SASS Wire Forum

A Tesla Pickup

Yul Lose

What I do like about the idea of electric pickups.

1) Fuel savings

2) More powerful

3) More cargo space

4) Simplicity, way less moving parts, less maintenance.

5) Auto pilot

The bad.

1) Range being affected by heavy loads and cold weather.

2) No place to charge on long trips.

3) expensive electronics to go wrong

4) Rivian is a new small company which could go bankrupt and leave you without support and parts.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

1) Fuel savings

2) More powerful

3) More cargo space

5) Auto pilot

The bad.

4) Rivian is a new small company which could go bankrupt and leave you without support and parts.

nail on the head!

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

1) Fuel savings

2) More powerful

3) More cargo space

5) Auto pilot

The bad.

Wrong on a couple of counts. There are more and more charging stations being built everyday nationwide. All vehicles have expensive electronics that can go wrong, just ask my wife whose Subaru Forester is on its third navigation cluster in two years. Rivian isn’t Tesla.

25 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Wrong on a couple of counts. There are more and more charging stations being built everyday nationwide. All vehicles have expensive electronics that can go wrong, just ask my wife whose Subaru Forester is on its third navigation cluster in two years. Rivian isn’t Tesla.

Third? Wow. Not good. So far Mrs. Doc and my youngest have had very good luck with theirs. I will agree with you on the expensive electronics, though. For me, the downside of limited range is that you aren't likely to find a charging station in the middle of nowhere, far away from any town while on a camping excursion. You can pack in extra gas in the vehicle. Extra electricity may be a bit of a challenge. Out of curiosity, how long does it take to get a full charge on a battery if you're on a long trip? Fueling up at the pump usually takes five minutes, tops.

7 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Third? Wow. Not good. So far Mrs. Doc and my youngest have had very good luck with theirs. I will agree with you on the expensive electronics, though. For me, the downside of limited range is that you aren't likely to find a charging station in the middle of nowhere, far away from any town while on a camping excursion. You can pack in extra gas in the vehicle. Extra electricity may be a bit of a challenge. Out of curiosity, how long does it take to get a full charge on a battery if you're on a long trip? Fueling up at the pump usually takes five minutes, tops.

A friend of mine has the X model and on a high capacity charger it takes about 45 minutes. Most of the commercial charge stations are the high capacity. Tesla used to foot the bill but not anymore, it’s pay per charge. When my wife and I went to Arizona and back last month  we drove over on I10 and at the Carl’s Junior restaurant on the west side of town there is a charging station where a dozen or so Tesla’s were plugged in both times we drove past. A lot of Tesla owners have found out the hard way that driving through the desert with your AC on on a hot day shortens your range considerably.

19 minutes ago, DocWard said:

She likes Subaru’s but this Forester has had issues with the stereo and navigation since day one.

28 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

She likes Subaru’s but this Forester has had issues with the stereo and navigation since day one.

Mrs. Doc is on her third Subie, my youngest on her first. My next vehicle may very well be a Subaru. I like the thought of a slightly older Forester, manual trans, a little bit of lift and all terrain tires for the type of camping I do these days. No hard off-road stuff, but certainly off the beaten path enough to need more than a normal car. Or a WRX like Mrs. Doc has, or a BRZ...

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

1) For Tesla vehicles to my understanding. I would wager that Tesla would not welcome another brand charging on their stations?

2) Does your Forester drive and park itself? The electronics in the Forester will be a bargain in the future. IMO.

3) Correct. But the Rivian is real and not a concept drawing. And looking at Tesla’s track record of not meeting deadlines? I would wager a guess it could be a decade before anyone gets behind the wheel of a Tesla pickup. Or never if Tesla doesn’t turn it around.

Rivian on the other hand has Ford and Amazon investing 1.2 billion already and will be out next year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/photos-rivians-all-electric-pickup-and-suv-coming-in-2020.html

48 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

1) For Tesla vehicles to my understanding. I would wager that Tesla would not welcome another brand charging on their stations?

2) Does your Forester drive and park itself? The electronics in the Forester will be a bargain in the future. IMO.

3) Correct. But the Rivian is real and not a concept drawing. And looking at Tesla’s track record of not meeting deadlines? I would wager a guess it could be a decade before anyone gets behind the wheel of a Tesla pickup. Or never if Tesla doesn’t turn it around.

