SASS Wire Forum

Dropping shotshells on the prop

I have never done this, but after watching a video of myself shooting, an idea occurred to me.   One that I have no idea if it is legal under the rules or not.

As often as not, I carry my shotshells in an open pouch on my belt.

On a particular stage, the shotgun is fired while you are standing behind a bar. [or a table, windowsill or whatever] 

Question:  Would it be legal when the time comes to shoot the shotgun to reach into my pouch, grab not  one or two, but a handful of shotshells, place them on the prop, and then grab them one at a time as needed from where they have just been placed?    Placement takes place ON THE CLOCK, not before the shooting string starts.

Shells would have been properly carried to the firing line (loose in a pouch).

Once clock is running, shooter can stage ammunition if they do it safely (don't lose control of muzzles of firearms).

So, yep, as has been discussed here several times over the years, this would be legal.   It's up to you to practice it enough to figure it out when it would make for shorter stage times for you.

BTW - grab two at a time to save some time.  The ones that are laying on table such that their bases are nicely aligned to grab ready to load.

Good luck, GJ

22 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have never done this, but after watching a video of myself shooting, an idea occurred to me.   One that I have no idea if it is legal under the rules or not.

On a particular stage, the shotgun is fired while you are standing behind a bar. [or a table, windowsill or whatever] 

Question:  Would it be legal when the time comes to shoot the shotgun to reach into my pouch, grab not  one or two, but a handful of shotshells, place them on the prop, and then grab them one at a time as needed from where they have just been placed?    Placement takes place ON THE CLOCK, not before the shooting string starts.

Yes.

38 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yes...but why would you want to do that?

Phantom

24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes...but why would you want to do that?

Phantom

As I was watching myself shoot, I noticed that it took me a while to reach into the pouch and grab a shell.   It occurred to me that if I grabbed handful and placed them on a table that I could reach for subsequent shells more quickly.

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

As I was watching myself shoot, I noticed that it took me a while to reach into the pouch and grab a shell.   It occurred to me that if I grabbed handful and placed them on a table that I could reach for subsequent shells more quickly.

You see, I'm a bit confused. If you are concerned about time, why wouldn't you get a SG Belt/Bandolier/Slide?

Phantom

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Remember that the pouch must have a flap.

I use an 8 shell slide - on stages when there are more shotgun targets than normal, I always start to sweat that, if I miss a couple - I could run out of shells. 

I see folks with belts that carry dang near a whole box of shells and sooner or later - I'll probably buy one eventually - for now, I wear a vest and keep extra rounds in the pockets for those days when my eyes and SxS are not working in sync (or those days when I accidentally jack a round out of my rifle).  

Ammo in my vest saved me not long ago - 6 target shotgun stage and right off the bat I knocked two of my shells out of the slide while drawing my pistol.   Then, I missed my second target.  If hadn't had extra shells in my vest pockets that day, I'd have been hosed. 

I keep a extra 2 shell shotgun clipon in my cart to add a couple more on stages that have 8 shotgun, just in case I need them. It's quicker for me to pull them from a shell holder than getting them off a table. However, it is ok to stage ammo on the clock.

37 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The all brass shells I use seem to fit too snugly in the belt loops.   AA's slide out just fine, but it's a battle with the all brass, which is why I carry them in a pouch.  And yes, it has a flap.  :)

Are they a different diameter? If you get a belt with elastic bands, you pretty much twist them out. I'd contact Doc Noper. He'll fix you up just fine.

Phantom

I shoot All Brass Shot Shells my own self.  Carry em in a nice Shot Shell bet with double pouches.  Sometimes have to wiggle em out.  Since I'm older and slower, the extrey second or two doesn't really matter atall.   :D

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Are they a different diameter? If you get a belt with elastic bands, you pretty much twist them out. I'd contact Doc Noper. He'll fix you up just fine.

Phantom

Elastic loops are great on a Tupelo Bando.

The leather loops will stretch in time and if you work the shells back and forth and sideways while in the belt that loosens 'em up also. It can't be any slower than reaching in a pouch or taking the time to put them on a table.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:10 AM, Snakebite said:

I keep a extra 2 shell shotgun clipon in my cart to add a couple more on stages that have 8 shotgun, just in case I need them. It's quicker for me to pull them from a shell holder than getting them off a table. However, it is ok to stage ammo on the clock.

