SASS Wire Forum

OnStar

How does one get in touch with OnStar and find someone who can speak English and speak loudly enough that my tired old ears can hear them.  I called their help line (which isn't helpful at all) and after trying to hear the young lady, I explained that I could not hear her.  She went away leaving the line open, and after almost ten minutes of hearing something that I thought were voices in the background I hung up.

I went to my car and tried to talk to someone and decided there is no one out there that isn't a computer.

I want to know 1): if I have a plan, 2): if so how am I paying for it, 3): how do I use it, and 4) what changes can I make if I find it necessary.  The owners manual (which is actually a printed booklet) is about as useful as a barb wire jock strap.  It seems to be generic to all Chevy vehicles made in 2018.

It can be really difficult to use in that some of the operators are difficult to understand.  It has happened once or twice to me, but I use the virtual operator and it works OK. If the computer doesn't recognize the address/location I'm looking for I'll ask for a representative.  As above, the dealer or installer can show you how to use it. 

Our dealer did all of the groundwork.  Luckily, we needed it the next day and it worked perfectly, unlocking the doors to rescue the dog!!  They are paid by automatic draft, monthly, by my bank.

Ditto on the unlocking service.  Once as I was checking out at Walmart during my lunch break I heard the cashier on the phone with a locksmith who said it would be 45 minutes before he got there.  As I went to my car I couldn't find the keys and realized they were locked inside sitting on the middle console.  I was about to go ask the cashier who was coming to help her and then thought of onstar. I didn't have 45 minutes to be away from work.  I had their number and called it and 30 seconds later I was driving back to work.   

I have the basic emergency package.  I think we have used it twice, but you can get a full package that includes GPS and other features that I don’t see the need to pay for.

I can read a map and I’ll call and get directions if I need ‘em!

The roadside assistance and accident response stuff is reassuring when I am out on the road.

We don't have OnStar, but as far as the owner's manuals of virtually ANY car is concerned, especially Ford Motor Company (including Lincoln's) are concerned, they are about as useful as,,,um... certain accoutrements on a boar hog!  Whoever writes these things probably never has had to use them!  There is NO trouble-shooting section, and the gobbled-gook is difficult to understand...even for a retired rocket engineer!  A feature of a new vehicle we just purchased (to replace our 13-year-old one, has a feature of locking the doors that is NOT intuitively obvious.  Press the silver button on the key fob, but DO NOT check the door to see if it is locked...UNLESS you have the key fob more than 3 feet away from the car!  When you get within 3 feet, the doors unlock by themselves without pushing any buttons!  Couldn't find anything about that in the owner's manual.  Had to call the dealer.  He said they get calls like that all the time! :wacko:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have the basic emergency package.  I think we have used it twice, but you can get a full package that includes GPS and other features that I don’t see the need to pay for.

The roadside assistance and accident response stuff is reassuring when I am out on the road.

That and AAA have served me well in the past.  Hope I never need them again.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Last year I made a road trip from Tucson Az. to Columbus Oh. When I told the guys at work I had bought a new Atlas, they looked at me like I'm crazy, (they all think that anyway).

As for road side assistance, I have that as part of my Car Insurance, and I can still call them on my flip phone.

As for unlocking the doors..... 

012.thumb.JPG.c37eb2d69f61bbe72bb8092077540773.JPG

I don't worry about it because I usually don't HAVE doors

Archived