SASS Wire Forum

Pumpkins??

Alpo

I know that there are people that compete to see how big they can grow their pumpkin.

When these things get huge - 100 lbs or more - are they still edible?

It depends on how you define "edible".  Miz E plants a whole plethora of punkins.  All shapes and sizes.  Some are smooth and some are knobby. Some are big, some are little.  Some are good for carving jack-o-lanterns.   I've learnt more about punkins than I care to admit.  The punkins that are used for canned pie punkins are a special breed to maintain size and consistency.  When I used to make punkin pie from scratch (no, don't ask me where I scratch) I liked the little ones as one little punkin steamed for half an hour was just the right size for a punkin pie.  Turns out right tasty.  Punkins are in the squash family or is it the other way around?  I hate squash.  The best way to cook squash is to cut it, peel it, cube it, put it on a backing rack with some butter, salt and pepper and when it is about half done, sprinkle some brown sugar on it.  Then throw it away.  Miz E loves it.

Yellow crook-neck squash. Get a little one - littler the better. Raw. Cut it up. Scape all that nasty seeds crap out and toss it. You just want the rind/fruit/gourd/whatever-the-hell-it's-called. Cut that up into chunks about the size of an English pea. Sprinkle them chunks into a mixed salad, and douse with a good vinegaret.

That ain't too bad.

Cooked squash? That's what took over the job of "kid punishment", when it was decided that spanking was child abuse.

Don't spank 'em. Feed 'em squash. If that don't stop their anti-social behavior, feed 'em boiled okra.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Yellow crook-neck squash. Get a little one - littler the better. Raw. Cut it up. Scape all that nasty seeds crap out and toss it. You just want the rind/fruit/gourd/whatever-the-hell-it's-called. Cut that up into chunks about the size of an English pea. Sprinkle them chunks into a mixed salad, and douse with a good vinegaret.

That ain't too bad.

Cooked squash? That's what took over the job of "kid punishment", when it was decided that spanking was child abuse.

Don't spank 'em. Feed 'em squash. If that don't stop their anti-social behavior, feed 'em boiled okra.

Cooked squash is right up there with liver, rutabagas and turnips.  All should be considered inhumane punishment.

I feed my dog a tablespoon of pumpkin 2 times a day with his food. never had a problem with his anal glands and keeps him from getting constipated.

I used to take my other dogs to the vet for their anal glands and it was about $30  each time. Never had to do that since I started giving him pumpkin.

Also after supper he gets a salad, lettuce and cucumbers. He loves it and its cheaper than dog treats.

5 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

The best way to cook squash is to cut it, peel it, cube it, put it on a backing rack with some butter, salt and pepper and when it is about half done, sprinkle some brown sugar on it.  Then throw it away.  Miz E loves it.

squash is in same 'family' as kale, rutabaga and chard . . . the endible family

Young yellow crookneck squash sliced thin,dredged in flour and cornmeal ,fried to crisp on the edges.accompanied by red beans, cornbread and iced tea.Pure Okie heaven!

Hard squash,  baked,  a little bit of butter,  salt,  and pepper.  

Or, for dessert,  butter,  cinnamon,  and either brown sugar,  maple syrup, or molasses. 

It also makes a decent posole. 

Archived