SASS Wire Forum

Low Power .410 using pistol brass.

Just out of curiosity, the .410 shotshell has a length of 2.5"   If for some reason you wanted to load up some lower power rounds for it, would loading up some shotshells with .45 Colt, .454 Cassul or .460 S&W brass be a viable option?  All are shorter than the .410, so I am thinking, less powder which equals less powerful.   The .45 might be too short and weak, which is what made me think of the other 2 cases, which are just enlongated .45 Colts.   It probably would not work in a lever or pump gun, but in a SxS it just might.  

Or am I missing something here?  This is all speculation, I do not even own a .410. 

52 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just out of curiosity, the .410 shotshell has a length of 2.5"   If for some reason you wanted to load up some lower power rounds for it, would loading up some shotshells with .45 Colt, .454 Cassul or .460 S&W brass be a viable option? 

YES...REF: Taurus "Judge" revolver (chambered in .410/.45 Colt)

I've also fired .45 Colt blanks in a 12ga/.410 adapter in a single-shot.

While not optimum, Yes it will work.  Sort of.  Isn't much room for the Shot nor Wads.  Best bet is with dedicated shot capsules.  I had a 45/410 barrel for my TC Contender.  While both worked, neither worked well.

When Kaya started out I made brass .410 shells out of .444 Marlin brass. 12.5 grains H110, a red .410 wad, top with shot and glue on an over-shot card. Worked like a champ. You can do the same with a 45 Colt for up close snake work.

I have also used the 444 marlin with smokeless and black.   With black you can come up with light or heavy loads and all loads between.   With black you should have about equal amounts of powder and shot.  Bullett 19707

On 5/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just out of curiosity, the .410 shotshell has a length of 2.5"   If for some reason you wanted to load up some lower power rounds for it, would loading up some shotshells with .45 Colt, .454 Cassul or .460 S&W brass be a viable option?  All are shorter than the .410, so I am thinking, less powder which equals less powerful.   The .45 might be too short and weak, which is what made me think of the other 2 cases, which are just enlongated .45 Colts.   It probably would not work in a lever or pump gun, but in a SxS it just might.  

Or am I missing something here?  This is all speculation, I do not even own a .410. 

410 Caliber also comes in 3"...

;)

For what purpose?   

Trick aerial shooting? 

Practice? 

Shooting mice in the house? 

I ran across an interesting old single shot 44-40 smooth bore in a gunshop recently.  Maybe used for rat killing in warehouses and on board ships.  

Archived