SASS Wire Forum

Wads for APP loaded shotshells

LostVaquero

So I am curious as to what kind of wads for those that use APP in their shotshells.  I am guessing the plastic ones sort of melt but seem easier to load then the fiber ones.

Is fiber ones the only way to go or is there a somewhatish easy way to clean the plastic out of the shotgun?

Put a cork in the muzzle end and fill with hot water. Let soak while cleaning other guns. Dump water out and push out the fowling with either a 12 ga squeegee or jag and a patch. 

I load is 35 grains by weight of 3f APP with a CB0175-12 wad in Federal Top Gun or Remington Gun Club hulls. 

For 2f APP I use 40 grains by weight and a WAA12SL wad. 

Both have about 7/8th ounces of shot. Don’t have exact weight as I have an adjustable charge bar and set it so that I get the right stack height for a good crimp. 

Well .... I dunno.  I shoot All Brass hulls with APP and a 10Ga plastic wad.  I do cut the petals down for a 1 oz payload.  Sometimes I get a snake skin in the bore, sometimes I don't.  Normally I just squirt the bore with PAM, count 10 and shove a patch or wad of paper towel thru and done.  Plastic Snake Skin comes right out.  Dry Patch and Oily Patch and Done 

Plastic Wad residue is not hard to clean (I do as CC does).   But better done outdoors (even at the range) than say in the wife's bathtub.  :o

Good luck, GJ

Another vote for plastic wads.  I spray the bores with dollar store glass cleaner, wait a couple minutes and shove the snake skin out with a paper napkin.  Any snake skin left gets a second treatment.  When I show the snake skin to smokeless shooters they grimace and swear to never shoot smoky powders.

Thats all I shoot is Plastic wads and APP.

I give each barrel a shot of Ballistol and push a sheet of paper towel down each barrel one time .

And All the plastic is gone !

Then clean action with hot water and  another shot of Ballistol and push down another shoot of paper towel and done .

Whole shotgun cleaning only takes about 5 min

Been using the red Claybusters wads for 8-10 years with Goex Pinnacle (same as APP) without incident.  Our "magic" solution is windshield washer fluid, but water works just as well.  I just spray it down the barrel until everything is wet, set it aside while I wipe the rest down, then push a wet patch down the barrel and everything usually just pushes out.  On a particularly heavy day, it may require a second round.

It is interesting how the weather, mix of temp and humidity, will affect the amount of residue in the barrel.  Somedays it will look like it was barely fired, other days like it has been filled with dirt.

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

It is interesting how the weather, mix of temp and humidity, will affect the amount of residue in the barrel.  Somedays it will look like it was barely fired, other days like it has been filled with dirt. 

+100

Archived