SASS Wire Forum

New US Army Dress Uniform

I guess I'm behind the times but this is the first time I've seen the U.S. Army's new dress uniform announced on 11 NOV 18 (see link below).

I'm not sure I get this one?  Certainly a rollback to the Army's World War II dress uniform.  Back to floppy service hats and the "fore & aft" garrison caps as well.

https://www.army.mil/article/213650/us_army_to_roll_out_new_army_greens_uniform

image.thumb.png.980a7a63c3c4eda43ea6a08d13d15d50.png

image.thumb.png.381b0d2e9576e60cdb4c03bc11df5f6f.png

I think the uniform problem was solved by the end of WW II.  I am not sure why they had to change after that uniform, unless it was change for change's sake.

In other words, I like the new/old uniform.  I do not like the new saucer hat!  I always did like the garrison cap.  I presume that our dress blues and mess dress will remain the same as now.

Duffield

Those hats look ridiculous...and this is coming from a Sailor.

Reminds me of something some third world dictator would wear, or make his troops wear. 

I read about it, after wwii, all the vets and buyers from army surplus stores were wearing something that looked Army. It was felt that it was important to look different. A new uniform was designed. Dog chases tail, it continues.   Those hats look too Russian , the bigger the hat the higher the rank, the less the value.

That maternity smock is an eye catcher.

The "Beefeaters" or Yeoman Warders guard the Tower of London, while the fellows with the big bear fur hats, (called a Busby) guard Buckingham Palace in London.

yeoman-warders Beefeaters.jpg

From all the comments I’ve read from active duty folks. The service cap is universally hated. They attempted, and failed, to do the 50 mission crush look. I suspect they will modify it before things are finalized. The garrison cap is well liked and will replace the unpopular beret.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Those hats look too Russian

If the Russian and Wermacht service hats got married and had a hat....

To me they look like a cross between the American WWII service hat and something from around 1846, or maybe a Napoleonic era european milita unit.  The front is way too tall.

If they are going to have that tall peak, at least put some cords on it.

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If the Russian and Wermacht service hats got married and had a hat....

To me they look like a cross between the American WWII service hat and something from around 1846, or maybe a Napoleonic era european milita unit.  The front is way too tall.

If they are going to have that tall peak, at least put some cords on it.

And horsehair .....or feathers. :D

I have seen quite a few Ike Jacket requests. Don't know if that's under consideration. (they don't look good on fat guys)

I fear these garrison caps are not going to be any better than the old Green cap, which was pretty bad. I would prefer a garrison cap that was more like the WWII one.

Bandofbrothers1.jpg

Bandofbrothers2.jpg

To me there was nothing as useless and uncomfortable as the saucer hat. But then again I’m not a real fan of any hat for routine wear. I see no reason to wear a hat just to wear a hat 

31 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

To me there was nothing as useless and uncomfortable as the saucer hat. But then again I’m not a real fan of any hat for routine wear. I see no reason to wear a hat just to wear a hat 

True it's a prtty uncomfortable cap. Used in 1840s in the Mexican war. then replaced by the kepi in 1851.

The Russians and North Koreans have taken it to new heights of ridiculousness. :)

1846-mexican-war-uniforms.jpg

NorthKorean.jpg

Russian.jpg

13 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I think the uniform problem was solved by the end of WW II.  I am not sure why they had to change after that uniform, unless it was change for change's sake.

In other words, I like the new/old uniform.  I do not like the new saucer hat!  I always did like the garrison cap.  I presume that our dress blues and mess dress will remain the same as now.

Duffield

I agree.  I was dismayed by a lot of changes in the Army and Navy uniforms when they started looking like refugees from parochial schools.  Glad there is some "tip of the hat" (get that reference?) to the older, more traditional uniforms.

BTW, what is with the Army's new "seal"?  I know the old one is still official, but mostly I see that stupid black slat with a CS YELLOW star in the middle.  It doesn't seem to signify any thing and it's so simple it just shouts "STUPID!"

I got out of basic in 63, Air Force, bought a Ike jacket, loved it.

