SASS Wire Forum

Transitions: Remember what’s important

Shooting Bull

This past weekend I was blessed to be on a posse with Ole #4. Not only is he a hoot to shoot with and an all around nice person, he’s also a fantastic Cowboy Action shooter. He was kind enough to share some things he noticed I could improve.

One of the things he noticed was on a stage with movement. When I finished shooting my rifle I put it down and started grabbing for the next gun while standing still. I knew better. If you’d asked me I would have sworn I was moving. Nope, standing there flat footed wasting time. 

If you truly want to improve,  this illustrates the importance of having someone watch or video tape you. What you think you’re doing might not actually be what you’re doing. So, what are some of the transition improvements you concentrate on? And what are some of the common transition mistakes you see people make? 

I learned a whole lot about this last week when I had the chance to shoot with T Bone Dooley and High Plains Hud on my posse. I will think about some of the things I noted and post them later. No wasted movements for sure. Positioning themselves to the best advantage of the next gun, etc.

Good topic!

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Are u sure that was 4 u were shootin with?

:rolleyes::P

kR

I think the move to AZ put some  "pep in his step"....maybe the fear of scorpions, rattlesnakes, or bad outlaws.:D

12 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Positioning themselves to the best advantage of the next gun, etc.

Good topic!

Indeed.

And if I might also add, positioning their firearms that when they pick them up, no extra movements are

needed to get clear shots at the targets.

To often I see a shooter stage a long gun on a table.  They move to that table, pick up the long gun and before

making it ready to fire, have to move a few inches or a foot over in order to get a clear shot at their 

targets.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I think the move to AZ put some  "pep in his step"....maybe the fear of scorpions, rattlesnakes, or bad outlaws.:D

Well... at least on Sunday he was in a good mood... I paid him for some shotgun work I needed after day one!  It's so much nicer when your shotgun closes all the way!

8 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Could be. I think he's afraid Black Fire Opal Annie is gonna beat him she's gittin pretty good.

:o

kR

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

To often I see a shooter stage a long gun on a table.  They move to that table, pick up the long gun and before

making it ready to fire, have to move a few inches or a foot over in order to get a clear shot at their 

targets.

..........Widder

Foot shuffling is one I see a lot

Moving to the shotgun, pick it up and then grab the shells.  Instead of having the shells in hand when they get to the shotgun.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, Kid Rich said:

Could be. I think he's afraid Black Fire Opal Annie is gonna beat him she's gittin pretty good.

:o

kR

BFOA just won LFC at the 4-Corners Regional.   Yes, she is getting fast.

glad ol' 4 is still kickin' . Shot with him for quite a few years up in the Portland, Oregon area, say HOWDY to him for me, 

on video I catch myself thinking too much and moving slow to next position because of it. This last shoot I made sure to HAUL AZZ to the next position, now to keep doing it.

23 hours ago, Dead Eye Jake said:

Moving to the shotgun, pick it up and then grab the shells.  Instead of having the shells in hand when they get to the shotgun.

I do that...

Since we're talking about wasting time with the shotgun I noticed another thing I was doing (not doing) that's wasting time. 

Let's assume you have four shotgun targets, two on each side of the bay.  After you engage the first set you need to move your barrels while you're shucking empty shells and loading fresh ones.  Don't just stand there with your gun pointed at the targets that are already down.  When you finish your reload and close the action you should already be pointing at the two new targets.  Waiting to move to the new targets after you reload is wasting time. 

Actually... move BEFORE you close the action, then STOP, close the action & engage the new targets.

And, with the exception of those ranges that have a "plant & poke rule", load while you're MOVING.  

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Since we're talking about wasting time with the shotgun I noticed another thing I was doing (not doing) that's wasting time. 

Let's assume you have four shotgun targets, two on each side of the bay.  After you engage the first set you need to move your barrels while you're shucking empty shells and loading fresh ones.  Don't just stand there with your gun pointed at the targets that are already down.  When you finish your reload and close the action you should already be pointing at the two new targets.  Waiting to move to the new targets after you reload is wasting time. 

Good point SH...and if another gun is next,  shucking the first two hulls might be done while in stride of taking a step or two towards that next shooting position (half step for you) ...assuming there is still a visual of last two shotgun targets.  In this illustration, there is chance to  "shave time" (as Wes would say) in the step gained towards next shooting position.