I don't follow you on this.  Do you put the clipon on your belt before going to line?

+ not sure what one looks like--possible to post pics?

thanks

I do have a nice leather shotgun belt, with leather loops.   It works great with AA's, but the all brass shells are a bit more snug for some reason, and it's more of a chore to pull them than the plastic ones.   Maybe if it was one of those kinds that fits 2 shells per loop instead of 1 it would work better.  

Nice to see some generated discussion on what I thought was a rather limited question.  :)

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh come on...

Just hadn't heard from you...no enlightened thoughts on how you might be able to carry your brass SG hulls since it's been addressed?

You see, I'm the kind of guy that like to think that discussions have a purpose. Sometimes I think that folks just like to start a discussion for it's own sake.

Anyway, place your rounds on the prop - all legal...have fun!

Phantom

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I do have a nice leather shotgun belt, with leather loops.   It works great with AA's, but the all brass shells are a bit more snug for some reason, and it's more of a chore to pull them than the plastic ones.   Maybe if it was one of those kinds that fits 2 shells per loop instead of 1 it would work better.  

Nice to see some generated discussion on what I thought was a rather limited question.  :)

What would happen if you wrapped your brass shells in wax paper (to prevent verdigris on the shells) and then oiled your gun belt. Stick the wax papered brass shells in and let set for a weekend? Might give you just enough stretch to let the brass ones slide in and out easily but not too much that the AAs will slide out on their own...

I'm surprised no one has addressed this.  The brass shells are not as smooth or slick as plastic.  That's why they don't slide out of leather loops as easily.  Polish the brass and wax.

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I'm surprised no one has addressed this.  The brass shells are not as smooth or slick as plastic.  That's why they don't slide out of leather loops as easily.  Polish the brass and wax.

Turtle or Mequiars? :D

9 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

You mean, ANOTHER step in loading these things?!  AAHHH!!!    I must hide.   No, not more effort!!!  

Lube.  Deprime and resize.  Tumble to clean.  Prime.   Powder.  Wad column. Shot.  Overshot card.  Slight crimp.

Then after all that wash and wax?  Eep and yikes! 

Then again, you don't use all brass cuz it's easier.   You do it for the cool factor.  I guess this wouldn't be that much more work.   But I like the idea of wax paper and oil to stretch.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

Take some regular shotshells or a brass ones and wrap painter's tape around them to make them slightly bigger. Then wet the leather belt loops down and put them in. You probably only want one or maybe two warps of tape and when it dries they'll fit.  

I'm thinkin' your stuck right now...…..worrying about time and pulling shells from a pouch or single loading them is counterproductive...….it's like two bacon double cheeseburgers and a diet coke. 

I don't use brass, but I do wipe my reloaded shotgun shells down with silicone after loading them. Cleans em and makes em slick.

And diet Coke DOES offset cheeseburgers. Everyone knows that! Er. :D

Just now, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I don't use brass, but I do wipe my reloaded shotgun shells down with silicone after loading them. Cleans em and makes em slick.

And diet Coke DOES offset cheeseburgers. Everyone knows that! Er. :D

Yeah but then you get that silicone stuff in your chambers and it attracts dirt.  Yuck.  Plus when I pick your shells up I get nasty stuff on my hands. 

I spray it on a rag and wipe the plastic part of the shell down. Don't seem to notice any residue. Hands can get a little slick though, especially when wiping them all down. I clean guns after shooting so, no big.

Sure that "nasty stuff" is from my shells? ;)

15 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Try some of this PTFE stuff for leather in the loops. It may do the trick without making them too loose for AA's. One bottle will last you and your friends a lifetime or two!

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=ptfe&userItemsPerPage=48

7 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I spray it on a rag and wipe the plastic part of the shell down. Don't seem to notice any residue. Hands can get a little slick though, especially when wiping them all down. I clean guns after shooting so, no big.

Sure that "nasty stuff" is from my shells? ;)

LOL, who knows.  I have noticed that some shooters put enough stuff on their shells that my hands come away slippery.  I run em dry myself.

Don't know if would help with brass, but I wipe down all my plastic shells with Armour-All after loading to clean and make a little slick. Not sticky to the touch afterwards.

Archived