SASS Wire Forum

Deadwood fans

J-BAR #18287

The June issue of True West magazine features lots of stuff on the actual history of Deadwood as well as the HBO series and upcoming movie.  Fun reading! :)

21A6AE8F-EB74-4857-B448-CD2FE4AB6EA4.thumb.jpeg.11b8892d309bfbb2b488fdfd287877d1.jpeg

5 hours ago, Flatwater Monte said:

My only beef with the show was the use of foul language. Call me a luddite, but you don't have to drop an f bomb or g-d every thirty seconds to show the "grittiness" of the era. 

I agree it was surprising, and probably not necessary.  Like many real life work situations, I just became numb to it and ignored it.  The plot and characters made the series interesting enough to watch.  My missus made it through all three seasons,  generally enjoyed watching, and she is a Sunday School teacher.  I guess a career as a public school teacher helped!  ;)

Can’t wait till the video comes out. I’m going to try to take a shot of whiskey every time Swearengen does. :P

UB, does that include chugging from the bottle the same amount that he does?

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I agree it was surprising, and probably not necessary.  Like many real life work situations, I just became numb to it and ignored it.  The plot and characters made the series interesting enough to watch.  My missus made it through all three seasons,  generally enjoyed watching, and she is a Sunday School teacher.  I guess a career as a public school teacher helped!  ;)

I made it through the series but it is not one I would ever ask my wife to watch with me. Just unbecoming of a gentleman to do that. Sadly, my 13 and 10 year old boys love cowboy shooting and love the shows and movies that inspire it, they won't be watching Deadwood on my watch. We need more Gunsmoke and The Rifleman and less Deadwood and Hell on Wheels (which is my favorite modern western series). 

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Can’t wait till the video comes out. I’m going to try to take a shot of whiskey every time Swearengen does. :P

Better yet take a shot every time he says "C#$K S*@KER". :o  

11 minutes ago, Dust'N Bottles said:

I'd have to watch it in about 10 minute increments....I can't drink that much at once!:lol:

30 minutes ago, Dust'N Bottles said:

I'd need more likker. :D

I'm not a gentleman and neither is my wife... err "Scarlet Letter" prudes. However, we thought it unnecessary to the story for the gratuitous use of foul language. We chalked it up to the time the series was made, which was during the "Sopranos" era.

We were able to set that aside and enjoy a wonderful Shakespearian/Victorian melodrama.

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I'm not a gentleman and neither is my wife... err "Scarlet Letter" prudes. However, we thought it unnecessary to the story for the gratuitous use of foul language. We chalked it up to the time the series was made, which was during the "Sopranos" era.

We were able to set that aside and enjoy a wonderful Shakespearian/Victorian melodrama.

The producers have explained that they really wanted to emphasize how crude and uncivilized the mining camps of the era were. The writers tried using period correct 19th century profanity but they realized that hardly anybody would understand it. I don’t think it was gratuitous but I must admit it startled me for the first few episodes. But the characters and story trumped the cussin for me. It will be interesting to see if the movie is the same, given the time gap and societal shifts since the series ended.

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I was hooked the minutes Colter Wall soundtrack started. That's good enough for me.

I agree,. Colter Wall is the real deal.

1 hour ago, Dust'N Bottles said:

I agree,. Colter Wall is the real deal.

Yeah, certain "undiscovered" artists stir my spirit. Especially those with unique voices. Presently, I'm in a Colter Wall and Tyler Childers phase. 

3 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I was hooked the minutes Colter Wall soundtrack started. That's good enough for me.

Deadwood always had a great song at the close of each episode!

Cant wait !

Have been waiting for a end for years .

Mr. Wu  ( @&#k Sucka )  Is Back Too !

100% will see and own it 

Just sayin .

Rooster 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Yeah, certain "undiscovered" artists stir my spirit. Especially those with unique voices. Presently, I'm in a Colter Wall and Tyler Childers phase. 

You might give Paul Cauthen a listen, The album "My Gospel" is quite good.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I bet they have new pigs.

The former pigs were served as bacon, by Jewel,  as breakfast for Al, Dan and Johnny.

1 hour ago, Dust'N Bottles said:

You might give Paul Cauthen a listen, The album "My Gospel" is quite good.

Thanks. Will do.

Right before Colter and Tyler, I was in a Cody Jinks and Sturgill Simpson phase.

Schoolmarm just bought a month of HBO so she could watch the movie!!

On 5/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Thanks. Will do.

Right before Colter and Tyler, I was in a Cody Jinks and Sturgill Simpson phase.

I kind of figured you had already been there so I didn't even mention them.  

How many seasons of Deadwood were there?

Archived