SASS Wire Forum

Man oh man did I just get a rare 1894!

Stopsign32v

Ever come across one of those firearms that you just know, regardless of cost, if you do not end up with it you will have haunted dreams about it getting away?

This was one of them. Ridiculously rare and in such mint shape! The owner was a long time Marlin collector that sadly recently passed away and his wife had brought his collection in to sell. I had to have it. It isn't that old but certainly a gem... Can't wait to get it in my hands later this week!

Here is a pic of my favorite (until I get this one!) 1894. I know you guys need pics. You all will have to wait later this week for the one I just got though!

Here is my pretty 20 inch JM Cowboy Carbine. They sure aren't common either!

44195448974_af211040b6_c.jpg

29978956877_a3bc8a05fe_c.jpg[

2 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Here is a pic of my favorite (until I get this one!) 1894. I know you guys need pics. You all will have to wait later this week for the one I just got though!

Here is my pretty 20 inch JM Cowboy Carbine. They sure aren't common either!

44195448974_af211040b6_c.jpg

29978956877_a3bc8a05fe_c.jpg[

Not to bust your bubble but the pictures you posted are of a short rifle not a carbine.

Carbine would have the forend attached with a  barrel band and have a lightweight round barrel.

and, not rare,,,, either one

8 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Not to bust your bubble but the pictures you posted are of a short rifle not a carbine.

Carbine would have the forend attached with a  barrel band and have a lightweight round barrel.

Not to bust your bubble but it's a carbine according to Marlin.

44915178281_aefa9df282_b.jpg

23 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Where are you guys getting the screws that replace the safety on the Marlins?

This used to be the go to guy.

Clyde Ludwig
PO Box 26156
Wauwatosa, WI
53226-0156

1 hour ago, Stopsign32v said:

Not to bust your bubble but it's a carbine according to Marlin.

44915178281_aefa9df282_b.jpg

no,,, now it's listed a a CB or cowboy   

Funny...folks don't know what a Carbine is...can't tell the difference between that and a short rifle.

Oh, but Marlin marketing folks call it a "Carbine"...so it must be so.

:lol:

And Rare????

Ooooookay...

Phantom

(SASS member 54973 and proud to support the organization)

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh, but Marlin marketing folks call it a "Carbine"...so it must be so.

Yes....Yes that is how reading works. :lol:

And no, the Cowboy Carbine isn't the rare Marlin. ;) I got tracking number for it today. Should be here Friday!

2 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

Yes....Yes that is how reading works. :lol:

And no, the Cowboy Carbine isn't the rare Marlin. ;) I got tracking number for it today. Should be here Friday!

It's still not a carbine...so...

And what is this "Rare" marlin that you are getting?

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's still not a carbine...so...

Phantom

Correct, it is a "Cowboy Carbine". There was a limited number of them made for and sold by Davidsons.

1000 in 45

1000 in 41 mag

325 in 44-40

501 in 32-20

Do your homework! :lol:

5 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

Correct, it is a "Cowboy Carbine". There was a limited number of them made for and sold by Davidsons.

1000 in 45

1000 in 41 mag

325 in 44-40

501 in 32-20

Do your homework! :lol:

I didn't ask about limited run Distributor exclusives. I asked what Marlin you were getting.

And since you want to be aggressive, JOIN SASS!!!

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

You'll have to wait

Are you referring to joining SASS or what silly Marlin you are getting.

You do understand, it's still just a Marlin...right?

Phantom

On 5/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, Assassin said:

I have a Marlin. It's rare for me to shoot it. Although, it works really well.

But hey, don't tell us what it is...gotta keep that a big mystery!

See ya Saturday - driving the extra miles for a better match!!!!

Howdy

In the 19th Century, with Winchesters, the designation of rifle or carbine was not determined by barrel length. Rifles had a crescent shaped butt plate and the magazine was slung under the barrel by a hanger dovetailed into the barrel. Carbines had a more gentle butt plate shape, and the magazine was held by a couple of barrel bands. Rifle barrels could be very short.

