SASS Wire Forum

Need Help with Value of Firearms

Clay Thornton

Howdy Cowboys and Cowgirls,  I am helping a Cowgirl here in Iowa sell some of her CAS firearms locally and I am out of my league on the value of a handful of them.  If they were RNV or 1873's not a big deal, I would know them, but I have never shot let alone know the value of these couple of Marlin's and the Uberti pistols.  I am looking for a couple of cowboys or cowgirls to provide me with an approximate value of the described firearms below.  Thanks so much in advance!

All of the firearms described are used, but certainly NOT abused.  These folks did a great job maintaining these firearms.   They show the normal stock wear that comes with playing our game, a few bumps and bruises but no cracks or deep gouges.  

1. Marlin (Top on pic Below) - 1894 Carbine in 38 special.  It is not short-stroked but it does have some slicking up done to it as the action has some swirled jeweling to it. It is old enough to have clear JM stamp with a circle around it.  

2. Marlin (Bottom on pic below) - 1894 Cowboy Limited in 38 special.  Again this one is not short stroked, and it does not appear to have any work done to it.  However the owners have used it enough that it does feel slick.  You could say this one was loosened up just by shooting it.  While I did not find a JM with a circle around it, there was a smaller JM stamped on it but without a circle around it.  

3. Birds Head Pistols - Uberti birds head revolvers in 38 special, 3.5 inch barrels. The action are what Uberti would call the old model, so they have the 4 clicks and no transfer bars.  They did not say stallion on them, but they were certainly made for smaller hands.  Again no sign of work done to them, however they are smooth.  Again I would say they were loosened up with just shooting them.

4. Normal Pistols - Uberti revolver in 38 special, 5.5 inch barrels.  Again 4 clicks with no transfer bars.  Their was no additional identification on them like stallion, or cattleman, etc.  These did not feel like smaller guns, they felt similar in my hand as my NMV but lighter.  Again no sign of work done to them, however they were  smooth.  Again I would say they were loosened up with just shooting them.  

Thanks so much in advance for your expertise in helping out here!  

Have a great rest of the weekend and an even better week!

IMG_20190511_145138346_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190511_145121403_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190511_145115183_HDR.jpg

1. $700-$900, quick sale $600, being JM stamped helps.

2. $800-$1100 I've seen these all over the place price wise.

3. $500-$800, Look like a normal size frame, not the Stallion size frame; I could be wrong. Also those "birdhead" grips don't look like the factory "birdhead" grips, look like someone made them from an army grip; I suppose it could be camera angle.

4. $700-$800. Trade in value at the big box stores for these is $250 each. So you should be able th o get $700 here pretty easy and $600 if you want to move them pretty quick.

My dos centavos.

Does it say 'Cowboy Limited' and '.38 Special' on that oct barreled Marlin?

I ask because we own 2 of the 38 C/L's, and the rec'r is case colored, not blued......

May I ask for the first 2 numbers of the serial number? So I can 'date' the rifle.

TNX,

OLG

I knew someone was ask me for serial numbers. I don't remember I should have taken a picture of it but something tells me I remember a 9 and a 4 as the first two digits. It did say 1984 cowboy limited. 

Marlin Comps were the only ones I know of with case colors... I have 3 CLs. all blue

2 hours ago, Clay Thornton said:

I knew someone was ask me for serial numbers. I don't remember I should have taken a picture of it but something tells me I remember a 9 and a 4 as the first two digits. It did say 1984 cowboy limited. 

TY-I posted before my first(LARGE)cup of coffee. :rolleyes: :blush:

I did read C/L as you posted, but my 1 work'n brain cell was think'n "Cowboy Competition". -_-

Only the CC in .38 has the color case rec'r & bolt, and is chambered for the .38 Special only.

If 94 are the first two of the serial. Then it was made in 2006.

PLZ confirm when you can, that the bbl of that Marlin is not marked for .357 mag and .38.

Image result for marlin cowboy limited 357 mag barrel markings

OLG

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TY-I posted before my first(LARGE)cup of coffee. :rolleyes: :blush:

I did read C/L as you posted, but my 1 work'n brain cell was think'n "Cowboy Competition". -_-

Only the CC in .38 has the color case rec'r & bolt, and is chambered for the .38 Special only.

If 94 are the first two of the serial. Then it was made in 2006.

PLZ confirm when you can, that the bbl of that Marlin is not marked for .357 mag and .38.

Image result for marlin cowboy limited 357 mag barrel markings

OLG

It looks just like the one you have posted there. 

I can only relate to prices that other Cowboy shooters have told me they personally paid and/or sold

these for:

#1 - most carbine models, even in good shape seem to be in the $400-650 range.   

#2 - The Cowboy Limited model can usually sell reasonably quick for $800.   But like Tyrel stated,

I have seen these prices all over the board, with a minimum price at $1000 for the .38/,357 caliber.

The .45 Colt caliber will bring less than $1000, usually a few hundred less.

..........Widder

I think both pairs of pistols may be Stallions.  Looks like the Stallion basepin on both, plus the plowhandle grips look a little large for the frame.  Is the firing pin spring loaded and mounted in the frame, and does the barrel say .38 Spcl instead of .357?  If so, both are Stallions.

15 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think both pairs of pistols may be Stallions.  Looks like the Stallion basepin on both, plus the plowhandle grips look a little large for the frame.  Is the firing pin spring loaded and mounted in the frame, and does the barrel say .38 Spcl instead of .357?  If so, both are Stallions.

Not sure here, is there a value difference in stallions vs non-stallions?

10 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

Not sure here, is there a value difference in stallions vs non-stallions?

I think a Stallion is a bit less expensive than a Cattleman.  You can look at new prices to verify that.

Archived