SASS Wire Forum

1st station on a Dillon Square Deal

I've started to remove the spent primers with a hand de-primer then tumbling the brass.

On my Dillon Square Deal, should I remove the pin that pokes out the primers on the 1st station or is there any benefit to leaving it in?

I don't think it would hurt anything to leave it in. If there is any media from tumbling left in the flash hole it would clear that for you.

28 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I don't think it would hurt anything to leave it in. If there is any media from tumbling left in the flash hole it would clear that for you.

Howdy pard. Good point, I hadn't thought of that. 

I'd leave it in.  As said it won't hurt and just in case you missed a primer it'll pop it out.  I wet tumble and have had small pins get caught in the primer pocket.

If you are going to prime on the press...shouldn’t make a difference. I decap on a single stage press and hand prime...so I take the decamping pin out of the die.

As stated by Hillbilly Drifter it will clear the flash hole if you're dry tumbling.  I punch my primers out of the black powder brass before tumbling and the pin clears out any media stuck in the flash hole.  Leave it in.

21 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

I've started to remove the spent primers with a hand de-primer then tumbling the brass.

On my Dillon Square Deal, should I remove the pin that pokes out the primers on the 1st station or is there any benefit to leaving it in?

Hi Chili

I'm just curious as to the advantage you see in depriming by hand  ?

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hi Chili

I can't speak for Chilli Pepper, but my assumption is that he likes to have the primer pocket exposed to the timbling media to allow it a chance to get cleaned. I have done it both ways. Deprimed and tumbled or tumbled and deprimed. I have started depriming and tumbling every fourth reload now. I am also using an rcbs case prep station to use a carbon scraper on the primer pockets at that point to just help clean them out. I actually think that the scrapper gets the pocket cleaner than tumbling does. On top of it all, I am reloading for 4, so the time savings of not depriming first everytime keeps me mildly sane. 

4 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hi Chili

Actually the reason I've started de-priming is last year the 1st station (12 yr old Dillon Square Deal)stopped poking out the old primer reliably. Out of a 100 primers 3-5 would not be removed. This would disrupt the flow of loading. I called Dillon and they said to replace the pin and they sent me a couple. They told me it had most likely mushroomed slightly and was poking the primer out then pulling it back in. It didn't work so I called Dillon and they said to take a file and file off the pin to make it like a truncated cone. This still didn't work and was getting worse 10-12 per 100. I called Dillon back and they blamed the way primers are made now.

So I did a search for hand de-primers and found high marks for the Harvey De-primer https://harveydeprimer.com. I got one and have found I like de-priming first because the primer pocket is getting cleaned so the new primer seats easier. I can de-prime a monthly match worth of brass (120) in 15 minutes. 

Out of curiosity - have you checked to see if your sizing/de-priming die may have backed out a little bit?  Also, you might check to see if the shell plate is set tight enough. Your sizing die should come right to the top pf the shell plate at position one at full stroke. There should be no up and down slop in the shell plate. 

Good luck and let us know what cures you problem

taking a trip down the rabbit hole . . . 

I remove my tool head and dies, replace with head that only has depriming pin (4 bolts out and in)

3 bolt out to remove primer assembly

now I can run my 5 minute dry tumbled brass through the machine to deprime.  Don't have to remove the brass as they travel around the shell plate and drop in the bin.  I figure it cuts my work in half not having to remove the brass

when done reverse the tool head and primer processes --takes less than 5 minutes to do this either coming or going

electric drill with all wrench bit also is a big help

Archived