1892rifleandcarbine01_zpsde0960f1.jpg

Also, Carbine barrels had much more taper to them than rifle barrels. Both of these are chambered for 44-40. Look how much thicker the barrel wall of the rifle at the left is than the carbine at the right. Much more taper to the carbine barrel.

muzzlesrifleandsaddleringcarbine_zps9f08

Looking through my copy of Marlin Firearms by William Brophy, Marlin seemed to go by the same standards. At least they did a long time ago.

The Model 1894 Rifle at the top of this photo left the factory in 1895. Although the photo is not focused all that well, the magazine is supported by a dovetailed hanger, and the butt plate is crescent shaped.

Below it is a little 1894CS Carbine. Note the barrel bands and the flat butt stock shape. No idea when it was made, I suspect sometime in the 1980s.

1894_1894CS_02.jpg

Nothing on the barrel markings of the carbine to say whether or not it is a carbine,  but the barrel bands tell me it is.

Carbine%20Barrel%20Legend%2001_zpsxbioih

No idea how Marlin is marking their barrels today.

I've got a couple of the .32 H&R mag Marlin 1894's.

Supposedly only about 600 were made.

Wouldn't let em go for a good 3-legged Buffalo nickel.

..........Widder

I also have a copy of Brophy's "big book of Marlins", as I call it.  There are many examples of rare Marlins.  I have several that are not so common.   A couple are "94" models, not 1894.  Marlin introduced the 1894 in 1894 but in 1903 they dropped the 18 to make it a 94.  (Winchester had already changed their 1892 and 1894 to just 92 and 94.) 

Sometime about 1907 they dropped the "94" from their catalog but continued making them on special order out of parts.  All kinds of variations resulted from mixing parts. At the outbreak of WWI, Marlin converted to making military arms. So not a lot of "94s" were made.  I have a "94" rifle in 32WCF that looks totally factory but has a buttstock about 1" longer than standard with a shotgun style buttplate.  The lever loop is unusual also.  I figure it was a custom order rifle. 

Marlin made 1892s and 1894s all kinds of variations.   They made a "bicycle rifle" that was a takedown with a light 12 or 14" barrel.  Came with a canvas bag made to tie on a bicycle frame. They made rifles with threaded muzzle to take silencers.  Muskets with full stocks and bayonet lug.

So anything is possible. 

8 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've got a couple of the .32 H&R mag Marlin 1894's.

Supposedly only about 600 were made.

Wouldn't let em go for a good 3-legged Buffalo nickel.

..........Widder

I've got one of them...somewhere...but, it's still a Marlin:P

Yes, there are some real nice collectible Marlins, but nothing to really write home about if they were made within the last 50 years. 

But...I guess they're special to some folks.

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Cynic that I am, when a SASS wire “guest” (as opposed to a member) comes out of nowhere and writes a post that reads like a “coming soon” ad, I make a face like :huh:

Look at as this guy’s previous posts.  They’re about buying and selling.  

My apologies mate. I'll keep it to myself. :)

Sorry for intruding guys

On 5/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But hey, don't tell us what it is...gotta keep that a big mystery!

See ya Saturday - driving the extra miles for a better match!!!!

So now that the cat’s out of the bag does everybody call him that?:P

You call me Ass twice when you say Assassin. Much easier to spell than Louisiana Lightnin' isn't it.

I do have a rare Marlin, one that works flawlessly.

Yule, only my friends can call me ass.

Ass

And here I always thought a "carbine" was always about barrel length and not configuration.

A carbine (/ˈkɑːrbn/ or /ˈkɑːrbn/),[1] from French carabine,[2] is a long gun firearm but with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket.[3]Many carbines are shortened versions of full-length rifles, shooting the same ammunition, while others fire lower-powered ammunition, including types designed for pistols

Archived