SASS Wire Forum

Marlin .357 OAL

Rye Miles #13621

Question for you Marlin guys, what’s a good OAL for .38’s in a JM Marlin .357. This rifle is about 15 yrs old. 

Thanks,  Rye

1.440 ish

Pretty much agree with ShyAnnie.

RYE:  If the timing ramp is worn somewhat, something closer to 1.5+ will probably give

better, more reliable feeding.

If the timing is good,  the 1.4+ should work good.

If the timing is very good,  a 1.38 would even work well without any issues.

..........Widder

Load up 10-12 dummy rounds with mixed brass and start by seating the bullet at the crimp groove.

What do you have for COAL when loaded like I said?

If you have the POS plastic mag follower, get a metal one ASAP.

OLG

It took me a lot of trial and error to get both of my Marlin's to feed reliably in 38 Special. I use 1.38" OAL with a 125 Gr. Round Nose Flat Point bullet. I could never get the cone shaped flat point bullets that I use in my pistols to feed consistantly in my Marlin rifles.

I've got 4,  2 short stroke,, they need 1.440 and under,,,  my other two run anything I put in them, but they taint exactly stock either

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I've got 4,  2 short stroke,, they need 1.140 and under,,,  my other two run anything I put in them, but they taint exactly stock either

ShyAnnie,

Is that correct   "1.140".   Thats something like shooting those 148 grain hollow base wadcutters that are fully seated

almost flush with the case mouth.

Admittedly, I set up one of my Widdermatics to run those flawlessly, but it wasn't short stroked.

..........Widder

Hi Rye,

I have 2 JM Marlins that like a 158 grain RNFP bullet in a 38 Special Starline case.  The length is 1.511".  They feed pretty good.

You don't seat the bullet down all the way at this length.  Seat it to get a length of 1.511" and give it a good crimp.

These are both stock Marlins.  I learned this from Telegraphy Ken years ago.  

Mo

The wife's likes 38 special brass with 125 gr LTC bullets seated out to 1.507. It also feeds 147 gr RNFP seated to 1.501.

Like Slo Mo Dern's neither bullet is crimped in the groove but about 1/2 way between it and the lube grove.

One caveat is you have to add a little more powder than the minimum publish load. By seating long you have a little extra case volume that has to be accounted for.

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

ShyAnnie,

Is that correct   "1.140".   Thats something like shooting those 148 grain hollow base wadcutters that are fully seated

almost flush with the case mouth.

Admittedly, I set up one of my Widdermatics to run those flawlessly, but it wasn't short stroked.

..........Widder

oops,, ! 1.440

Okay thanks guys, I'm at 1.46 with a 125 grainer and they feed fine in my 73 Uberti .357.

I'm not a Marlin guy but I'm getting a good deal on one Saturday! Can't pass up a good deal!!:D

I'll check it out on the range!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay thanks guys, I'm at 1.46 with a 125 grainer and they feed fine in my 73 Uberti .357.

I'm not a Marlin guy but I'm getting a good deal on one Saturday! Can't pass up a good deal!!:D

I'll check it out on the range!

Is that to the crimp groove?

OLG

29 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Is that to the crimp groove?

OLG

No it’s OAL 

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My bad-:blush:

Should have asked-Is the bullet crimped at the crimp groove?

Who's bullet are you use'n?

OLG

Probably His bullet.....  :lol:   

Sorri Lumpy, I couldn't resist..... :D

..........Widder

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My bad-:blush:

Should have asked-Is the bullet crimped at the crimp groove?

Who's bullet are you use'n?

OLG

YES it's crimped at the crimp groove. 125 gr RNFP

Well folks I bought the Marlin. It's a 24" and my .38's feed just fine. Great shooter, very accurate and I forgot how light these are compared to the 73's and 66's. This is an older JM Marlin, love it!! I just may be a Marlin convert! :o

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well folks I bought the Marlin. It's a 24" and my .38's feed just fine. Great shooter, very accurate and I forgot how light these are compared to the 73's and 66's. This is an older JM Marlin, love it!! I just may be a Marlin convert! :o

Now Rye, you know the rules, pictures or it didn't happen :P

18 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Now Rye, you know the rules, pictures or it didn't happen :P

Okay, I'll get 'em up today or tomorrow, I don't wanna break the rooles!!!:P

My new used Marlin, this was a rifle used by one of our sadly deceased pards, Tom Tube.  Great shooting rifle and it may make me a Marlin convert!

BTW 1.46 OAL length works great! Thanks for all the responses.

Rye

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I used the Marlin for the first time this weekend and I cleaned the shoot!!! The rifle shoots great and my 1.46 OAL works flawlessly!

;)

Archived