SASS Wire Forum

wrong rifle!

Bugler

Ever go to the line and after starting the stage you realize that you have an almost same gun as yours but it it not?

Yep, I did that last weekend......wasn't sure what to do, didn't know if it was loaded or not.....the owner of the rifle brought mine to the table where it was supposed to be staged.....thought I heard him say, trade ya'....

Bugler

My wife picked up the wrong shotgun one time, then, on the clock, was baffled to discover that “her” shotgun suddenly only had one trigger instead of two!

Back before there were guncarts, (ancient history, I know)... there were long gun racks in the area of the loading tables...  When there was room at the loading table, one picked up one's shotgun, broke it open if it'd happened to close being set down... as often happens to a double, picked up one's rifle and headed to the loading table.  My wife was standing talking to another shooter, and a feller plopped  a '92 Rossi that was decorated just like my wife's in the rack.  (Except for that "Griff's Girl" on the side of the receiver).   He picked up what he thought was his rifle, loaded & shot the stage with her gun... then walked off from the unloading table toward the next stage... thinkin'... I don't know what!!!  When she figured out someone'd "stolen" her rifle... she was mightily incensed.  He then tried to talk her into a trade... apparently her's was much, much smoother than his! 

Same thing happened to me a whole bunch of years ago. One of the local clubs was too crowded for guncarts so all the long guns were staged in racks.

Somebody grabbed my shotgun. It's been so long that I don't remember if he shot the stage with it or if I retrieved it before he had a chance to.

During side match day at Gunsmoke a few years ago we were at the loading table getting ready to shoot speed shotgun. I grabbed Whiskey Rick's shotgun by mistake. Shot the stage. Eventually got to my camper and started to clean my guns and something about the shotgun just didn't quite look right. Finally chased him down about 45 minutes later. He had a look somewhere between frantic and relief on his face. We joke about it every year. By the way, we were both shooting SKB's.

I've went to the wrong cart a number of times because the Rugged Gear carts are popular and look similar.  

The worst mistake I made was to pack the wrong Marlin for Sawmill Mary. (She collects Marlin 1894s like other women collect shoes.  She's got a pair of CBL - short and long - in 357 and another pair in 44 Magnum plus a couple of others.) She could have used my Marlin but refused.  She just didn't shoot.  

At our local match last year I picked up and staged my (I thought) Stoeger shotgun, I found out in the shotgun part of the stage you cant put 12 ga. shells in a 20 ga. shotgun, yup had one of the other cowboys shotgun that looked just like mine. Oh and I was being videoed, double crap!   SCJ

A long while ago, an elderly shooter gets to her shotgun, picks it up, and loads 2 20 ga shells.  They just disappear down the tubes.  With a bewildering look, looks at the TO and says “I don’t think this is my gun”.  The next up shooter, who sees this, looks at the shotgun she had and realizes the mistakes and loudly exclaims “Because it’s mine!!!”.  Both of their guns looked like twins, both blued, same color butt stock co er, twin triggers, and even the stocks were very similar in color and grain.  It was good laugh by all!!!

The wife took last week off because of a sore knee.  Her rifle, however, went to the match with me.  I got confused on the first stage because my big brass bead sight wasn't on the end of my rifle.  Two people at the unloading table asked me why I was using my wife's rifle (she has a large butt-cover with her logo on it).

A couple years ago I inadvertently picked up the buckerette's shotgun who was at the loading table behind me.  Her Stoeger was a lot shorter and stiffer than my SKB.  After I finished the stage, she walked over and asked if she could have her shotgun back.  To this day I sneak over and touch her shotgun while she's at the loading table and she slaps my hand with a big smile on her face.

Being the only Lightning shooter in these parts mine don’t get picked up by mistake to often......ever.;)

20 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

...A couple years ago I inadvertently picked up the buckerette's shotgun who was at the loading table behind me.  Her Stoeger was a lot shorter and stiffer than my SKB.  After I finished the stage, she walked over and asked if she could have her shotgun back.  To this day I sneak over and touch her shotgun while she's at the loading table and she slaps my hand with a big smile on her face.

We still tease certain cowboys about that stage.  :lol:

Had a guy pick up a Rossi he thought was his, loaded it with 44 mags., shot the stage, then realized it wasn't his rifle at the unloading table. The rifle was a 45 colt and he was clean on the stage. The owner of the rifle was butt hurt, no damage to the rifle.

Cowhand accidentally picked up my rifle from the loading table rack...

Now he's a weeee-bit shorter than me, and my rifle stock is extended a couple inches.

You should of seen him when he ran to the rifle and tried to shoulder it. It was quite hilarious... We all enjoyed his pain.

Phantom

Normally, that I shoot a Henry and a Hammer Double prevents mistaken identity.  EXCEPT:  At my favorite place for a match, Henry Rifles and Hammer Doubles are really really common.  Vigilance is do rigger.

