SASS Wire Forum

The Best and Worst of CAS - The same thing

Buckaroo Bubba

Something moved me to post this tonight.

I was thinking of Judge'm All Duncan. As I said in the post about his death I didn't know him as well as some of you. I met him a few years ago and right away hit it off with him and since have stayed in touch and have been to a handful of matches together. Looking at Facebook tonight it really hit me on how much that man touched the numerous lives of others. Facebook has been a sea of photos and stories about "The Judge".

What I have been thinking about is this, The Best and Worst of Cowboy Action Shooting is the same thing. The People. This sport provides such a great avenue to meet some of the best people on this planet. But with that avenue of meeting so many folks and obtaining so many friends and "family", also comes the inevitable realization that some of those friends will leave us... sooner than we would like.

For me it's a blessing and a curse that I am one of the "young" ones in the sport (age 40). I have been involved in Cowboy Action for 14 years and met so many great friends over that time, some of them twice my age. On one hand I found this sport when I was young and have more time to enjoy it but on the other it gives me chills to think about what the next 20 years will look like. 

I guess why I am posting this is because days like this you realize how fragile life is. Enjoy it, tell all your friends in this sport how much you appreciate them and love them. You are not guaranteed tomorrow. 

Seeing that wave of posts on Facebook about Judge really makes you think about how you can influence others. I sure hope I could have a fraction of the influence on people that Judge did.

- Bubba

I have seen many friends depart this game, either by just hanging up their shootin' irons, or shaking off their mortal coil.  Over the many years I have been involved, there have been far too many... but, I am a richer man for having had the opportunity to know and associate with them, regardless of why they quit.  Some of those that have just (temporarily as far as I'm concerned), hung up their shooting irons, I'm still friends with.  And value that friendship all the more when we can get together.

I recently lost my partner and best friend in all aspects of life.. after marriage and dating for 49 years... Among those that came by to help celebrate her life were former shooting pards... workmates and family... Cards and notes from others that couldn't attend reminded me of how much we all affect the lives of others.  

1 hour ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

..realize how fragile life is. Enjoy it, tell all your friends in this sport how much you appreciate them and love them. You are not guaranteed tomorrow. 

Amen brother.

Bubba,

you have stated it well.

I don't know what will be said of me at my passing except my faith in Christ gave me comfort in my

passing.

But if I could write my own obituary,  it would be to show thanks, gratitude, love and kindness to

all those who help my life a good one, and less about me.    I often feel like I have received more graciousness from my

friends, ESPECIALLY my Cowboy friends, than I could ever be worthy of.

I think some of the life Judge Em All shared with us was some of that graciousness that help make our day

brighter.

..........Widder

One of the few benefits of getting older is the wisdom to enjoy each good moment. Cowboy shooting friends provide many of them.  Thanks for the post, Bubba. See you this weekend. 

Well said, and there are no promises that any of us will be here tomorrow.  Life is so fragile, let your loved ones know how you feel each and every day!

On 5/19/2019 at 4:04 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

except my faith in Christ gave me comfort in my

passing.

This right here Widder!

i think this sentiment is felt by all - old and young , not trying to diminish the heartfelt reflection you presented in any way , i have read with sadness all of the recent losses , i seldom post to them unless they move me these days but i do get sad at every one , i read the posts of those that knew them to try to get a sense of who they were and imagine i could have met them somewhere on the trail , 

we do have a special bond even if for fleeting moments at events we share , but i have to agree we build some interesting friendships that are not common in daily life , just camping next to some is a great experience - not like you get at any other camping venue - cleaning of guns , reloading , organizing the next days gear , sharing the days highs and lows as well as the humor of your shooting partners ... i wish i could meet more , not so young as bubba so ill miss more , he will have a richer experience and life for it , 

While driving out to a Shoot in B.C. this past week-end , I was reminded ,,,Again that life can end in the blink of an eye ....

It happened "Just" before I got there , 3 cars involved High Speed, Heavy Rain and Cloud ,,,,, One dead , Two Air-lifted out  and Four taken to Hospital by ground ...

Driving that stretch on the way home , the Wife was a Little Spooked and I drove 60 MPH instead of 75 ...

You can be doing everything right ,,,,, and still get Killed ...

I'm Ready ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but in No hurry to get there ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived