SASS Wire Forum

Washing shooting clothes

Orient Express

Hi pards,

Something that's been on my mind for a long time is how to wash my shooting clothes. Since the clothes probably accumulate quite a bit lead dust from shooting I've always washing them separately from my other clothes. Or am I overthinking it? Do you wash your clothes after every shooting session and separate from your other clothes?

I do then run the washer through another cycle before my wife and son's clothes get washed. Probably overkill and I'm sure some folks think I'm foolish but I'd hate to have my loved ones get high lead count because I washed everything together.

Rafe

I just give them to my wife and she washes them with the rest of my clothes.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

You probably have more lead in your water   I get very concerned when I see Shooters have their children shooting and inhaling all the airborne lead these kids have no idea that they are being exposed to this danger and that they are at risk to future medical problems. I would never allow my children or grandchildren to be exposed in this way. But each of us make our own choices.  :FlagAm:

Yes.

I put a seat cover on my car seat prior to the match, have a couple of de-lead wipes on my hand.  Careful to wipe my face prior to drink.eat anything.  Wash my hands in cold water too.  Always try to wear gloves when working the lead soaked steel.

Come home, hose boots off and run a load with the clothes and seat cover in de-lead detergent in it, shoot poly coated bullets and take Hawaian Spirulina .  Gloves on when cleaning guns (and I hate cleaning).

Yes, many of you will consider this overkill, but it is just my way of providing cheap insurance.  I have a light back ground in contamination issues, and feel lead dust is kind of funny the way it gets on things and stays there. 

FWIW, all the info I garnered here regarding it as well.  I ain't obsessed with it (meaning if I forgot all my kit I'd still shoot).

But as well, your mileage may vary :ph34r:

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Never done any of that I have tested the house and nothing in or around the living areas .My reloading room has a bit and I do not allow any children in there I clean my brass outside. I eat lots  leafy green veggies and detox and my levels are at 12 . I remember being rained on with agent Orange overseas and ever since I came home I  detox and flush out the toxins. Never smoked or did drugs and drink very little Alcohol and this seems to work for me. :FlagAm:

Wish I could get the lead out of my pants so my transitions would be faster!!!  

We add an 'extra rinse' to the cycle, and wash separate from the rest.

Boots stay outside until I blow'em off with compressor and wipe them down.

Gun cart gets the compressor treatment also.

We try to take a shower within the week---:lol:

OLG

Ya know, we've been doing this for almost a quarter of a century, and we're careful to wash our hands before we eat, but it never occurred to me that laundry could be an issue.  At my age, I think I'll continue not to worry about it.

I wash all of my shooting clothes separately, in cold water, and usually on the gentle cycle.  Once washed, I then hang them up to dry, as they are all 100% cotton, and I do not want them to shrink in the dryer.  Been doing this ever since I started shooting.  I'm not concerned about lead, and never have been.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We try to take a shower within the week---:lol:

OLG

Which week??  The week of Christmas, the week of Independence Day, week of Halloween?

I confess I never thought about lead contamination in my clothing following a match.

I do wash everything after I come home, but it's more for the sweat and visible dirt.

How many rounds are you fellows shooting at a match?

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I confess I never thought about lead contamination in my clothing following a match.

I do wash everything after I come home, but it's more for the sweat and visible dirt.

Depends on how many times I miss.  Current rate is about twice what anyone else shoots. :o

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes and believe it or not a bath at least once between matches :lol:

Whether you need it or not.

20 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

6-8 stages, is the norm here.

OLG

Never worried about it in all these decades and my Doc says my levels are fine. I do use De-Lead soap after loading however. Using gloves to load is a PIA in my opinion.

Archived