SASS Wire Forum

1873 Firing pin replacement

Howdy Gents,

Getting ready for a match tomorrow and my Codymatic's firing pin comes rolling out the barrel.  Any recommendations for a high quality replacement?

I was just looking at the one from pioneer that is .015 longer and looks like higher quality, anyone have experience with this one?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tye

Pioneer's item is great.   I normally use Cowboys and Indian pins, but have used the Pioneer.  

As for the Pioneer's extra length, I've not had any bad side effects.

Question:  Is the extra length for more reliable ignition, or to be ground down for proper fitment?  For example, my Taylor as it can had light primer strikes, and I had to add a little more oompf to the hammer spring.  Will a slightly longer pin allow me to back off the hammer spring?

Question:  Is the extra length for ...

Better ignition, especially with a replacement light mainspring.

And....

Maybe

PLUS ONE to Garrison Joe. 

Plus, OEM Firing Pins are often just a mite "short."  Your looking for 40 to 50 thou protrusion.

PS:  Forgot.  The business end should/may also be re-profiled for a more "Pointy" impact point.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, David Balthazar said:

Question:  Is the extra length for more reliable ignition, or to be ground down for proper fitment?  For example, my Taylor as it can had light primer strikes, and I had to add a little more oompf to the hammer spring.  Will a slightly longer pin allow me to back off the hammer spring?

Pioneer over length work well David Balthazar. Youll be pleased!;)

I recently got a slixpin firing pin from Long Hunter (longhunt.com). Works great and very fast shipping (2 days). Is slightly longer than stock.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up with the Cowboy and Indians firing pin and it miked 1.98 and the stock one at 1.94.  I tried to just drop it in but the potrusion was way to far out causing a pretty good dimple in the primer when I closed the action.  Trimed to 1.955 and it sits just under flush with the bolt face, no primer dimples and .015 longer than stock.  I am pleased with the outcome and appreciate the guidance you guys offered.

Tye  

Archived