SASS Wire Forum

The History Of Wind Chimes

Subdeacon Joe

That’s Funny!

Years ago my daughter asked me about wind chimes and where they came from. I told her that in Medieval times people would hang bones from strings to clank together in the wind to ward off diseases and evil spirits. 

Later that day my wife came out to the garage and gave me hell for filling our daughter’s head with “bunk”...Well, I thought was funny...:rolleyes:

Just now, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Those things need an off switch at night! :P

We have about a dozen of them, four of which are in a tree next to our bedroom window.  We indulged ourselves and bought good quality tuned chimes that are quite pleasant to hear at night.  One example, in the upper left of the image is a button to play the sounds

https://www.chimes.com/Encore-Chimes-of-Earth---Bronze-DCB37/?SelectedSKU=DCB37

happen to have those, as well as a couple of other planets.  Unfortunately, it's too windy here to hang them up.

29 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

happen to have those, as well as a couple of other planets.  Unfortunately, it's too windy here to hang them up.

Yep.  5 or 6 of that series,  plus a few others.   One of which Lisa won by submitting a video of our chimes.

It's a shame you can't hang yours.  

Until I heard the tunes wind chimes I hadn't liked them. 

I saw giant wind chimes in an Ace Hardware store in Arkansas, but they were expensive.  Like these:

Not sure the neighborhood would appreciate them, but great sound!

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I saw giant wind chimes in an Ace Hardware store in Arkansas, but they were expensive.  Like these:

Not sure the neighborhood would appreciate them, but great sound!

I BET they were expensive!  I'd love to have some like that.  Must have taken a long time to tune them.  As well as some good machining.

I had a neighbor in Oregon who made a wind chime out of various sized high pressure gas cylinders like oxygen and acetylene tanks. I called them the wind chimes from hell.

The 3rd breezy night after he proudly installed them on his back patio cover I paid him a visit and we discussed his future if he didn’t remove them.

They came down that night.

He did keep one of the cylinders and hung it up on a clothes line pole near my yard. He had his fat little boy go bang on it once in a while to irritate me. 

I was planning the removal and theft of it, but never got a chance to act on it. Nature fixed the problem for me. Wasps moved into it and made a nest. It seems the fat little boy and his obnoxious mom got stung when he banged on it to annoy the neighbors. 

I like wasps now...

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a neighbor in Oregon who made a wind chime out of various sized high pressure gas cylinders like oxygen and acetylene tanks.

You mean he made tuned targets for your .22 or pellet rifle? :D

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now that’s funny! :lol::lol::lol:

On 5/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s Funny!

Years ago my daughter asked me about wind chimes and where they came from. I told her that in Medieval times people would hang bones from strings to clank together in the wind to ward off diseases and evil spirits. 

Later that day my wife came out to the garage and gave me hell for filling our daughter’s head with “bunk”...Well, I thought was funny...:rolleyes:

Bunk or not, I can see where that might happen, and for that reason!

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Not that bad an idea!

Rye Miles and I were at the end stage down at Firelands and the plates, when shot in a particular sequence, sounded familiar ...

We looked at one another and Rye allowed as that sounded like a pretty good musical scale and I allowed as he was right!

Archived