SASS Wire Forum

Western Movie Stars?

I asked this question on another thread, but it deserves one of its own, and Im sure Im not the first to ask it, . However, my query was, can George Peppard be considered a western movie star? Or DeForrest Kelley or Leonard Nimoy??

56 minutes ago, Panhandle Paladin said:

I asked this question on another thread, but it deserves one of its own, and Im sure Im not the first to ask it, . However, my query was, can George Peppard be considered a western movie star? Or DeForrest Kelley or Leonard Nimoy??

George Peppard made 4 westerns and one quasi western called Cannon for Cordoba -1916.

The westerns were;

Bravos

One More Train to Rob

Rough Night in Jericho

How the West was Won

If one squints and holds their mouth right, you may be able to squeak in The Carpetbaggers.

Rough Night in Jericho was a good movie with Dean Martin playing the bad guy.

I would give Peppard a yes on being considered a western movie star.

Leonard Nimoy played an Indian in a Gunsmoke episode or maybe Wagon Train ???? DeForest Kelly played a bad guy in Gunfight at the OK Corral (Thanks Tex Jones)

I would classify both Nimoy and Kelley as actors who happened to play in westerns as opposed to "western movie stars." Since they were both synonymous with their science fiction movies, if pressed, I would classify them as "sic-fi stars."

The Duke played non-cowboy roles but is identified by his most memorable movies as a (THE?) cowboy star.  

DeForrest Kelly will always be Bones McCoy of Star Trek.  George Peppard will always be...forgettable.

Is Charles Bronson a cowboy star or better know for his action movies, I.e. Death-wish, etc.?

27 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Is Charles Bronson a cowboy star or better know for his action movies, I.e. Death-wish, etc.?

HMMMM, I don't know, maybe "bi-western"?

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I will forever associate him with his westerns, especially The Magnificent Seven, but you bring up a good point. I believe it is possible to be a western star and an action star, or sci-fi star. The thing is, in his case, unlike Nimoy and Kelley, he was famous for westerns and was considered one of the stars of the movies he was in, and was associated with those types of movies. Harrison Ford is an action star and sci-fi star, but since he is relatively unknown for his western forays, I have a hard time thinking of him as a "western star." I will admit to enjoying The Frisco Kid, and love his line "Reach for it... PLEASE!!!" Still, I don't think of him as a western star.

Something to point out about Deforest Kelly is he is the only actor to work in 3 versions of gunfight at OK corral. 1 as Morgan Earp, 2 as Bones in a Star Trek bit and 3 in an educational movie about it.  Add to this about 45 western tv shows and 2 movies I'd at least call him a cowboy actor. Nimoy was in a Bonanza movie and several tv westerns.

George Peppard play a character called "Space Cowboy" in the worse sci fi movie ever made. Battle Beyond the Stars. Plot stolen from Magnificent 7. Included Robert Vaughn playing his gunfighter character.  Best part of that was the costumes Sybil Danning almost had on.    

Keep in mind that Charles Bronson was one of the stars in Once Upon A Time In The West, (one of my favorite movies). He was also a central character in The Meanest Men In The West, a takeoff on the Virginian TV series. He also appeared in several other western movies and TV shows.

I won't say George Peppard is forgettable. He sort of reminds me of that guy that played opposite Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. :P

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

I won't say George Peppard is forgettable. He sort of reminds me of that guy that played opposite Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. :P

He was the original leader of the A Team!  

and Bad Night in Jericho WAS a purty good movie

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah, I forgot.  ;)

I think that the overall percentage of an actor’s work would have to be in the 50 percentile range to be considered a “western movie” star. 

7 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I thought it was that other guy with all the jewelry who kept saying “I pity the fool!” He seemed more of a bad a** than the frat boy sporting a cigar and black gloves.  :D

We ain’t supposed to differentiate between men and wimmen anymore and they’re all actors no actresses so the question is what actress would you call a Western Star? They appeared in a lot fewer movies.

Just now, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But we still do. Do you really want the NEXT discussion to be "Gilligan, or The Professor"?

Yep, that’s why I referenced actress in my question.

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I thought it was that other guy with all the jewelry who kept saying “I pity the fool!” He seemed more of a bad a** than the frat boy sporting a cigar and black gloves.  :D

NAH!!  B.A. was such a pansy that they had to sedate him to get him on a plane!!  :lol::lol:

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Barbara Stanwyck

She’s the one that stands out for me too. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Katherine Ross, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", Dana Delany, "Tombstone".  Both hotter than either Ginger or Mary Ann.

Katherine Ross also played opposite Sam Elliott, her real life husband in "Conger," based on the Louis L'Amour novel.

Nobody going to mention Maureen O'Hara???

Oh wait, I just did.

9 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Oh , yeah , Maureen O'Hara. 

And three ladies that were in a lot of westerns in character roles ; Jeanette Nolan , Virginia Gregg , and the great Olive Carey. 

Which made me remember one of my favorites, Michele Carey! My favorite part of El Dorado

tumblr_ogkqtnHiEw1usvc2io3_500.jpg.46138d158736af9d3e72f038e493eae1.jpg

Rhonda Fleming, she was in 9 western movies and guest appeared in 4 western TV series.

MOVIES::                                                               TV SERIES:

Alias Jesse James                                               Kung Fu

Bull whip                                                               Virginian

Gun Glory                                                              Wagon Train

Gunfight at OK Corral                                       Death Valley Days

Pony Express

Last Outpost

Red Head and the Cowboy

Abilene Town

In Old Oklahoma.

Archived