A good pre-stage visual is great in planning many attempts such as this. (How wide is shotgun shooting "window" and how wide is stage in relation of two pairs of shotgun targets.)

Good thread.

One I was rel guilty of last weekend, partially due to me shoulder. Stage called to start with rifle in hand. I started with in hand but down by my waste, so at the buzzer cocked and raised to my shoulder. A lot of time wasted compared to starting with rifle already at the shoulder.

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ya know, this whole thing about transi-whatever, is ruining women's sports.

Just my opinion...

:mellow:

So long as Bruce Caitlyn Jenner doesn't show up for a SASS match, we're OK, Phantom.

12 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

And what's a Caitlyn Jenner?

Poor Phantom got all mixed up in the gender thing....as in Jenner.  Hope we don't offend some lady shooter or at least one we thought was a lady....o never mind.   Phantom, it's Shooting Bull's fault.

Being from the Northwest I have been able to shoot with Ol #4 multiple times and being in the same category 1. He has beat me multiple times and 2.  Has helped me get better and 3. Shown me that the game is just a game and should be fun. 

40 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ya know, this whole thing about transi-whatever, is ruining women's sports.

Just my opinion...

:mellow:

I know Phantom is poking fun, but I'm here to tell you that the issue is definitely starting to come to a head.  Watching it happen in fencing right now.  Several of the women currently competing on a national level used to be men.  Creating a real problem in the women's events.

Oh, yeah and...… It's Shooting Bull's fault!

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

I guess you are not a good dancer either...Maybe some ballet lessons to gain some grace in your movements...

Texas Lizard

Actually, China Camp and Prairie Weet took Ball Room dancing lessons. He said it really helped with his shooting. Smooth transitioning...

I've always said since that running a stage is like performing a Ball Room dance...not that I know how to do Ball Room dances...but you get the drift...maybe...

Cheers!

Phantom

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually, China Camp and Prairie Weet took Ball Room dancing lessons. He said it really helped with his shooting. Smooth transitioning...

I've always said since that running a stage is like performing a Ball Room dance...not that I know how to do Ball Room dances...but you get the drift...maybe...

Cheers!

Phantom

Phantom you bring up a name I remember...As I head to EOT this it was one of the last times I ran into China Camp...The wife and I went to Santa Fe....Looking over the sights and who should I run into...China Camp introduced my wife as we all just seeing the sights....Couple months later told her what happened....As for Shooting Bull, ballroom dancing just would not work....Ballet, ya...He would look great in a tutu....Might even teach him which foot is left and right...

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

I guess you are not a good dancer either...Maybe some ballet lessons to gain some grace in your movements...

Texas Lizard

I have noticed that if I'm playing Call of Duty well, or for that matter if I'm doing well on Rock Band I tend to do well during matches too.  Guess it's an eye hand coordination thing.

41 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Phantom you bring up a name I remember...As I head to EOT this it was one of the last times I ran into China Camp...The wife and I went to Santa Fe....Looking over the sights and who should I run into...China Camp introduced my wife as we all just seeing the sights....Couple months later told her what happened....As for Shooting Bull, ballroom dancing just would not work....Ballet, ya...He would look great in a tutu....Might even teach him which foot is left and right...

Texas Lizard

Must have been 2008. My wife and I were on our move to Texas, coming down from Denver (the move cancelled my ability to go to EOT that year). Called China Camp up and we decided to meet in Santa Fe for brunch. 

I know this isn't about China Camp...but I miss him a lot...

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Must have been 2008. My wife and I were on our move to Texas, coming down from Denver (the move cancelled my ability to go to EOT that year). Called China Camp up and we decided to meet in Santa Fe for brunch. 

I know this isn't about China Camp...but I miss him a lot...

Phantom

Me too Phantom. CC was one of my early meets when I got into sport...he and I had more than shooting in common....our profession.  Such a fine man.

Now back to dancing, well sort of.  .   One particular shooter that you soon will have to deal with is Aint Dunnit.  Not only is he extremely a fast FCD, but for a very big man, he gets around very fast and smooth.  Guess what, he and Ima are excellent dancers.  I enjoy watching them at the SITS banquet/dance.

As many of us get older, we find getting from A to B a bit slower...maybe I should take up dancing.  I know Sassy would like that as she is a very good dancer and I am not.  Guess I spent to much time playing drums in R-N-R band instead of being on dance floor...but then at that time I did not know two or three decades later I would be competing in this great sport and needing to move smooth and fast.

Archived