SASS Wire Forum

Military Marches

I love listening to Military Marches.

Please share one of your favorite Military Marches.

And, if Utah Bob doesn't post Garryowen, he should be flogged.

Prussia Gloria!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=prussia+gloria+march&view=detail&mid=1613B75B6CAF9F3276851613B75B6CAF9F327685&FORM=VIRE

I cant get onto UTube at work (but I can get onto SASS?)

Our marches at 1st Armoured Regt were:

Quick- Radetski

Slow- The Grand March (from Aida- I think the elephants tipped it over the line:rolleyes:)

1st Armoured Regiment
1st Armoured Regiment cap badge.png
Cap badge of the 1st Armoured Regiment
Active 7 July 1949 – present
Country Australia
Branch Australian Army
Type Armoured
Role Armoured Cavalry
Size One regiment
Part of 1st Brigade[1]
Garrison/HQ RAAF Base Edinburgh, South Australia[2]
Motto(s) Latin: Paratus
("Prepared")[3]
March Quick—Radetski[4]
Slow—Grand March from Aida[4]
Engagements Vietnam War

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

I cant get onto UTube at work (but I can get onto SASS?)

Our marches at 1st Armoured Regt were:

Quick- Radetski

Slow- The Grand March (from Aida- I think the elephants tipped it over the line:rolleyes:)

1st Armoured Regiment
1st Armoured Regiment cap badge.png
Cap badge of the 1st Armoured Regiment
Active 7 July 1949 – present
Country Australia
Branch Australian Army
Type Armoured
Role Armoured Cavalry
Size One regiment
Part of 1st Brigade[1]
Garrison/HQ RAAF Base Edinburgh, South Australia[2]
Motto(s) Latin: Paratus
("Prepared")[3]
March Quick—Radetski[4]
Slow—Grand March from Aida[4]
Engagements Vietnam War

My favorite marching tune is “Anchors Aweigh”. Yes, I am biased. :D

This is one of the best versions of Anchors Aweigh I have heard done by a live band. And it is performed by the Japanese Navy Band. :D (this tickles me for some reason) This video is from 2016. There is no gratuitous musical lead up to the main body of music, which I like. One doesn’t go through a preparation to March, why do bandleaders think a garrulous lead up is in order. I will attach a couple of videos that show what I mean here.

And now, a wonderful rendition of Anchors Aweigh:

Grrrrrr......

This one sounds like they are starting the US Air Force song.

I've also always been fond of "Brighton Camp March" (the girl I left behind me) and this one played by a high school band is quite well done.  They start at 25 seconds into the video and the sound is then perfect.  Interesting little addition in the middle of the march.  You'll want to listen to it all.

When I was a teen I had an LP my dad bought me called Pass in Review. It was a parade held in London in honor of Armed Forces Day. I remember how it started. You heard the sound of marching boots as the Queens Guard moved into position. Then, down the line, each battalion commander could be heard giving the command, "PASS IN REVIEW". then the command was given in a booming Cockney voice (probably the regimental Sgt Major) "BY THE LEFT IN TWOS. QUICK MARCH!. And he show was on.

The parade began with foreign military bands...British, French, Italian (they double timed past the reviewing stand to much applause), German Bundeswehr band singing Lili Marlene (kind of a cool but polite reception from the crowd), and even the Russians.  That was followed on the flip side by US bands, including a southern college who played Dixie. At the end a combined us/foreign band played one of the greatest renditions of the Stars and Stripes Forever that I have ever heard to this day. Must have listened to it a thousand times.

Sure wish I still had that record. :(

I was in High School and college ROTC before going on AD in the Army, and later the Marines.  I played tenor sax and you can't imagine what it's like to march to some of this music unless you've been on the field either playing the music or  marching to it.

Haven't had a sax in my hands since 1960 but I doubt it would take much for me to get Semper Fidelis, The Colonel Bogie March, Bonnie Lassie, or Barcarolle from The Tales of Hoffman.  My lip is gone but I still remember where to put my fingers and the cadences are burned into the marrow of my soul.

Still nothing better that a well played bagpipe....and nothing worse than one that isn't well played.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Still nothing better that a well played bagpipe....and nothing worse than one that isn't well played.

A true gentleman is a man who may know how to play the bagpipesbut doesn't

A fella said the definition of perfect pitch is throwing the bagpipes and hitting the dumpster dead center.

I disagreed with the cretin of course.

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A fella said the definition of perfect pitch is throwing the bagpipes and hitting the dumpster dead center.

I disagreed with the cretin of course.

The perfect-est pitch is when the poorly played bagpipe hits the poorly played banjo in the dumpster’s bottom. 

But put them in the hands of the Black Watch or Earl Scruggs, ain’t nothing finer. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The perfect-est pitch is when the poorly played bagpipe hits the poorly played banjo in the dumpster’s bottom. 

But put them in the hands of the Black Watch or Earl Scruggs, ain’t nothing finer. 

I didn't know the Black Watch played banjo, nor that Earl Scruggs played bagpipes.

anything Sousa...........also the commando march by samuel barber and brighton beach by latham, also amparita roca by texidor

Bugler

18 minutes ago, Bugler said:

anything Sousa...........also the commando march by samuel barber and brighton beach by latham, also amparita roca by texidor

Bugler

I agree. Any march by Sousa...and played by the Marine Band. I went to a Marine Band concert in Birmingham AL back in the '80s. The director at that time was a colonel from Louisiana. He did a heck of a good job on Dixie.

11 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I agree. Any march by Sousa...and played by the Marine Band. I went to a Marine Band concert in Birmingham AL back in the '80s. The director at that time was a colonel from Louisiana. He did a heck of a good job on Dixie.

Had the privilege and honor to see the Marine Corps band from H & I AND The Black Watch together at an Anaheim Convention Center in about 1976.  I was stationed at NWS Sea Beach and they gave all the Marines and their spice (plural of spouse) free tickets.  I have never seen such a marvelous show of any kind.  Lots of history involved , grand and glorious music (many bagpipes but no banjos), great colors and action, and the most enthusiastic audience on the planet......all in about four hours.

I'd go again in a second if they were anywhere near.

I have a copy of The Stars and Stripes Forever (1952) on disc. Dang good movie. I think I’ll watch it tonight. :FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had the privilege and honor to see the Marine Corps band from H & I AND The Black Watch together at an Anaheim Convention Center in about 1976

I saw the same "Hands Across the Water " tour of Her Majesty's Royal Marines and Black Watch in San Diego,  minus the USMC band.

First concert I ever attended. 

I went to a Sousa concert in Stuart Florida years ago. The conductor was a Sousa fanatic and dress the part, down to the uniform and beard. It was about a 40 piece band of mostly volunteers and it was in a small turn of the century theater.

Great concert!!

Archived