SASS Wire Forum

Thank you to all who serve/served

Goody, SASS #26190

ill second that we need to appreciate all that served , they have been that thin line between our freedom and what the oppressed in this world have to live with , they allow all - even those that speak evil of our country to have the right to say what they think , they also give me the confidence to believe we can persevere in spite of what some seem to want for us , i want to offer all of you my most profound respect and thanks , 

as well as point out that memorial day is a week off when we remember those that not only served but gave the last measure , we have a long history - we need to preserve it and these are the folks that offer us that hope - every veteran , whether drafted [my era] or volunteered [also my era and today ] you deserve our thanks , and more ...

Thank you Goody... but in all honesty, I enjoyed almost every moment of my service...  It feels a little awkward to accept thanks for something I did voluntarily.  

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Thank you Goody... but in all honesty, I enjoyed almost every moment of my service...  It feels a little awkward to accept thanks for something I did voluntarily.  

Me too, Griff.

Although I was only in the Navy for 4 years, I speak of those memories often.   Of course, some of those

memories ain't so fond but they helped shape me for my future.

Thanks everyone for your Service.    

And thanks to others for minding the store front and paying taxes to help support us and your encouragement.

..........Widder   (US NAVY 69-73)  The Zumwalt years.   I was a radioman and I got to see ALL of the Z-grams before

the chiefs and officers.   

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Same here. I have only done three truly smart things in my life.

1. Join the military ( Navy )

2. Stay till I could retire at 20 years.

3 Marry my best friend in the whole universe.

Everything else pales in comparison to those three things.

Yo Goody thanks pilgrim.

11th Airborne Division 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment

Ft. Campbell, Kentucky  1954-1958

We had a Junior shooter join us with his dad in the early 2000s. He got very ill and it affected his memory. He quit shooting CAS, as remembering the scenarios was problematic. :( His dad still shot so the son would come out and shoot at the range, trap mostly. I was always so glad to see him, as he was such a good kid

Today, his dad posted, on FB, that his son just graduated from California State University, Fresno as a Second Lieutenant in the Army.

Bravo Matt! I know this was a really special achievement. :wub: 

Thanks again to all who have served, past and present.   Your time and sacrifice are appreciated. 

Amen thanks to all of you past and present, living, injured or gone that have protected the United States. For those of you with relatives who have served Fold3.com is free this weekend. I plan on looking up my relatives in the 1st Ohio Infantry & Calvary, Spanish American war, WW II, and my Dad from the Korean War. God bless all the military and their families. 

While I didn't really want to serve; because. my generation felt the Vietnam conflict wasn't in the country's best interest; I served because, it was my duty as an American to serve when called.  I thank God that I wasn't injured physically or psychologically by my 11 months on the ground in Vietnam.  Even my John Birch Society supporting grandfather advised me not to enroll in NROTC classes at UCB when I had been stating I wanted to do it.  My dad was a WWII motor machinist mate assigned to landing craft in the Pacific; so, I had an affinity for Naval service.  After the BSA I was a member of the Sea Cadets at Treasure Island.  I am so grateful for the acknowledgement of my fellow Americans for Veterans' service including merchant mariners during WWII.

Thank you for giving so much to this great county.  God Bless America!!!

Archived