SASS Wire Forum

A Tesla Pickup

Yul Lose

I’ve heard for awhile that Tesla is thinking of building a pickup and saw this Tesla concept picture on Pinterest. Yuck.

3B16FA2F-0592-41B6-B417-ECBEA922C634.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not a pickup truck, at least not by the Alabama definition.  Looks like something a millennial snowflake would drive, hauling a case of humus in the back.  IF the humus isn't too heavy for it.

For $200,000 they only have the capability of setting in the driveway. Yep, a millennial pickem up.

Looks like another SUV with a birth defect!!

With no need for a radiator to cool the engine ... I am surprised it has a flat front, instead of something more aerodynamic.

24 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Looks like another SUV with a birth defect!!

Hit the nail right on the head! :lol:

What is this fascination with these things they call “pickup trucks” that have little dinky beds and cabins the size of small campers? I really don’t get it at all. 

Blackwater definitely describes this thing well. “SUV with a birth defect.”

These things look like “trucks” designed by a committee of city dwelling sorority girls and frat boys.

The only time those things will be off pavement is in the commercials. Makes less sense than that stupid non-pickup pickup Chevy tried a few years back. Hell even our Explorer Sport-Trac was more useful than that thing.

The Avalanche was not considered a pickup by anyone. Other than magazines, nobody considers the Honda Ridgeline to be a pickup either!!

You might still call them trucks. Buick considers the Enclave to be a truck in some publications. The Jeep CJ was considered to be a truck, but NOT a pickup.  The lines get blurry where trucks are concerned.  A two wheeled furniture dolly is often called a hand truck.

GO FIGURE!!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What is this fascination with these things they call “pickup trucks” that have little dinky beds and cabins the size of small campers? I really don’t get it at all.

I'm with ya on that one. What's the point of a pickup truck that can haul the wife, dog, and five kids when you can't even fit a sheet of plywood in the back?

I like pickups. Heck, I like all kinds of cars, trucks, and have a fascination with motorcycles despite not owning one ever. I have an '08 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and I have over 200,000 miles on it thus far. I've owned an early Toyota pickup, and know they can be used for work and fun. I haul some with mine, not much but some. I also use it in the winter and for camping. My old Toyota I did some fun off-roading in.

I think the time is almost ripe for an electric pickup. It seems obvious to me that an electric pickup could be designed in such a way as to have massive amounts of towing capacity, rivaling or surpassing most diesels.

They could even be made to do well off-road. Imagine having a high torque electric motor at each wheel, eliminating the need for solid axles or independent suspensions as we know them. The downside becomes one of range. On pickups and 4x4s used for adventure and "overloading," if you want more range, you get larger or auxiliary fuel tanks and/or Jerry Cans or the like. At this point in time, I haven't seen an answer to that problem for electrics. One day soon, we might, though, and it may be a fun time.

Recently I've been looking at different options in case it became necessary to replace my Tundra. I've realized how much I miss my old '82 Toyota, or any of the other 4x4s I've owned. Simple, no nannies to try to save me from myself off-road, more of a driver connection to the vehicle and environment. I would opt for a Nissan Frontier over a Toyota Tacoma or any of the other small trucks for just that reason. It is about the most basic you can currently get. I have a hunch I would miss that even more with an electric pickup. "Enthusiast" vehicles of all types are slowly disappearing, which makes me sad. I often joke I'm an analog man living in a digital world. 

As for the Tesla prototype, to me it looks like someone needs to hit it with some epinephrine, it looks like it got stung by a bee.

11 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I often joke I'm an analog man living in a digital world. 

Ha! And here I thought I was alone. :D

I agree an electric pickup would be very cool. Think of the torque and towing capabilities. But these auto companies, including the Big 3, think some futuristic go buggy with a little bed box and a crapload of social networking features are what people want. It may be want some people want, but like you, the allure of a simplistic small pickup truck is all I really need. I also looked into the Nissan Frontier, not because I want a Nissan, but because I just wanted a simple truck. In the end I opted to just keep my old S10 ZR2 and deal with it’s nickel and diming me with malfunctioning bits and pieces. 

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But these auto companies, including the Big 3, think some futuristic go buggy with a little bed box and a crapload of social networking features are what people want.

Unfortunately it IS what people want these days. I'm on several car and truck discussion forums, and by and large the enthusiasts are completely frustrated by the fact that the biggest common denominator is the suburban car or truck buyer who simply wants something with an image and that includes all the creature comforts of home. Actual performance, be it on or off-road is of little consideration. For example most of the new Jeeps are woefully underpowered and lack proper ground clearance for anything but a gravel road, yet they're an entertainment system on wheels and people are buying them as fast as they can make them. The new pickups are the same way. They project a tough, rugged image, and yet you'll see most of them hardly have a scratch on them as they rarely ever haul anything but the kids from a soccer match. The tiny beds are Rhino-lined and yet there isn't a speck of dirt inside them. The huge off-road tires have never seen anything more hazardous than a grass playing field. Seeing a pickup truck that's actually used for WORK and looks like it's been there is getting harder and harder nowadays, unless it's a city utility or construction vehicle.

