SASS Wire Forum

And it's my cowboy clothes???

A few of my friends were at a restaurant after a match here in Alabama.  Someone approached them and asked what was up with their outfits.  One of them quickly put his thumb under his gallus suspender and pushed his badge forward, slowly stating, "we're Alabama Rangers".  The man nodded his head knowingly, and moved away from the table.  He was overheard a minute later to say my friends were members of the State Police.  

Lynn, Black Angus --- how does the sand work?

I understand blotting paper.

I write, and there's ink standing proud on the paper. I blot, and it soaks up all the excess that has not dried on the paper.

But sand? I know they had a shaker, like a salt shaker. They'd finish writing, then shake sand on the paper.

But I don't understand what the sand does.

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

Lynn, Black Angus --- how does the sand work?

I understand blotting paper.

I write, and there's ink standing proud on the paper. I blot, and it soaks up all the excess that has not dried on the paper.

But sand? I know they had a shaker, like a salt shaker. They'd finish writing, then shake sand on the paper.

But I don't understand what the sand does.

The cup of sand is used as part of the demonstration in discussing how quills are made.  Forgive me if my memory is a bit off on this.  It's been a long time since I made any quills - but, basically-  You heat up sand to place uncut feathers into in order to temper the quill.  Historically that was probably done by placing the tin of sand and quills on top of a wood burning stove for a time.  That makes the quill easier to cut properly and withstand the pressure of the quill to paper when writing.  Not absolutely necessary, but it helps.

We'd have uncut feathers in a tin cup for discussing the process of turning feathers into writing quills.  The problem is kids, and some adults, would see quills sticking out of the sand filled cup and think that was where they should put the quills after writing their name, or quote, or whatever.  Wet  ink and sand makes a mess out of a quill point.

The salt shaker type thing you're referring to would hold some type of powder (I don't know what) that was supposed to help the ink dry more quickly.  Less likely to smear the ink than a blotter.

Angus

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

The salt shaker type thing you're referring to would hold some type of powder (I don't know what) that was supposed to help the ink dry more quickly.  Less likely to smear the ink than a blotter.

Pounce

Pounce is a fine powder, most often made from powdered cuttlefish bone, that was used both to dry ink and to sprinkle on a rough writing surface to make it smooth enough for writing. This last was certainly needed if the paper came "unsized", that is, lacking the thin gelatinous material used to fill the surface of the paper and make it smooth enough for writing with a quill or a steel nib. It was also used to prepare the surface when drafting with Rapidiograph pens on mylar, a common drafting medium in the late twentieth century.

Although some people claim that pounce was never added afterwards to dry ink, this probably represents confusion between the two processes of preparing paper and drying the ink after writing. Experiment shows that using pounce does indeed smooth "unsized" paper but then does little or nothing to dry the ink, and it is clearly the case that pouncing or sanding continued long after properly "sized" writing paper came into general use during the nineteenth century.

The pounce or sand is gently sprinkled all over the writing on the paper. When using a quill or a steel nib, and with inks that are made up to match those typically in use during the 18th or 19th centuries, and provided the pen has been used with the fine strokes typical of handwriting of that period, the handwriting will be sufficiently dry within 10 seconds to allow the paper to be folded without blotting. Gently vibrating the paper whilst the pounce or sand is on it ensures that little or no pounce or sand sticks to the handwriting and excess sand or pounce is shaken off before folding the paper.

In the 19th century the pounce pots or sanders often had a shallow dish round the top so that pounce or sand could be returned to the pot and reused.

The process is very effective for quickly drying ink, and although blotting paper has been available since Tudor times, pounce or sand continued to be used throughout the nineteenth century because it was often cheaper.

I've sanded quills both ways:  I found it easier to cut a soaked quill, then dry it in the warmed sand after whittling its shape.

I tend to split and break dry quills, even with a shaving-sharp knife, but then dear old Dad said when I was born he gave me a glass hammer and said if I could not break an anvil with it he would throw me away and start over.

(By the way, this is the origin of the term "Pen Knife" -- a short, very sharp bladed blade, reserved exclusively for making pens.  I imagine a scribe would throw a stereoptical fit if someone absconded with his carefully honed blade for some common task, kind of like the hell that's rained down upon those souls who cut paper with a fabric scissors!)

I once had someone snicker at my cowboy clothes: buckaroo boots, Gus hat, banded collar shirt, canvas vest and Wranglers......they were wearing: cycling shoes, spandex shorts that showed your religion from 50 yards away, a spandex lime green jersey and a brain bucket, multi colored.  I truly am OK with who I am , remember "Cowboy" is a verb.  Nuff said.

I was in Sedona at a gas station.....

Well, how's about that?  I learnt something.  Actually I learnt two somethings.

1 - I learned about "Pounce".  (I thought that was what my kitty did to meeses)

2- I learned it may be easier to cut a quill point if it's soaked first.

Thanks to Sedalia Dave and Linn Keller.

Angus

Coming Back from WR in 2016 I was Mistaken for Sam Elliot at a Small Country Café  , the server and Owner wanted me to sign the bill as payment for my meal ...

After telling them I am better looking than Sam ,,, I paid my bill and left them a great tip ,,,,,,,,,,,, I was on my way ...

Kinda Made my Day ....

Jabez Cowboy

I live In Sparks Nevada.  I go to Virginia City every once in a while with some friends that were in a local film with me.  Folks just ask to have their picture taken with us.

E8B789FC-2FF5-4FEF-B954-C79F9A84E976.jpeg

On 5/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I once had someone snicker at my cowboy clothes: buckaroo boots, Gus hat, banded collar shirt, canvas vest and Wranglers......they were wearing: cycling shoes, spandex shorts that showed your religion from 50 yards away, a spandex lime green jersey and a brain bucket, multi colored.  I truly am OK with who I am , remember "Cowboy" is a verb.  Nuff said.

I was in Sedona at a gas station.....

Sedona. Say no more. :lol::D

After a match a group of us went by a local grill. It was a cooler match so we were wearing our finest. I was in my gambler outfit including my derby hat and brass headed cane. Another was in a fine black coat, hat, and black vest and tie. The others were also dressed very well. We looked grand, like we just came off a movie set. We were seated at a round table and we were all talking and joking about our "Shoot". I noticed that some folks at another table kept glancing at us then whispering to each other. Finally, as they were about to leave, they worked up the courage to come and speak to us. They asked if we were filming a movie as I could pass for Doc Holliday, and the one next to me could be Wyatt Earp. That really made my day. We told them about CAS and what we do. They said that sounded like a lot of fun but that was the last we ever saw of them.

I've been stopped many times while getting gas or walking into a store about my outfit. I'll have to come up with a list of excuses just to tease them a bit. I like the "I'm just in town for the hangin'" one. I'll use that.

Archived