SASS Wire Forum

James Best has passed

Captain Clark

I used to fish with James "Jim" Best back in the early 70's.  I worked at a recreational lake in S. California, Lake Piru, and Mr. Best would rent a boat from us and go fishing.  He'd ask me when I got off and he'd come back to the marina and pick me up, then we'd fish until dark.  James Best told me he was just the son of a poor Arkansas dirt farmer.  He was a lighthearted regular guy and as good as they come.  We spent many hours talking and sharing our stories.  I like to think we became friends.  Lost track of him after I stopped working at Lake Piru and went back into the Army.  I remember once that Jim told me the best thing he liked about being financially well off was that he could go fishing just about anywhere and time he wanted, the rest was just mostly trouble.

Jim, thanks for taking me fishing.  When I get to the other side, let's go fishing again and talk.

5 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Well now don't I look stoopid! :blush:

Continue on without my input.

Now you resemble the rest of us. So hurry up and get a few rounds of your favorite libation before Bottles figures out that Pat Riot is not going to be able to pay his tab. :D

34 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Well now don't I look stoopid! :blush:

Continue on without my input.

Captain, believe me, I have done similar things. Don’t let it bother you. I once found out about something on the Internet and touted it on another forum only to become a laughing stock for perpetuating an urban legend. It was quite embarrassing. What made it worse, no one seemed to forget it and it was brought up every time I posted.

Hmmm...what were we talking about? I can’t seem to...oh yes, I was about to buy you a drink or twa.

Bottles, come over here, Sir. We are parched! :D

37 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

No resemble the rest of us. So hurry up and get a few rounds of your favorite libation before Bottles figures out that Pat Riot is not going to be able to pay his tab. :D

Dangit! Don’t say that so loud....:D

Bottles, don’t mind Dave. He’s drunk.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Dukes of hazzard sid him wrong in my view compared to how he seemed in gunsmoke and other times I saw him

Agreed,

In all the westerns I saw him in he was a great supporting actor. Kinda made me wonder why he decided to play the part of Rosco P Coltrane.

I learned my lesson on this! Im loading up the camper and going shooting in Arizona! 

Sure hope I don't poke myself in the eye over there:lol:

And yea... I still kinda feel  stoopid:)

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Agreed,

In all the westerns I saw him in he was a great supporting actor. Kinda made me wonder why he decided to play the part of Rosco P Coltrane.

Because it was a paying gig?

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 8:15 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Dukes of hazzard sid him wrong in my view compared to how he seemed in gunsmoke and other times I saw him

He chose to play Roscoe P Coletrain that way.  He read the lines before auditioning and made the conscious decision on how to portray the sheriff.  Casting liked it and he got the role.  According to James Best in an interview.

He was in this mornings episode of Have Gun, Will Travel.

Archived