SASS Wire Forum

US Military Academy

Subdeacon Joe

West Point is about to graduate its largest class of black women in its 217-year history

black female cadets west point 2

A group of black female cadets at the United States Military Academy proudly posed for photos together ahead of their May 25 graduation, to mark being part of the largest class of black women to graduate from the 217-year-old institution.

Thirty-two black women are set to graduate from the school, more commonly known as West Point, in the class of 2019, the Philadelphia Tribune reported. The momentous occasion comes more than 155 years after the end of slavery, and nearly 99 years after women won the right to vote.

West Point was founded in 1802 but didn't admit its first black cadet until 1870. The first women were admitted in 1976.

Since 2014 though, the school has been making more of an effort to recruit more cadets from different backgrounds, by setting up an office of diversity, according to CNN.

black female cadets west point 1Several members of the group of black female cadets recently posed for a picture ahead of their graduation.  Cadet Hallie Pound

West Point spokesman Frank Demaro told CNN on Wednesday that he expects many more landmarks in the school's future when it comes to diversity.

I know nothing about these ladies save only that they are about to be graduated from the premier engineering college in the world.
That alone qualifies them for my most profound respect!

14 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I find this to be a good milestone, but I will be happiest when such “news” becomes not worth mentioning. 

Charlie VB Harley, West Point, ‘87

Or when activist stop using it to try and make a point.

West Point spokesman Frank Demaro told CNN on Wednesday that he expects many more landmarks in the school's future when it comes to diversity.

The blazes with diversity.:angry:

As long as they can and will do what's asked and needed of them, I don't CARE about skin color, background, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.

If they CAN'T or WON'T  do what's asked and needed of them, I don't CARE about skin color, background, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.

22 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I find this to be a good milestone, but I will be happiest when such “news” becomes not worth mentioning. 

Charlie VB Harley, West Point, ‘87

totally agree

Cheyenne Ranger,  Conroe Normal Bible Institue '68

Archived