Six months later they were fazed out.......

Even though I'm U.S. Army, I've always liked the U.S. Marine Corps dress uniforms....both the greens and the blues.  And they've not changed them, to my recollection, since I joined the Army in 1966.  Why can't the Army figure out a dress uniform and stick with it?????

And to me, the new service hat looks like something the Nazis wore.  Yes, I know the Army Air Corps wore the "floppy" service hats so headsets would work.  But still, today....a floppy????:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my father-in-law's (Staff Sergeant James Bullock) wearing his service hat and his garrison cap on the table.  May he rest in peace...in WWII Europe, he earned it!!

2MvMZN.jpg

23 minutes ago, Carlos Murphy # 873 said:

The "floppy" hats pilots wore in WW2, "50 mission crush"

According to my father-in-law, "50 Mission Crush" is not what he called it. ;)

And, although the Army Air Corps called it the "50 Mission Crush," pilots (especially bomber pilots) wore it floppy, with fewer than fifty missions, so they could fit their headset over the hat.  Airmen may call it a "50 mission crush," but to any self respecting dog face, it's a "floppy.":P

Out of curiosity, how many years does a hash mark represent in the U.S military?  I was looking at the SGM in the second photo of Birdgun Quail's post. I remember on a M*A*S*H episode, Col Potter said that he had hash marks down to the ground.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Out of curiosity, how many years does a hash mark represent in the U.S military?  I was looking at the SGM in the second photo of Birdgun Quail's post. I remember on a M*A*S*H episode, Col Potter said that he had hash marks down to the ground.

Just FYI, Officers do not get hash marks. Only enlisted personnel.

44 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Now here's an Army hat!!!!

image.thumb.png.bdbb1dc2630415077ba915019e67b2c8.png

Grampa!!

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Even though I'm U.S. Army, I've always liked the U.S. Marine Corps dress uniforms....both the greens and the blues.  And they've not changed them, to my recollection, since I joined the Army in 1966.  Why can't the Army figure out a dress uniform and stick with it?????

And to me, the new service hat looks like something the Nazis wore.  Yes, I know the Army Air Corps wore the "floppy" service hats so headsets would work.  But still, today....a floppy????:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my father-in-law's (Staff Sergeant James Bullock) wearing his service hat and his garrison cap on the table.  May he rest in peace...in WWII Europe, he earned it!!

2MvMZN.jpg

The army has changed uniforms just about every decade since the Revolution. Sometimes it was practical, but often just keeping up with the military fashion of the times. Note the Zouave uniforms of many volunteer units of both sides in the Civil War. The Marines also changed until the turn of the century. In the 18th and 19th centuries only officers had formal dress uniforms. The grunts had one service uniform to be worn for both field and dress. Woodrow Wilson authorized one full uniform including helmet could be kept by returning WWI vets in remembrance and thanks for their service. The standing collar jacket and jodhpurs were replaced in the 30s.

The Ike jacket was just a shortened Class A coat. Ike liked the look of the British Battle Jacket and had one of the US coats cut down and began wearing it. You can do that when you're the boss of bosses. ;). The Ike was intended to be a field coat initially, like the Brits', not a dress uniform. But by then the M1943 field jacket was much better suited for combat in Europe.

I have a few examples of the Marine greens in my collection. I think the horse blanket m (especially the old ones) is hideous. As far as cut and fit they were pretty much identical to the Army's.

Of course the Marine Dress Blues are obviously the sartorial cream of the military crop.

From Marlow White, one of the biggest uniform makers.

New Uniform updates

Why would the Army go back to a cap that was commonly called a vulgar word for female genitalia?   Just asking for an increase in harassment claims.  STUPID!!

Says J.D. US Army 4/1/69 - 12/7/1971.

J.D., you old f@rt, it's been a generation since the Army had the garrison cap.  Safe now.

Of course, the Army did have female service members when I retired in 1989.  Seems by then most of us had finally learned it was called a "garrison cap."  I made sure my people called it a "garrison cap."

Archived