SASS Wire Forum

Curtain Rods In Cinder Block Walls - Alternative

Calamity Kris

All of the windows in this house are unframed, as you see in the picture below, modeled by my lovely Zoe.  The walls consist of sheetrock covering cinder block.  I would like to hang curtain rods and valances to brighten up the rooms.  Is there a way to hang the rods without drilling into the cinder block?  I tried some Command hook and loop on the curtain rods but it wasn't strong enough to hold them to the wall.  I have also tried the screws that came with the rods.  That's how I discovered the cinder block.

Would something like hot glue work?  Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks!!

getPart-1.thumb.jpg.3f34c0b8ba98d76b910422168e9eb3b4.jpg

Hot glue is not going to support the curtain rod/blinds, Kris.  You would be gluing to the paint, not the cinder block.  You would effectively only have the holding power of the paint to the block, which isn't much as paint often just chips right off.  You'll either have to frame inside of the cinder block with wood, or drill and use the plastic screw backers in the block.

Or, you could just have the cat hold them up.

MH

I agree with Sedalia Dave. 

3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952 (Multiple Sizes)

This stuff really works. You can select your width and length. You could suspend your blinds easily with this. As long as you have a good paint base/

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Mounting-Multiple-Sizes/dp/B01EOEW25S

Steer clear of the 3M foam double sided tape. It doesn’t last.

Your local hardware store { Ace, Tru Value, etc} will be able to help you out with the appropriate size masonry bit and tamp in inserts to properly mount the curtain rods. Your might spend $15-$25 at the most for the materials you'll need to do several windows. Its not so difficult and If you have a drill and tape measure you ought to be good to go! Most any other way to attempt hanging  curtain rods is folly IMO ;)  

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You could suspend your blinds easily with this. As long as you have a good paint base/

She said it is sheet rock over cinderblock.  She would be relying on the strenth of the paper to hold the rods and the blinds.  Doesn't sound like a match made in heaven to me.

8 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Its not so difficult and If you have a drill and tape measure you ought to be good to go! Most any other way to attempt hanging  curtain rods is folly IMO

And a good level.  Or a level/crosshair app on your phone.

I have a couple of levels so I've got that part covered. 

There are ~14 windows in the house we will be adding valances to.  Me with a hammer drill X 14 windows sounds like a match made in hell, which is why I was looking for an alternative.  Since it sounds like the drill is the only choice, I will have to take it really slowly.  My shoulder will not hold out for more than a couple at a time.

Thanks,

it's amazing how quickly a job can be finished doing just a few at a time.  

secret is to force yourself to see it through.  I've done several jobs around the house that have taken a number of days/weeks and as long as I had a schedule and kept to it I got them done.

good looking cat--but then more cats are

I just was looking at some blinds at Home Depot today and saw some that have double sided tape. The package says “no tools required “. I’m looking for something else but I noticed these.;)

Kris, they have self tapping concrete screws, they are called tapcon, come in different sizes  easy to use. Use them the same way you would use a screw to hang your curtain.

You do need a drill for them

1 hour ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Kris, they have self tapping concrete screws, they are called tapcon, come in different sizes  easy to use. Use them the same way you would use a screw to hang your curtain.

Tapcons are the answer if you’re dealing with concrete.

10 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Tapcin screws still need a smalllpilot hole, but they are very easy to use. That would be my vote. 

Oh man, those windows would look really nice trimmed out. Then you could mount rods to the trim. 

I don't just get voices in my head. I get pictures too. I can see them complete and it's really cool. Even a plant shelf for the sill.

31 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Oh man, those windows would look really nice trimmed out. Then you could mount rods to the trim. 

I don't just get voices in my head. I get pictures too. I can see them complete and it's really cool. Even a plant shelf for the sill.

How are you going to anchor the trim to the window?  Won't that still involve drilling holes for the tapcins/anchors?

Duffield

I do this stuff for a living. Just use a hammer drill and drill the holes. Place the anchors in the holes, then attach the brackets to the wall, done. Over thinking and looking for an easy way out just wastes time. Sticky tape products are not very successful. Tapcons work about half the time. Takes the proper tools and strength to install them properly. Do it right the first time and you're done. Once you've figured out how to attach things to block and concrete you'll use that knowledge for lots of other projects. Just do it!

7 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

How are you going to anchor the trim to the window?  Won't that still involve drilling holes for the tapcins/anchors?

Duffield

Anchor the trim. Curtain rods attach to the trim. 

There should be some type of wood framing around the window. Probably, 1 x 3 pine. Unless, they glued the drywall directly to the CMU. 

My vote is for a 1/4” hole, 1/4” x  1 1/2” long lead anchor and 1 1/4”  #10 sheet metal screw for this application in concrete block. I don’t like or use plastic anchors. 

But I have to ask, how are those blinds attached? Wood screws or concrete anchors? In my limited experience on concrete and block structures, window and door openings are typically framed with 2x4 (or 6 or 8) for windows and doors to nail/screw to. I still think I’d check and see if there is wood under that sheet rock within the first couple inches up from the top, and to the sides of the finished window opening, but no more higher or wider than that. Too high or wide and you’d miss any wood underneath and be back in block again. Hopefully there’s some wood there, and you could simply use a drywall or wood screw.

No wood frame around the windows.   If I were to guess, the blinds are mounted into the concrete.  They were part of the house when we purchased it so I don't know for sure.  If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the hole I started with,  You can clearly see concrete under the drywall.

I looked at the first picture more thoroughly. It appears that the drywall or plaster is attached directly to the CMU, concrete masonry unit (block).

You're going to have to drill into the block and use anchors. Plastic anchors will work and are more forgiving if you don't drill exact centers. You may want to get a small punch and make a little dimple where the hole needs to be drilled, it'll make it easier to start the drill. Also, use a drill with a clutch, set it to a light setting until you figure out how much effort is needed to tighten the screws then increase the clutch tension. Use hex head screws and they can be removed much easier than phillips heads. 

Archived