do our best to make this an annual for us!

Now I could blame my train wreck and the fact I was using a hammered double and the son (Mordecai McCool) wasn't as the reason he beat my time by 100 seconds.  But the real reason  is his youth (and the fact he's just that much better)!

Got to say what a well run match for the amount of people there and the hot weather. It was my first experience at a state level match and it was a blast can’t wait to try it again next year. Thank you fast Eddie and crew for all the hard work.

I agree with Joe West. Best match that Ophelia & I have ever attended.

Everything on schedule - 10

Creative & fun stages without being tricky - 10

Banquet - 10

Awards - 13 (on a 10 point scale)

Vendor area - 10

Camping area - 10

Refreshments while shooting - 10

Quality of stages & schedules booklet - 10

What'd I leave out? It was a 10 also! If somebody could have arranged for my lower bolt tab to not break, resulting in a 35 second stage followed by a 95 second stage (8 in the rifle when I finally gave up trying to clear it), that would have really been perfect!!!

It was a blast working on this match. I don’t know if I ever really expressed how hard Wabash Valley Slim worked.  He hustled from sun up to sundown for 2 straight days helping with the stage fronts, props, tables etc.  I’m not sure how I’d have gotten it done this year without his help.   

All but a few of the stages came from ideas that I “borrowed” from other folks.  I got “blast the doors” from Fire N Fallback.  The knockdown stage came from T-bone.  Other contributors /influences were Cowboy Junky, Jake Dunson, Pig Iron Lane and the cracker crew to name a few. My motto is “If ya want the best, steal from the best.”

Petey had an abysmal match & his worst finish EVER.  Just couldn't get the borrowed pistols to cooperate.  Still, we were happy to be there.  Stages good, fun & challenging.  Amenities second to none.  The only issue I have with this match:  Pleeeeeze let us shoot five stages per day  rather than 4-lunch break-2 on day one.  This put us shooting in the hottest part of the day, weighed down by food, momentum gone.  Nobody on the (fabulous!) posse 6 benefited from the break.  That said, this match is on our permanent agenda for the reasons EVERYBODY said.

One reason we shot 6 one day and 4 the next was that the weather forecast for the second day had an increased chance of rain.  So they hoped to avoid being in the rain as long.  We were blessed that it stayed dry, although a bit warm.  :D

Plus in the past, it has been a hassle for so many to finish 5 on the second day, get the scores done, prepare for the banquet, dress for the banquet and have fun. 

There are a few other factors as well, but I am not sure of them.

And some do benefit from a lunch break, especially in hot or cold weather - in fact some cannot last without a break for over 5 stages, especially.  So unfortunately  it is a no win either way.

18 hours ago, Blackhawk Henry said:

It was a blast working on this match. I don’t know if I ever really expressed how hard Wabash Valley Slim worked.  He hustled from sun up to sundown for 2 straight days helping with the stage fronts, props, tables etc.  I’m not sure how I’d have gotten it done this year without his help.   

All but a few of the stages came from ideas that I “borrowed” from other folks.  I got “blast the doors” from Fire N Fallback.  The knockdown stage came from T-bone.  Other contributors /influences were Cowboy Junky, Jake Dunson, Pig Iron Lane and the cracker crew to name a few. My motto is “If ya want the best, steal from the best.”

It was a great match. Every stage different but not too difficult. Entertainment at its best. We will be back. The first thing everyone involved with the match wanted to know was did you enjoy it. If there was something you did not like what was it?

We met a lot of Cowboys not met before and saw an equal number of old friends. Did I mention we will be back!

PS Many thanks to Fast Eddie and a GREAT crew.

Kid Rich and Shirttail Bess

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

unfortunately  it is a no win either way.

Well, ok then.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

get the scores done,

If you'll go to 5/5, I'll do day 2 scores.  In fact, I'll enter both days' scores.  Petey don't take me to the prom, anyway.

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Keep in mind, the top gun shoot off ended up being Saturday after the last stage.  Going to a 5-5 split will impact that. 

I give up.

Archived