SASS Wire Forum

Gratitude, and the expression thereof

Alpo

Leave us say that you saved someone's life.

They were not paying attention, and stepped out in front of traffic, and you snatched them by the collar and dragged them back up on the sidewalk. You were walking in the woods, and a wild pig charged them, and you did a quick draw and shot the pig four, five times and it died in front of their feet. You sucked the poison out of their snake bite.

How you saved their life is irrelevant. You did it.

Should they tell you thank you? Not "should they feel gratitude?". Should they express the gratitude they feel by telling you thank you? And if they do not tell you thank you, do you get pissed?

Even if you are sure they are grateful, since they did not express the gratitude verbally, do you get pissed?

I can honestly say that I have saved people's lives, or at least kept some of them from being maimed or badly injured.

Most have said "Thank You". A couple have said nothing. I didn't expect anything from any of them.

People have saved my life and I have definitely thanked them.

Either way, I would never expect to receive more than a Thank You, but it is nice if they acknowledge what you did for them.

14 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

, I still get a 'thank-you' card every year. 

Now, that's cool.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They named him Clarence?

My older brother's name is Clarence. A group of us were watching that particular episode of Leave it to Beaver one day, when he walked in. Everyone yelled "LUMPY!" His reaction was to shake his head and say "So you finally saw it, huh?"

Of course, if we'd only had a brother named Victor, we'd have had the flight crew from the movie Airplane!

We live in a day and age where people rarely thank you for holding the door open for them. I doubt saving their life would change things much. That said, you don't do favors for people expecting recognition in return. You do it because it's the right thing to do.

Not a "life-saving" incident, but this thread brings to mind a couple of people I know.  Bob and Roy.

About 15-20 years ago, Bob and Roy were both gardeners.  I knew both well, but they did not know one another at all.

I dropped by to visit Bob one afternoon and he told me about "something odd that happened."  It seems he was driving home after a long workday, and spotted another gardener broken down alongside the road.  As it turned out, this happened to be "some guy named Roy." Roy had a flat tire on his work trailer, but did not have a jack nor lug wrench that would fit the trailer.

Being the kind of guy he is, Bob stopped to see if he could help.  Bob had a jack and wrench, and changed Roy's tire for him.

"And ya know what?"  Bob asked me.  "I'll be darned if that 'Roy' guy didn't just get in his truck and drive off... not so much as a 'thank yew' or offer of a bottle of water or to help me put my tools away or anything."

So a few days later, I ran into Roy.

After a few minutes of conversation, Roy said "Hey!  Darndest thing!  I was driving home last week and had a flat tire on my trailer.  Wouldn't you know it... I'd forgotten my jack and lug wrench!  So guess what?"

Uh.... What, Roy?

"GOD sent some guy to change my tire for me!  Thank you, God!"

True story.  

This reminds me of a day a guy saved my life at an intersection on the corner of Aviation and El Segundo blvds in Hawthrone CA in 1986.

There were 3 lanes of traffic. I had split lanes to get to the front of the line between the left two lanes. There was a biker on a Harley (real Biker) that had split the other two.

We were sitting at the light. The light went green. I started to take off like a shot (like I always do when splitting lanes at a  red light) and the Biker yells "STOP".

I jammed the front brake and a late 70's red Camaro doing about 80 flew past within a couple of inches of the front tire of my bike.

I looked over at this biker and yelled "Thank You". He nodded and then we proceeded ahead. 

My whole body was tingling from adrenaline for hours after that.

About a month later I was out with biker friends on our Harleys. We were at a bar in Malibu. I saw the guy that saved my life. I went over, shook his hand, thanked him and then went to the waitress and paid his tab and then some. The guy kept looking at me and he finally comes over and says "You were the guy on the yellow Yamaha." I told him I was. He said, "Awe Man, it's no big deal. (It was / is to me) You don't need to buy me anything. Just make sure you do the same for someone else someday"

I have, many times. I never saw that guy again. He saved my life. I still owe him.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have had it given to me in many ways.

One, I still get a 'thank-you' card every year.

Another named their then unborn child with my first name.

NO-They don't call him Lumpy-:lol:

OLG

So if the baby was a girl her name is Lumpy? Original Lumpy Girl!!!:P

28 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

So if the baby was a girl her name is Lumpy? Original Lumpy Girl!!!:P

"Lumpy" is an adjective. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't name girls adjectives...:D

Archived