SASS Wire Forum

RCBS 38/357 COWBOY DIES ARE CUTTING LRN

Shifty Bob

Yes, the seater stem simply has the wrong shape to it.  Either buy one made for RN, or modify the one you have.  JB Weld works great.

At our distance to targets, you really shouldn't worry about it. 

some folks use hot glue to make a new shape in the seater. 

put a 'perfect' cartridge in the seating station.  Smear the bullet with some grease, oil, plastic wrap--something to keep the hot glue from sticking.

put a dab of hot glue in the seater stem where it meets the bullet

allow to bullet to come up to the hot glue and sit--usually the pressure of the handle is enough

after a couple of minutes you should have a mirrror image of the bullet on the stem and a bit of trimming, if needed, is all that you need to do from there.

with hot glue you can always go back and it only takes a couple of minutes to do.

I live with the ring on mine

see next post for another way to go

I have also chucked the stem in a drill press and used finer and finer grades of garent/wet & dry paper to flare out the edges of the stem.  I usually do this in multiple steps ass in sand and try, etc.

I understand some use a dremel tool while the drill press is running but I don't have any first-hand experience with that method

good luck

thanks. wasn't sure if I was missing something. RCBS says they can make a stem to fit. I sent them 3 bullets and will see what they return. I will post my results.

and yes close range this isn't an issue. I would just like the bullets to be seated without the cuts. I do reload rifles for distance and this goes against the grain.

thanks for the feedback

ARE you using a true Round Nose bullet, or the Round nose Flat Point bullet in common use?  I noted the same problem with the RNFP ; took to using the semiwadcutter  seating stem . Worked fine.  Would not help with true round nose bullets, obviously.

Shifty- try the flat semi-wadcutter/wadcutter seating stem. Worked fine for me with the RNFP bullet I used in my .38 lever actions. the only contact is the flat face of the seater to the flat point ( hah!) of the bullet nose.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:47 AM, Conestoga Smith, SASS #18219 said:

Shifty- try the flat semi-wadcutter/wadcutter seating stem. Worked fine for me with the RNFP bullet I used in my .38 lever actions. the only contact is the flat face of the seater to the flat point ( hah!) of the bullet nose.

Is that a special order or is it available on line somewhere?

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Call RCBS and ask'em.........

OLG

Definitely!  The standard and carbide dies sets all come with the two seating stems, one for round nose, and one for flat nose such as semiwadcutter , wadcutter, and RNFP.  Should be the same thread for all their current production dies.

Only because I bought these RCBS Cowboy dies am I doing this. I should have bought Dillon like my other calibers. Dillon are really the best for handgun calibers in my opinion.

I like the 357 cases better than 38 because the bullet is seated deeper on the 357. Makes for a cleaner crimp and just seems to work better for me getting the right OAL for the 1873. Again just my personal choice.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should seat and crimp in 2 separate operations.

Both calibers, you should seat to the crimp groove, if you have one.

OLG

I agree. Only the RCBS die set has only 3 dies. Size/Decap, Expand, Seat/Crimp.

I ordered some more Dillon dies.

As Walks Fletcher said, if you will call RCBS you will have one in no time at no cost 

Archived