Squeaky & I started shooting single trigger SKBs from Johnny Meadows in August of '08.  In the spring of '09, heading to an ACSA match, I goofed & loaded Squeaky's double trigger Stoeger coach gun in the truck. She loaded it in the gun cart and carried it to the LT, loaded it, & carried it to the line. 1st stage started with sg in hand. At the buzzer she fired 1st shell & then kept trying to pull the front trigger again until the TO told her to pull the back trigger! I was next in line at the LT and knew right there & then it was gonna' be a LONG day!!

DC

You think grabbing the wrong gun is bad, try having the right gun but mistakenly loading misses in it instead of hits!  That happens to me a lot--I gotta get better at identifying those bad bullets!

13 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

We also use a rack for our long guns and I always have to look very carefully which one to pick, there are just too many 73s! I really need to add some optical uniqueness to my guns somehow!

We had a group start a club and most bought their firearms at that time.  Most of the rifles were 73s and mistakes did happen.  I have since had custom leather butt covers made with my cowboy alias initials engraved.  Plus, I have leather thongs at the butt with colored beads on each of my long guns.

Some bought the brass tacks and made designs in their stock and forearm.  Others added feathers to their rifles.  Now there is very little chance of a mistaken rifle.

Lone Rider

I think it probably happened more back in the days before butt covers were more common.  Once I picked up a Baikal from the rack.  When I went to fire it, the safety was on.  "Hmm, must have accidently pushed it on."  Next two shots, safety is on again.  "Hmm, wrong shotgun!"  And I was shooting BP, so that guy had to clean his shotgun. :)  After that, I put a concho on the bottom of the pistol grip that shows up easily in the rack.

Another time a shooter loaded .38's into "his" yellowboy, and at the line the first one fired, but sounded funny.  Second one didn't fire so he levered again and then it jammed.  The second round had started down the barrel but was far enough back to prevent the next round from chambering.  He sets it down.  At the unloading table he is messing with it and trying to figure out what happened.  That's when I told him it was my 44 Spcl '66.

Then just last year, I couldn't make a factory AA round chamber into "my" '97.  I mean, how many 30" barrel '97's with no finish and no butt cover are going to be in the rack, anyway?  Apparently two, mine and the 16 ga. that I picked up.

Shooting someone elses gun is unfortunate and embarressing, we had a guy take another fellers shotgun home:blink:

We all watched him like a hawk from then on, his was blued the "borrowed" one stainless:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Shortly after starting CAS, I realized that "personalizing" my long guns was probably a good idea!
;)

Tacked rifles - wire.jpg

I really like that idea and am considering something along those lines--I just have to convince myself that I can drive tacks into all that lovely furniture without thinking, "OMG I've ruined it!"

29 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

I really like that idea and am considering something along those lines--I just have to convince myself that I can drive tacks into all that lovely furniture without thinking, "OMG I've ruined it!"

Hint... lay out the pattern you want in pencil FIRST!!! :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

And drill little holes first, or the tack can split the wood.

I once grabbed what I thought was my shotgun but it wasn't shoot pistol rifle and go to shoot shotgun my shells wouldn't go in the TO says looks like your shell have swollen,  know matter how hard you try 12 gauge shells will not fit in a 20 gauge.  the guy on the loading table was laughing the whole time I think he may of switched mine for his wife's.

13 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

... the guy on the loading table was laughing the whole time I think he may of switched mine for his wife's.

Suuuuure, blame it on the other guy. :D

47 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

I once grabbed what I thought was my shotgun but it wasn't shoot pistol rifle and go to shoot shotgun my shells wouldn't go in the TO says looks like your shell have swollen,  know matter how hard you try 12 gauge shells will not fit in a 20 gauge.  the guy on the loading table was laughing the whole time I think he may of switched mine for his wife's.

Beware folks shooting in your category that you're posse'd with... 

:blush::blush::blush:

First, in my defense, I hadn't shot much before SASS and this happened during my first year shooting.

Now for the confession, I was shooting next to Hubby. His pistols (45s) looked just like mine (38s). They were the same make and both had black grips. I picked up one of his and tried to load my ammo in it. Then, I said (for all to hear), Jess, my ammo just falls out of my pistol.

:blush::blush::blush:

Sawmill Mary only shoot Marlin Cowboy.  For a year I was shooting my Cowboy that looked like her Marlin but in 45 Colt.  I got a brass coat button about 1/2" diamater and worked it in the lace of the lever wrap.  This helped me pick up the right one out of the cart. 

Nice to hear that I am NOT the only one to do this!!! Must confess to feeling a mite bewildered..........

Bugler

On 5/16/2019 at 11:51 AM, Griff said:

Hint... lay out the pattern you want in pencil FIRST!!! :ph34r:

and pre drill the holes.   Abeline beat me.

Archived