SASS Wire Forum

Need best way to trim brass 10 ga shells to length

Trooper Ozzy

My 1887 has been safety checked out by Lassiter and is ready to go. I just need to feed it. 

The action works without jamming on a 2 1/2" length brass shell. I have 25 2 5/8" length new brass from Track of the Wolf. (7.25 each ouch!)  No band saw, hack saw too coarse. I do have a simple Dremel.  Do I need to make a trip to Harbor Freight? Any tips or tricks. 

Larry Potterfield can show you how he does it.

A fine cut hacksaw blade should be easy to find in a hardware store. 

Maybe find a length of pipe the right diameter to use as a length and square guide? 

I've never had to trim any brass hulls. 

If you go to HF,  look at this mini cut off saw.  May have to experiment with blade.  I'd say the finest cut would work best.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

P.S.  Don't forget your coupons!   Memorial day they have a 25% off coupon! 

What about a tubing cutter? Leaves a nice clean cut. All you might need is to ream the inner edge. 

I got 12g brass from midway which is longer than the stack of components I put in it but with a SXS I don’t need to worry about the extra. 

I use a lathe myself, but most folks don't have access to one. A Dremel with cutoff wheels will work fine, just time-consuming, but you're only doing it once per shell, so... The little cutoff saw above looks like the ticket, but if you have no other use for it, it's just taking up space on a shelf when you're done. A tubing cutter will crush the thin wall "A" brass.

$7.25 ea sounds like a lot, but if they're used in the same chambers, they don't need to be resized every time, and will last a LONG time if nobody steps on them. An old Winchester ad claimed "up to 500 reloads" or somesuch.

Well looks like a success. That little chop saw did the trick. A little 400 sandpaper smoothed the ends. Primed with an antique primer tool, just under a 100 gr ffg, wads, 1 3/8 oz 7.5's, hot glue gun the overshot wad. I'll try it from the 16 yard line tomorrow. IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.480e1a771dc7e7ae28e177d0f81866cc.JPG

IMG_20190518_184937.jpg

On 5/18/2019 at 9:32 AM, Trooper Ozzy said:

My 1887 has been safety checked out by Lassiter and is ready to go. I just need to feed it. 

The action works without jamming on a 2 1/2" length brass shell. I have 25 2 5/8" length new brass from Track of the Wolf. (7.25 each ouch!)  No band saw, hack saw too coarse. I do have a simple Dremel.  Do I need to make a trip to Harbor Freight? Any tips or tricks. 

I'll ask a stupid question, have you tried the 2 5/8" hulls to see if they chamber?   If wikipedia* is correct, 2 7/8" is the standard length for the 10 gauge 1887 Winchester shotgun.

2 7/8" matches what I have read for other makes of 10 gauge for that time period.

Yes.

FYI measure your 12 ga shell when crimped. 2 3/8" probably, then expands to 2 3/4" after firing. Standard is measuring open empty hull.  Bought the 2 5/8" thinking along those lines, no go when running through action inserting into chamber.  Happily 2 1/2 cycles smoothly. 

Glad I'm 6'2" and used to 3 dram handicap loads.  This is a 4 dram load. 

Video not as good as Warden Callaway...but ok for a smart phone I think. 

Nothing major, but it makes a nice ring sound.  I'm going to be more concerned with boots during brass pickup.

It runs 2 at a time now no problem. 

The minor dings are rolled smooth with an A-Zoom 12 gauge snap cap that inserts perfectly. 

The same snap cap I use to ram/compress the wads over the powder.  

Image result for azoom 12 gauge

Archived