SASS Wire Forum

Dimpled .44-40 cases

Looks like an attempt to drill and tap (for scope mount or receiver sight) went slightly too far!   That's sad.

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Looks like an attempt to drill and tap (for scope mount) went slightly too far!   That's sad.

I think we have a winner.

I have had similar marks closer to the top of the brass. Made by lead being shaved off the bullet when seating. Agree with Grass Range, something in the chamber when it was fired.

I have had similar marks closer to the top of the brass. Made by lead being shaved off the bullet when seating. Agree with Grass Range, something in the chamber when it was fired.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I think we have a winner.

Scope mount screws in the chamber? Seriously? Never seen scope mount screws anywhere but on the receiver!!! But then again, I have lived a sheltered life!!

If you drill right through the receiver "ring" surrounding the barrel chamber, where do you think the drill bit goes?   ;)

23 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Wouldn't it be prudent to unload the rifle before drilling and tapping?

Every time the rifle is fired the hole in the receiver will be impressed on the brass.

50 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

Scope mount screws in the chamber? Seriously? Never seen scope mount screws anywhere but on the receiver!!! But then again, I have lived a sheltered life!!

If the scope mount installer drilled to deeply, that’s what GJ is getting at, they could have drilled into the chamber.

One reason a mil surp barrel can be a bugger to get off is: Bubba drilled right through the receiver and into the barrel, then said "Oops" and put a long set screw in to fill the mistake.  Locking receiver onto the barrel!

11 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

If the scope mount installer drilled to deeply, that’s what GJ is getting at, they could have drilled into the chamber.

That's what I'm thinking. The "dimple" is really an embossing right at the shoulder of the case. I picked up 5 of them, but didn't notice until sorting brass for cleaning.

Just for grins, I ran them thru the sizer. No go. What a waste of what appears to be new Starline brass, not to mention damaging a gun. I wonder if the owner is even aware.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

If it's a Marlin, the front screw would be drilled into the barrel, rather than the the top of the receiver.  Educate me!!!

Dscf3318[1].jpg

It had to have been a SASS legal lever-action rifle of .44-40 pistol caliber because of where and when the brass was picked up - at Land Run just after the range went cold. Whether it was drilled for a scope is unknown, but it must have been drilled for something, otherwise the embossing makes no sense. At least not to me. As Yul said, this would have occurred when the cartridge was fired. Look closely at the photo that shows the circle is convex, so it couldn't have been formed by a protrusion like a screw.

If anyone has another explanation for the embossing, I'm all ears.

BTW, I posted this because I thought it an interesting puzzle and is something I've never seen before. Didn't intend to start any arguments.  :) 

1 hour ago, Savvy Jack said:

If it's a Marlin, the front screw would be drilled into the barrel, rather than the the top of the receiver.  Educate me!!!

Dscf3318[1].jpg

Who says it came out of a Marlin? Everyone’s guess is pure speculation until the rifle is found that produced it. So until then your guess is as good as mine or Garrison Joes or Grass Range or Ranger Dans. Thanks for posting Abilene Slim, it is interesting indeed.

In a quick examination of a Winchester Miruko 1873, a Navy Arms 1866 saddle ring carbine and a Pedersoli Lightning rifle, all in 44-40 it is entirely possible to mount a scope mount on the barrel behind the sight and should you drill to deep it’s likely there would be a hole in the chamber about where the mysterious markings in the OP are. Abilene Slim says he found five pieces of brass with the same markings. Maybe the hole, if there was one was drilled for something else, who knows?

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Every time the rifle is fired the hole in the receiver will be impressed on the brass.

Ahhh!  Didn't think of that.  Thanks, Yul.

I kinda wonder if someone was trying to mount  a Malcolm style scope on a lever gun. If you look at the indentation it is centered on the brass cases. Ejection would have been an issue with top ejecting rifles.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Who says it came out of a Marlin? Everyone’s guess is pure speculation until the rifle is found that produced it. So until then your guess is as good as mine or Garrison Joes or Grass Range or Ranger Dans. Thanks for posting Abilene Slim, it is interesting indeed.

If you would actually take the time to read what I posted...I didn't say it did....I said IF it was a Marlin!

But I did find some photos of Marlins...again.....IF...with rails screwed into the barrel.

Untitled.png

27 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

If you would actually take the time to read what I posted...I didn't say it did....I said IF it was a Marlin!

But I did find some photos of Marlins...again.....IF...with rails screwed into the barrel.

Untitled.png

I read your post that’s why I responded as I did. Until the rifle is found that fired the brass your guess is as good as mine as to what caused the dimpling.

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I read your post that’s why I responded as I did. Until the rifle is found that fired the brass your guess is as good as mine as to what caused the dimpling.

You said "Who says it came out of a Marlin?"
No one said it did!!!!  So put a cork in it!

Just now, Savvy Jack said:

You said "Who says it came out of a Marlin?"
No one said it did!!!!  So put a cork in it!

Until the rifle is found that fired the brass your guess is as good as mine as to what caused the dimpling. Put a cork in it!!!!!

This just gets weirder.  Note the vertical position of the embossing. WTH? (The middle case is the one I ran thru the sizer, hence the flat spot on the dome.)

The next pics were taken with my Uberti .44-40 Henry with a dummy cartridge in the chamber.

And just for grins, the last pic was taken with my Uberti .38/357  '73. (I've no idea if there's a difference between large and small cal Urberti '73 receivers, but thought I'd post anyway.)

Just thought I'd muddy the waters further...

L6tYC5e.jpg

dBZCSIO.jpg

rJatYmx.jpg

oYmlTr9.jpg

Very strange.

The fact the dimples are at different heights is pretty weird. Kinda blows the hole in chamber out of the water don't ya think. Maybe somebody did it on purpose just to prank us! "Wait til someone finds these" ha ha

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The fact the dimples are at different heights is pretty weird. Kinda blows the hole in chamber out of the water don't ya think. Maybe somebody did it on purpose just to prank us! "Wait til someone finds these" ha ha

If they’re pranking us they have to be pretty close to Abilene Slim, don’t ya think? They seem to be breeding dimples in his rifles now.

It'll be interesting to learn the real cause. Maybe he/she whom owns the rifle will be on here and let us know. Odd odd very odd.

Archived