SASS Wire Forum

Flat Iron Mike

flat iron mike

A "what if" question arose last weekend's monthly club shoot.

During the stage the shooter was moving quickly from one  location to another (15'-20') to engage shotgun targets. The shotgun was not in hand.  He tripped, reason unknown by me, and fell but got up quickly and completed the stage without further incident.

My question is, if either one of the pistols dislodged from their holsters (they were empty) and hit the ground, would it be a SDQ?

Aside from the embarrassment & little bumps & bruises that come when you trip, I hope yer OK!
Joe's woods are nice & padded, but still........

--Dawg

45 minutes ago, flat iron mike said:

A "what if" question arose last weekend's monthly club shoot.

During the stage the shooter was moving quickly from one  location to another (15'-20') to engage shotgun targets. The shotgun was not in hand.  He tripped, reason unknown by me, and fell but got up quickly and completed the stage without further incident.

My question is, if either one of the pistols dislodged from their holsters (they were empty) and hit the ground, would it be a SDQ?

As Stirrup said, yes if they came out of the holsters it would be a SDQ.

I kinda figured that's the call.

But, It 'd sure sounds heartless.

Penalties are earned!

I took a spill at an annual event. Loaded pistol came out of the holster, earned a MDQ. Could have gone home, didn't. Stayed with my posse and ran the timer for the rest of that day and the next. Still had a great time.

39 minutes ago, flat iron mike said:

I kinda figured that's the call.

But, It 'd sure sounds heartless.

Hi Mike,

I think your post indicates empathy!

However, unless multiple shooters fell or the shooter that fell had a handicap that caused the fall, I think the shooter that fell should have regulated his speed to ensure he could safely maneuver through the stage.

Regards,

Allie

Hi Flat Iron!

I remember way back when, a shooter was shuffling along the firing line, moving to another position, his holsters got to flapping around and out came his loaded pistol.

MDQ!

Just the breaks.

I have also seen a fellow moving to another position with Shotgun in hands slip and fall. He kept the shotgun muzzle pointed down range, never lost the gun. No Call. If I remember correctly, he got up and kept shooting.

At one of my first annuals, maybe year two of shooting, I slipped on wet grass (or maybe weeds, LOL!) and fell while carrying my SG. I managed to keep it upright. I got up and finished the stage. Another shooter on our posse, ran down range and had her loaded pistol fall out of her (new, never used before) holster.  The MD gave her a "no call." 

The two aren't really related, they just happened at the same match. I guess this could go in the "life isn't fair" file. :(

Karma got the last call, the shooter in question was beat by a new shooter at her first annual. :)

Archived