The biggest drawback to an all electric truck is that most of the hauling or towing capacity would be taken up by the battery bulk and weight.

Another drawback to all of these electric vehicles is the system that produces the batteries.  Obtaining the raw materials is a nasty, environmentally destructive endeavor. Disposal of the byproducts is also detrimental to the environment.  Some of this is improving, but it’s not all that environmentally friendly at this time.

18 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Another drawback to all of these electric vehicles is the system that produces the batteries.  Obtaining the raw materials is a nasty, environmentally destructive endeavor. Disposal of the byproducts is also detrimental to the environment.  Some of this is improving, but it’s not all that environmentally friendly at this time.

True. So many people think electric vehicles are the be-all, end-all solution to the environmental damage wrought by fuel-burning ones, not realizing that they present their own environmental headaches. Besides the mining for lithium (a very destructive process) there is also the matter of disposal of toxic, aged batteries, plus the fact that all these electric cars will place added strain on our already overworked electrical grid. That electricity has to come from somewhere, and we've dammed up enough rivers as it is.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Hundred dollars says it couldn't pull a greased string out of a chicken's ass.

I will take that bet. It’s 750 hp with four motors at each hub. Electrical motors have full torque within one revolution of the shaft.

Thats never been the problem. The problem is making batteries small enough and last long enough to feed it. They claim 400 + miles of range. Which I find dubious if your pulling a heavy load or driving in cold weather.

Trains use diesel generators to produce power for electric motors that pull massive loads for example.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

True. So many people think electric vehicles are the be-all, end-all solution to the environmental damage wrought by fuel-burning ones, not realizing that they present their own environmental headaches. Besides the mining for lithium (a very destructive process) there is also the matter of disposal of toxic, aged batteries, plus the fact that all these electric cars will place added strain on our already overworked electrical grid. That electricity has to come from somewhere, and we've dammed up enough rivers as it is.

Natural gas is the go to back up for wind and solar power.

Plus the vehicle still needs steel, copper and other mining intensive materials.

We need to go back to nuclear energy. The technology has came a long ways, and is now safer than ever. Plus it’s the power of the universe. And if we cannot figure it out we should probably just go back to the Stone Age.

3 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

We need to go back to nuclear energy. The technology has came a long ways, and is now safer than ever. Plus it’s the power of the universe. And if we cannot figure it out we should probably just go back to the Stone Age.

Unfortunately the liberal progressives who think only of A-bombs when they think of nuclear power would probably prefer that we all go back to the Stone Age.

Just now, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately the liberal progressives who think only of A-bombs when they think of nuclear power would probably prefer that we all go back to the Stone Age.

Im a firm believer in “Leading by example”.....

23C74D9E-006C-4A8A-8D83-B1CDEAC13395.jpeg

Most new pickups I see used in construction have had their bed replaced, usually after quickly destroying the bed that came with the truck.

Tree Huggers and such that love electric vehicles won’t be harmed by the batteries either during mining, manufacturing or disposal. That is done out of their sight...in China.

Who wants to bet in 20 years a bunch of bed-wetters are putting on a concert for China due to the environmental destruction? They can call it “Live Wire Aid” or some stupid catchy name...

GMC and Chevrolet sell the WT trucks.  They're available in 1500, 2500, and 3500 models. That's from half ton all the way to a 1 ton dually and with as little or as much extra as you want.

Ol' Green is an HD version of the WT.  A/C, power steering, and power brakes.  Crank windows, manual door locks, and mechanical seat adjustment.  Made for work!!  Great for play!!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The biggest drawback to an all electric truck is that most of the hauling or towing capacity would be taken up by the battery bulk and weight.

I did say "almost ripe." If the problems you mention can be figured out, we'll see where that leaves us. 

I agree nuclear energy is the way to go. I believe we had that discussion on another thread.

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wish Ford would go retro and make the old F100 again...nah, they’d muck it up. Never mind...

Yes, yes they most likely would. I'm picturing an old style full size pickup with this massive infotainment system right in the middle, multiple color choice options for the dash lighting, an eco-friendly 4 cylinder engine, 9 speed automatic trans, heated steering wheel and seats with multi position memory and lumbar support, 20" wheels to clear the brakes but 7" of ground clearance. Cost north of $60,000, but if you turn your head and squint your eyes just right in dim light, it almost looks like an old F-100 though.

48 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Yes, yes they most likely would. I'm picturing an old style full size pickup with this massive infotainment system right in the middle, multiple color choice options for the dash lighting, an eco-friendly 4 cylinder engine, 9 speed automatic trans, heated steering wheel and seats with multi position memory and lumbar support, 20" wheels to clear the brakes but 7" of ground clearance. Cost north of $60,000, but if you turn your head and squint your eyes just right in dim light, it almost looks like an old F-100 though.

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Archived