Rivian on the other hand has Ford and Amazon investing 1.2 billion already and will be out next year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/photos-rivians-all-electric-pickup-and-suv-coming-in-2020.html

Many charging stations allow, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt and other plug in electric vehicles including Tesla. Volvo says that by 2022 their entire line of cars will be all electric, we’ll see. More charging stations are being built all of the time. I’m not a electric vehicle proponent but have done research on them and have friends that own them and they are quite happy with them except for the guy whose battery died 7/10ths a mile from the charging station and the tow truck took two hours to arrive. He still has his and learned a lesson. There are quite a few vehicles that park themselves now, not just Tesla and I’ll bet the electronics for them isn’t cheap either if it has to be replaced. I can tell you this Tesla’s navigation cluster is 1,000 times better than the Subaru Foresters. If people want to drive electric cars let them, it’s not for me and I won’t criticize the ones that do. They’ve got their shortcomings and most owners are aware of them or find out pretty quick what they are.

19 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I will take that bet. It’s 750 hp with four motors at each hub. Electrical motors have full torque within one revolution of the shaft.

Thats never been the problem. The problem is making batteries small enough and last long enough to feed it. They claim 400 + miles of range. Which I find dubious if your pulling a heavy load or driving in cold weather.

Trains use diesel generators to produce power for electric motors that pull massive loads for example.

Oh, I'm well aware of the torque capabilities of DC motors.  But given the size limitations of a DC motor at all 4 wheels, 750 hp  ain't gonna happen, not even close, with today's technology.  High torque DC motors generally achieve that torque at very low rpm's.  Doubtful that the low rpm's necessary to develop that kind of torque would be suitable for consumer transportation.  Mr. Musk is famous for his exaggerated projections.  He also claims that his truck will have a 300,000 lb. towing capacity.  By time someone can produce an electric pickup truck with the torque and towing capacity of my old 2001 Duramax, I'll be dead and gone.  That will come right behind the solar powered 747.  I'll stick with "Ol' Rattler" and keep filling her up with diesel.

3 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Nice high ceiling for clearance of manbuns

Imis

That's hilarious!  Still can't wear a cowboy hat in it, Imis.

13 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Oh, I'm well aware of the torque capabilities of DC motors.  But given the size limitations of a DC motor at all 4 wheels, 750 hp  ain't gonna happen, not even close, with today's technology.  High torque DC motors generally achieve that torque at very low rpm's.  Doubtful that the low rpm's necessary to develop that kind of torque would be suitable for consumer transportation.  Mr. Musk is famous for his exaggerated projections.  He also claims that his truck will have a 300,000 lb. towing capacity.  By time someone can produce an electric pickup truck with the torque and towing capacity of my old 2001 Duramax, I'll be dead and gone.  That will come right behind the solar powered 747.  I'll stick with "Ol' Rattler" and keep filling her up with diesel.

I own 2 379 Pete’s, a Freighliner straight truck, a D4 dozer, a Kobelco excavator, a kubota tractor, a dodge Cummins and Chevy duramax and a Roxor.

I know all about diesel bills. And I’m not overjoyed with them either. Especially when I’m not working in the oil field.

I think your wrong about the technology. And it ain’t just Musk claiming it. It’s coming and quick.

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Many charging stations allow, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt and other plug in electric vehicles including Tesla. Volvo says that by 2022 their entire line of cars will be all electric, we’ll see. More charging stations are being built all of the time. I’m not a electric vehicle proponent but have done research on them and have friends that own them and they are quite happy with them except for the guy whose battery died 7/10ths a mile from the charging station and the tow truck took two hours to arrive. He still has his and learned a lesson. There are quite a few vehicles that park themselves now, not just Tesla and I’ll bet the electronics for them isn’t cheap either if it has to be replaced. I can tell you this Tesla’s navigation cluster is 1,000 times better than the Subaru Foresters. If people want to drive electric cars let them, it’s not for me and I won’t criticize the ones that do. They’ve got their shortcomings and most owners are aware of them or find out pretty quick what they are.

So the plug ins for all of these cars are standardized? Or proprietary? Do you carry different plug in styles in the trunk?

I worked in the oil field for 7 years. But I’m still not happy with a fuel bill. If I can save money? I will. So long as what I buy can still do the job that diesel did before. Which I think is quickly catching up.

I'm more than open to the changes, Wapaloosie.  Give me a machine that can produce the same amount or more work with less moving parts at a price that is reasonable, and I'm all in.  Respectfully, I just don't see it happening any time soon.  If I'm wrong, the beer tab is on me.

15 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

A couple of more companies coming online producing 4x4 style rigs.

https://bollingermotors.com/

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

7E0A5AF6-3BD8-42A2-A7B7-F7B190B1BE28.jpeg

F277D361-02CA-4A02-A605-1B7F9C6DD4FA.jpeg

I like that bottom one. Sort of a first generation Ford Bronco or old Land Rover vibe going for it!

18 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

F277D361-02CA-4A02-A605-1B7F9C6DD4FA.jpeg

Now this is getting closer to my style, Wapaloosie.  Looks like a cross between a Jeep J-series pickup and a Range Rover, will a little International Scout thrown in for good measure.  Head room for a cowboy hat, too.

