SASS Wire Forum

I have always heard that, on some artillery piece used in Vietnam, one click of elevation would move down range impact 1000 meters. Therefore one click equaled one kilometer. Although I do not know which particular artillery piece this was supposed to be.

Book I was reading the other day, the term was used by a character in 1945 Occupied Germany.

Hmmm. That's about 20 years earlier than it should have been. So off to Google I go, to find out why a kilometer is a klick.

And it does appear to be klick, with a K, not click with a C.

Google had many reasons. All different. The one I like the best was where one click on the T&E of a machine gun would move down range impact exactly one meter at 1000 meters.

Hmmm again. 40" at 1100 yards is 4" at 110 yards. That seemed like a helluva lota movement. One click on my scope moves it 1/4" at 100 yards. I believe my Garand is 1" at 100 yards. FOUR inches???

But answering the question, a klick is one kilometer, but no one seens to know why

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have always heard that, on some artillery piece used in Vietnam, one click of elevation would move down range impact 1000 meters. Therefore one click equaled one kilometer. Although I do not know which particular artillery piece this was supposed to be.

Artillery doesn’t work like that.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Book I was reading the other day, the term was used by a character in 1945 Occupied Germany.

Hmmm. That's about 20 years earlier than it should have been. So off to Google I go, to find out why a kilometer is a klick.

And it does appear to be klick, with a K, not click with a C.

Google had many reasons. All different. The one I like the best was where one click on the T&E of a machine gun would move down range impact exactly one meter at 1000 meters.

Hmmm again. 40" at 1100 yards is 4" at 110 yards. That seemed like a helluva lota movement. One click on my scope moves it 1/4" at 100 yards. I believe my Garand is 1" at 100 yards. FOUR inches???

But answering the question, a klick is one kilometer, but no one seens to know why

Alpo,

There is a bit of a mix of distance and angles in this.

We use Mils, not degrees, in the military (see definition below).

One Mil at One Kilometer is One Meter. This is the angle difference expressed in dist (change the angle by one mil and you are aiming one meter off)

Where a round would fall then also requires ballistics to be considered.

Think if I aimed one mil higher with a 45/70 would the round land in the same place as a 308W?

A milliradian, often called a mil or mrad, is an SI derived unit for angular measurement which is defined as a thousandth of a radian (0.001 radian). Mils are used in adjustment of firearm sights by adjusting the angle of the sight compared to the barrel (up, down, left or right).

14 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

A milliradian, often called a mil or mrad, is an SI derived unit for angular measurement which is defined as a thousandth of a radian (0.001 radian). Mils are used in adjustment of firearm sights by adjusting the angle of the sight compared to the barrel (up, down, left or right).

Now my head hurts.

IIRC, SSgt Buxton once tolt me a CLICK was 1 mil on my Garand, or 1" @ 100 yards, 2" @ 200 yards, etc. 

He also insisted that a Klick was 6/10 of a mile down the trail, and move my A$$.

I miss SSgt Buxton. He learned me so much stuff.  

21 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

IIRC, SSgt Buxton once tolt me a CLICK was 1 mil on my Garand, or 1" @ 100 yards, 2" @ 200 yards, etc. 

He also insisted that a Klick was 6/10 of a mile down the trail, and move my A$$.

I miss SSgt Buxton. He learned me so much stuff.  

One mil is a yard at 1000 yard. I’d say the SSgt was math impaired which is not uncommon for infantry E-6.

18 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

One mil is a yard at 1000 yard. I’d say the SSgt was math impaired which is not uncommon for infantry E-6.

Oh,  SSgt Buxton was so much wiser than that. He teached me so much stuff designed to keep my A$$ all together. 

Archived