SASS Wire Forum

Advice on Weak 1873 ejector?

I'm trying to go fast and I'm hitting the ejected brass with the bolt as I close the lever.  Not every time, but frequently.  Maybe it's operator error, and I'm not opening the action completely.  Or is it possible something in the bolt is not functioning right?  This has just started recently and I don't think I'm doing anything differently.

Any thoughts?

I would say your carrier lifter arm spring is not holding the carrier up long enough. The ejector is the carrier and the carrier has to stay up long enough for the bolt to come back in the carrier before it drops or the bolt will hit the front face of the carrier. It cannot hit the brass because the empty brass is riding on top of the carrier and being thrown up in the air by it. If the carrier drops as soon as you start to close the lever this is the problem. It has to stay up until the bolt is going forward inside the carrier.

If the empty is getting caught by the carrier before it is completely open then that is another problem usually the shape of the carrier top or the timing.

The ejector on a 73 (or other toggle link gun) is the CARRIER top surface.   Your EJECTOR is not weak.   But ejection probably is faulty.

Many times this is caused by one specific replacement carrier that is machined a little differently than most replacements..  The carrier has to have enough clearance where the rear-most top surface of the carrier comes into contact with the bottom of the rim of the fired cartridge, pinching it into place as the bolt face retracts into the frame, so the brass does not eject.  (We discussed this three months ago right here on the forum, and I'll try to find the reference thread or two that talked about a problem like this....)  Found one of them.  See if you might have a carrier like CG did...

Other times, and probably more common if you have not replaced any parts lately, is that the action has gotten out of time and the carrier is not coming up fast enough to kick the brass up and off the extractor.    Could have been due to an Out of Battery firing that has bent the lever or carrier lifter arm.  Could be due to wear.  If you know how timing has to work in a 73, take a look at the timing when you are running it quickly.   The timing has less window to be right the faster you are running the action!  Could be due to you trying to run the gun faster!  So, even though you say you are not doing anything differently, your first statement says you are trying to go faster than you have in the past.  !!  That is a BIG difference with a 73.

Both possible problems are a little hard to diagnose if you have not seen it yourself before, made more difficult because the problem occurs only at speed.. 

So, probably a stop in at your rifle gunsmith would be the fastest way to find out what is wrong.

Good luck, GJ

Kit, I've had the same issue pop up on my main rifle, thought it was me. But not having this issue with my back up.

GJ, 

Any pics of the top of the  carrier with the correct rear profile by chance? 

12 hours ago, Brazos Bo said:

Any pics of the top of the  carrier with the correct rear profile by chance?  

Sure.  See that post shown above! Has some pics of carriers that work well.

If an extractor is loose it will prematurely release and cause this problem.  Look at your extractors condition before making a determination that it is not the problem.  While stabilizing the bolt move the extractor up and down with light pressure, if it moves, clean under it by removing and scraping the buildup out.  If after cleaning it still moves replace the extractor. 

If after cleaning it still moves replace the extractor.

The amount of force you should need to pull the tip of the extractor up far enough to release the rim would be about where the extractor tip starts to become uncomfortable (slightly painful) to pull with a bare finger tip.  If it comes up easier than that, it's probably weak and worn, so replace it.

Good luck, GJ

I appreciate everyone's help.

It was gunk under the extractor.  I removed the extractor, cleaned under it and put it back.  Problem gone.

Thank you Lefty Wheeler!

Kit

Archived