SASS Wire Forum

backyard blacksmithing

Howdy All,

For any of the backyard blacksmiths out there, I'm looking for a propane forge. Basic knife making setup to get things going in the garage. hammers, anvils, tongs, etc.

Howdy Pard, 

I recently bought a Hell's Forge on Ebay... $249 free shipping been using for 9 months very regularly with no issues. 2 burner forge, reaches welding temps with no issues. Then built a brake drum coal forge and use it alot too. Very easy to build if that's your cup of tea. I picked up some reasonable starter tongs on Ebay as well and working into making my own now. Just bought a new Emerson 100lb anvil from Jantz knife making supply. Give them a look, they have tons of stuff.  Hope this helps 

Larabee 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:56 PM, Moe T Vator said:

Howdy All,

For any of the backyard blacksmiths out there, I'm looking for a propane forge. Basic knife making setup to get things going in the garage. hammers, anvils, tongs, etc.

I like GS tongs. I have some duplicate hammers and fullers id let go reasonable. Get a GOOD anvil right off. PM me if you need hammers or other small tools.

Tennessee Williams is correct about the anvil.... a junk anvil will work you to death. I found that out the hard way  !! A good one is worth the money. 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Larabee said:

Tennessee Williams is correct about the anvil.... a junk anvil will work you to death. I found that out the hard way  !! A good one is worth the money. 

I know nothing about smithing.

Why is a good anvil so much better?

A good anvil will support your steel and hand your hammer back to you. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's what you're after when your hammering steel.

A soft, cast iron anvil absorbs your hammer blows so your arm does more work, pulling your hammer back to swing again. If you hit a good anvil with a good hammer you'll get a beautiful RING, when you hit a P.O.S. anvil the best you'll ever get is Thuck. (don't hit the face with a hammer without hot steel in between. Hit the heel, or under the horn to check the ring. At least until you own it!

Remember Blacksmiths only go to hell for two reasons. Pounding on cold iron, and not charging enough for their work.

I had a worn out anvil and that's exactly what it done every time i used it.... wore me out.... i bought a new 100 lb. Emerson anvil and couldn't believe the difference once i started pounding hot steel on it. It didn't wear me out and real joy to work on.... huge difference....huge !!!

Archived