Guys we are just at the tip of the iceberg I think. Some companies are betting on metrosexuals buying “pickups”. But many companies are gunning straight for blue collar pick up markets.

And the class 8 market is even more in flux.

Allison just introduced its new AXE E axle for the class 8 market. And Volvo, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Daimler plus newcomers like Tesla, Nikola and Thor are all gearing up.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190425axe.html

I love my C 15 6NZ engines, I love the straight stacks, the sound, the jake, all of it. These EV trucks look like a Japanese bullet train. Yuck! BUT! If I can side dump with an EV truck and skip the $400 fill up at the end of each day? That’s a savings on $2000 bucks a week minus my kilowatt usage. I also do not need to buy motor oil, radiator coolant, etc. Just brakes and tires, grease and gear oil.

I love these damn Pete’s so much. Im like a Harley Davidson loyalty guy. But I see the writing on the wall. I will not be able to compete with EV trucks who do not buy diesel. My only hope is that it will take awhile for it to get to construction. I think for now it’s mostly geared towards fleet motor freight market. 

I really feel like the mule skinner watching the chain drive Kenworth passing his wagon with a load of logs. Uh oh.

D476740F-9A6B-4290-9548-5B9950D58F40.jpeg

86AB3161-392E-4957-B9EC-6296BB7F3305.jpeg

CA4E3970-3120-44D3-B00E-AE77FC487CB6.jpeg

882D9BBF-7DD6-4E2C-B112-91F6329A5BDF.jpeg

0DFF95BC-5EE6-4B01-B4E6-72BF61FFBC30.jpeg

2202261B-DA1D-4179-94D3-7315B0A2E9FA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

So the plug ins for all of these cars are standardized? Or proprietary? Do you carry different plug in styles in the trunk?

I worked in the oil field for 7 years. But I’m still not happy with a fuel bill. If I can save money? I will. So long as what I buy can still do the job that diesel did before. Which I think is quickly catching up.

Well some are and some aren’t. The way I understand it there are four or five different types of docking plugs and adapters to make them work with your car. In Europe all of the charging stations must be universal in that whatever electric car you have you can charge it at any public charging station and that’s the way it’s heading here. A friend of mine and his wife are leaving on a trip from San Diego to Cleveland, Ohio in a few weeks and he tells me that charging stations are far more available this year than they were two years ago when they made the trip. There is a website that lists all of the charging stations in the US and it is pretty extensive. Over the last five years they have really built them out. Down here every Costco and a lot of grocery stores, Walmart’s, malls, hospitals, etc.. have charging stations. My granddaughter just bought  a  Chevy Volt and opted to not put a charger in her home because her employer has a row of charging stations for employees to charge their cars on and it’s free. They have a huge solar array. She does plan on having a charging station installed at her house when her other painting and remodel is finished. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

That Tesla Pickup be the Cats Meow!!   :D   Want one I do  :wub:

Until they do an unveil at a auto show? I would put no weight on that artist rendition.

There's nothing like the sound of a well tuned V-8 engine. Don't know what a well tuned electric motor sounds like other than a hum. Internal combustion engines are like VHS tapes, electric motors are like CD's. Electric is coming and one day we'll wake up and all of our internal combustion engines will still be functional. However, they will be antiquated and nearly worthless. 

Lord willing if all works out I be planning on a new 2019 or 2020 F-150 to replace ole blue (2006 F-250) next spring.

Wife wants 4-doors... I'm not fan of it, but if it makes her happy so be it. Also, you can't get the 8' foot bed with 4-door model so I reckon the 6-1/2' will have to do. Like the 5.0 Coyote V8 with 3.73 electronic lock axle. Eco-boost stuff definitely is a plus, but the V8 - it just says 'America' to me. We'll see. Also here that Ford may be having an even better 4.8 V8 soon.

Sorry, my post had absolutely NOTHING to do with electric pick-ups....just dreaming via keyboard.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Aha.  Nobody thought Elon Musk would successfully land a reusable booster either.  Wanna Bet??  Not me.  After all, Harley is testing a production version of an Electric Motorcycle.  Think I'll save my Box Tops for that Tesla Pickup.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Aha.  Nobody thought Elon Musk would successfully land a reusable booster either.  Wanna Bet??  Not me.  After all, Harley is testing a production version of an Electric Motorcycle.  Think I'll save my Box Tops for that Tesla Pickup.

I’m thinking the folks up in Reno, Nevada would be pretty happy to see a Tesla pickup, that’s where they’ll be built. Coming back from San Diego today there was about 30 Teslas in a convoy on the north bound 15 just south of Rancho Bernardo, there must have been a rally somewhere.

Maybe a Tesla pickup isn’t that far off.

EA79C461-6CE4-4760-8C0A-044EB22AF16A.png

Archived